Pancho my Harlequin Macaw

Cindylynn

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Apr 7, 2022
Media
Albums
Hi! Thanks for letting me join! When I was a kid, we had a Catalina macaw that I adored!! We had to sell him, but I always wanted another. Fast forward to last month, my hubby got me a beautiful Harlequin Macaw for my 40th birthday!!! He was hatched on August 23, 2021!
He and I get along wonderfully. I'm learning how to be a bird MOM, not sibling. It's more work than I remember as a kid, being only a playmate, but so worth it! That being said, any advice is welcome. The only specific problem I've found is that he will play nice with others as long as I'm right there watching. As soon as I look away, he will nail whoever is holding him. Any advice on this problem would be great

Attachments

• IMG_20220314_142157302.jpg
    IMG_20220314_142157302.jpg
    274.8 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_20220324_153539670.jpg
    IMG_20220324_153539670.jpg
    302.1 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_20220324_153451045.jpg
    IMG_20220324_153451045.jpg
    370.9 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_20220314_141224685.jpg
    IMG_20220314_141224685.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_20220314_082111242.jpg
    IMG_20220314_082111242.jpg
    337.8 KB · Views: 81

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Start using the Shunning method. If he bites, say firmly, NO BITE, place him IMMEDIATELY on a near by neutral place, like a chairback (NOT his cage), turn your back on him and completely ignore him for 1 minute. No eye contact, no talking about him , nothing. After 1 minute you can try to re-establish the contact. EVERYONE must adhere to this and it must be done every time he bites.

THis ties in with bite pressure training, which we have threads on here, use the SEARCH function. IT can absolutely be corrected, but it takes time and rigorous application of the rules and methods.

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
He’s absolutely stunning. So glad the two of you are here!
Like wrench said: shunning, bite pressure training.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to you and gorgeous Pancho!! Macaws wonderful and majestic companions with endearing personalities. Large beak more apt to bluff than bite compared with other species. I'd recommend selective reading from Macaw Forum beginning with Birdman666's headliner "Beak O Phobes" thread. If you enjoy his style, plenty more available via search engine!!

Henderbird

Apr 7, 2022
Canada
Parrots
Munchkin the Sun Conure!
Hi! Thanks for letting me join! When I was a kid, we had a Catalina macaw that I adored!! We had to sell him, but I always wanted another. Fast forward to last month, my hubby got me a beautiful Harlequin Macaw for my 40th birthday!!! He was hatched on August 23, 2021!
He and I get along wonderfully. I'm learning how to be a bird MOM, not sibling. It's more work than I remember as a kid, being only a playmate, but so worth it! That being said, any advice is welcome. The only specific problem I've found is that he will play nice with others as long as I'm right there watching. As soon as I look away, he will nail whoever is holding him. Any advice on this problem would be great
Oh small world! I’ve lived and grown up with my aunt and uncles harlequin macaw AND an alexandrine! They were wonderful but the harlequin kind of was my aunts listener and just absolutely hated my uncle when she wasn’t looking but would act sort of sweet or tolerant when she was!
Now that I think about it.
Not experience with larger species, but sometimes when it comes to birds playing or interacting with others, especially kids or even people they probably are not fond of, it’s important to keep a watchful eye and supervise when necessary!
My aunt started to supervise more carefully with her macaw and my uncle! 😂

OP
C

Cindylynn

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Apr 7, 2022
Media
Albums
Oh small world! I’ve lived and grown up with my aunt and uncles harlequin macaw AND an alexandrine! They were wonderful but the harlequin kind of was my aunts listener and just absolutely hated my uncle when she wasn’t looking but would act sort of sweet or tolerant when she was!
Now that I think about it.
Not experience with larger species, but sometimes when it comes to birds playing or interacting with others, especially kids or even people they probably are not fond of, it’s important to keep a watchful eye and supervise when necessary!
My aunt started to supervise more carefully with her macaw and my uncle! 😂
They are hilarious birds. I think he likes my hubby, he will ask Jeff to approach to step up. Then when I'm not looking, bite him. It's like he's messing with him, I don't know. I just know I've gotta get it under control, because if it comes to hubby or bird, hubby wins 😂

Most Reactions