Pairing Goffins— Sibling or Separate flock?

mdjmsmith2

Dec 14, 2021
Okay I need your advice… we are looking to buy a male and female Goffin Cockatoo but we are not looking to mate the birds, for companionship only.

I have heard two sides regarding matching up pairs and need your advice based on everyone’s experience.

The first is that getting two birds from different flocks does not guarantee they will get along. In fact the male may become aggressive towards the female. In the wild in order to find a mate they need a large flock as they choose their own mate.

However, with siblings they may start to mate and you don’t want that, so you have to be on top of their behavior constantly and change out the good eggs with fake ones. Just a lot of extra work and stress.

So what is the best route to take? Purchase a pair from siblings or a male and female from different flocks? Meaning separate breeders…

What is your advice please?

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Honestly, there isn't a way of guaranteeing the birds won't breed. It's fine to get siblings and keep them together but if they start breeding, separate them.

OP
M

mdjmsmith2

Dec 14, 2021
if you dont want breeding why are you getting a male/female pair
Companionship— I have experience that the same sex pairs create more tension, competition and leads to aggression.
I would be happy with a sibling pair if I can just get tips on how not to encourage mating behavior.

I have also read that they do better if they have been raised together, less aggression.

Just reaching out for opinions based on experience… please no snide comments.

D

Deleted member 42416

I am so paranoid of egg binding in any female. I think the most ideal situation would be 2 brothers from the same clutch. Often, young birds even from different clutches coming into a new environment at the same time may also work. I think it’s when someone gets to settle in first that territorial behavior may ensue and impede the bird-bird bonding.

My vote is for 2 boys!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Joyous congratulations for choosing a pair of Goffins - perhaps the most underrated cockatoo species! I have a family of five spanning 33 years from acquisition of wild-caught pair. My advice mirrors Beak-Beak-Kiss above, pair of males. Presence of opposite sex couples guaranteed to turbocharge hormones at times even in absence of nest box. That said, female Goffins tend to be a bit sweeter and more compliant. My concern is territoriality of viable hens may preclude long term harmony.

My initial pair gifted us with two male and one female offspring. Without boring you with minutiae of housing, males appear most congenial in groups. I eventually separated wild-caught couple in aftermath of infamous cockatoo aggression - matriarch happily tamed and living with two of her sons. Both boys good buddies but one will occasionally mount the female. Trio lives in large room, never caged, no access to nesting accoutrements. Female offspring dislikes birds in general, happily bonded to her "people."

Goffins typically have vibrant, loving, playful personalities and have proven quite hardy in captivity!

OP
M

mdjmsmith2

Dec 14, 2021
Thank you all so much for your opinions! I have greatly enjoyed reading them and forming an opinion of my own.

My take away is that getting a pair just for the sake of companionship may not be the best solution.

Scott, your comment regarding that females are more sweeter and compliant and that your female offspring is content with just her humans made me think.

Since I am not trying to breed, what if I just get a female this time?

Yes, I will do that instead of stressing about getting a pair. On the surface a pair sounds good but that doesn’t always mean that it is.

Again, thank you all for your opinions, I really appreciate them!

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I don't have cockatoo. Scott is the expert and has thus species and lots if experience with them
But in general I think parrots do better with a bird freind, sure all above points are valid, and true. But most of us do have more than one bird. And it is easier much more likely they will form a friendship if both are added young .

I took in a rescue who had lived as sole burd for 10 years, she didn't know how to. Be a burd or interactive with other burds...that took years to overcome. On the other hand I had a solo green cheek for 10 years, and when I added a second green cheek young one they were instant freinds ...lol so I guess they are each unique.

I read a lot of behavior stuff, and Pamala Clark is one of my favorites, she also thinks most parrots do benefit from having another parrot around.
Definitely take in all the wise advice given above and do your own research too. There are plenty of hiccups that can happen with multiple birds. I myself feel that any hiccups can be managed. I have multiple parrots i took in as rescue and re homes of different species. There have bern issues to manage. But over all I think it has improved my parrots happiness.
Many have a solo parrot that are equally happy and well adjusted, and many of us have more than one .
Best wishes for you and your bird or birds .

I think the most important for those new to birds, is they take a lot of time, are way more messy than you are expecting . And even good birds are going to make noise .

Last edited:
OP
M

mdjmsmith2

Dec 14, 2021
Laurasea, your arguments are well placed. That was my original thinking and your point of view pulls on my heart strings.

I will put more thought into my final decision before I run with it. Thank you for your opinion.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Thank you all so much for your opinions! I have greatly enjoyed reading them and forming an opinion of my own.

My take away is that getting a pair just for the sake of companionship may not be the best solution.

Scott, your comment regarding that females are more sweeter and compliant and that your female offspring is content with just her humans made me think.

Since I am not trying to breed, what if I just get a female this time?

Yes, I will do that instead of stressing about getting a pair. On the surface a pair sounds good but that doesn’t always mean that it is.

Again, thank you all for your opinions, I really appreciate them!
Starting with a female and evaluating companionship an excellent idea! Family dynamics over time help influence quest for additional parrots. Many find a single cockatoo sates desires while others crave multiples. Goffins have ability to thrive in pairs and with their human servants!

Most Reactions