paisley can't catch a break. :(

Janedeaux

Mar 10, 2012
Mississippi
Parrots
Sunday/gold capped hybrid conures: mystic and gypsy
Sun: Paisley
Poor baby. I walked outside under my carport yesterday and paisley was inside on the play stand. after a bit I go back inside and she's not on her cage. I found her in mystic and gypsies room, which was supposed to be closed. apparently she had gotten on top of their cage and one of them bit her toe! the front half was gone! So I put styptic powder on it. I know it has to hurt. she's very depressed acting and I'm babying get as much as possible. I feel terrible. my husband left the door open by mistake!

I know she'll be fine, but still very upset.

Grinder

Jan 26, 2013
East Coast, U.S.
Parrots
Military Macaw - 'Lady",
GW Macaw - "Jazzy"
That's awful. Poor Paisely. While the injury is terrible, it's good that it's the worse that happened. How much of the toe is gone? Can she still perch confidently?

MissTaz

May 11, 2013
Utah
Parrots
Rory ~ A male turquoise green cheek conure ~ Hatched 02-12-2013
Oh that is so sad!!! I'm so sorry!

OP
Janedeaux

Janedeaux

Mar 10, 2012
Mississippi
Parrots
she is climbing and perching fine. but favoring it of course when she's perching. I know it Willsurely be sore for a week or two. I'm still feeling so guilty and my heart hurts for her. it'smy responsibility to keep her 100% protected and I failed her. and she just wants to be loved. I'm sure she is confused why they did that! it's like when my little boy got bit by a strange little girl once that I was going to look after for an evening. the look on his face was just confusion. he had never even heard of people biting, much less being bit. needless to say, after the same child then also pulled his hair she went home instead. anyway, that's how I feel paisley must feel. hurt and confused.

OP
Janedeaux

Janedeaux

Mar 10, 2012
Mississippi
Parrots
Okay, after swelling has gone down and blood and powder cleaned off, I believe I can say that it was just a toe nail! to the quick, but some toenail remains! May even grow back. I sure hope so.

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
Need to change the title to, "Paisley Toe-tally Lucks Out"

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Paisley's toe nail should grow back out, he kinda lucked out with just the toe nails being bitten off. When one of my babies flew to the Cockatoo's cage and stuck their head into his cage while he was right there about to attack. I pulled the baby's back out and shield it with my hand so Java couldn't do damage or even cause the baby's death. I would of been bit instead but he didn't so I was luck...lol...It was a quick reaction and I about freaked out. So incidents like this reminds you later on so your hubby will probably be more careful next time. Don't be too hard on yourself!!!

Nocturnal

May 15, 2013
A secret place
Parrots
||Mika, 23 yo senegal parrot||Cayenne, 5 yo sun conure||Katana, 6 yo cockatiel||Monk, 4 yo peachfaced lovie||Onyx, 8 yo BH caique||Pluto & Neptune, 4 yo budgies||Tauntaun, 17 yo U2||
Aww, I'm so sorry to hear that--- You can rest confident though that the missing toe will not effect her lifestyle much (if at all). I know at least two birds that have half of all four toes missing on one foot and they use that one as their "eating hand" and grip with the good foot.

My own cockatoo lost the claw on one foot to my senegal, and my caique was bitten badly by an african gray and I doubt her claw will grow back.

Grenage

Jun 1, 2012
Portsmouth, UK.
Parrots
Aizen: YS-GCC
If there's nail, it'll grow back. My bird came to me with a half a toe missing, and he doesn't seem to be bothered; not that I'd know if he was, he might have a deep complex. ;)

MissTaz

May 11, 2013
Utah
Parrots
Rory ~ A male turquoise green cheek conure ~ Hatched 02-12-2013
I'm so glad that the swelling has gone down and it looks like just a toe nail went missing.!

Most Reactions

Latest posts