Pairing Foxy and Sunny

Edgo

May 7, 2021
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Pacific parrotlets 3 breeding pairs. 1 white red eye female, 1 green pied male and 1 hand raised white female
Foxy is the white female and Sunny is the male pied. Foxy has been with my wife and me since 10 days old and been flying around the house (and owning it) for a little less than a year. We bought Sunny from the Bird show last March. We hope they pair up but Foxy is too spoiled and Sunny is very quiet. We took Sunny inside the house in a small cage hoping that he can get used to us as he was not hand reared. We don’t know how old he is but we think he is about 6 months old. When we opened the cage of Sunny to have him fly around, he was not used to flying at all and was dodgy landing. So far Foxy ignores Sunny but shows off her flying skills and it’s been 3 days that Sunny is with us. We want to hear if it’s a good idea to mate them.

HdUM5CO.jpg

vkeAeTV.jpg

Attachments

• 25345789-5944-4397-8FDD-728E675593F6.jpg
    25345789-5944-4397-8FDD-728E675593F6.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 100
  • 1F9A0D89-AAFF-436A-9481-7C376A9024C3.jpg
    1F9A0D89-AAFF-436A-9481-7C376A9024C3.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 94
Last edited by a moderator:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
If the two represent your experiment with mating Parrots, your headed for a very costly experience that has as much change of ending in the death of the chicks as being beyond lucky and everything working out prefect. Parrot breeding requires experience commonly learning from an experienced mentor commonly over several years. Expense equipment and tons of hours of hands on feeding and caring for the chicks when the parents reject them. Also helps to have an Avian Medial Professional available as it is not uncommon to be rushing with a very sick parrot.

This is work and it comes with expensive equipment and poor returns on investment!

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Its not a good idea to mate them..in all likelihood...

I would not breed them unless you have extensive apprenticeship experience in that department and a lot of equipment. I KNOW it sounds super sweet and easy, but often times, birds are bad parents and the onus will fall on you to do round-the-clock feedings, watch them peck their babies or neglect them...It also is a health risk for the female and the babies will mate with parents and siblings at sexual maturity, so I am hoping you have a brooder, hand feeding equipment, a TON of experience and lots of separate cages.

Let's say the babies do survive..Then what?

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
It looks like you have had experience with breeding parrotlets in the past.

You have to give them time.

Most parrots bond for life and it's not something that normally happens overnight.

texsize.

Most Reactions

Latest posts