Parakeet lip biting

Cassrock80

Sep 26, 2021
Parrots
Parakeet - Bobby
My parakeet Bobby is becoming more comfortable with people. And it's great! He likes to play with hair and gently nibble at ears and fingers. Very cute. HOWEVER he has taken on a habit of biting people's lips. It's not the same cute nibbles he uses when preening other places. He really bites down and even tugs on the lips. And it hurts.
It's making my friends nervous to play and cuddle with him. Wich is sad because it's really his only drawback rn.
Anyway, it's persistent. I've tried shaking him off, pushing him away with my cheek, and even with my hands sometimes. Wich sucks because I want him to get comfortable with people petting him. And this is not making him more comfortable with being touched.
Sorry for the long rant. But if anyone has good advice on how to counteract this without making him hate me I would really appreciate it!!!

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
if she bites put her on the floor or on a back of a chair and ignore dont even look at him
try avoiding puttinga bird on a shoulder if he doesnt understand that biting isnt ok

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Unfortunately, many young birds are removed from their parents before they have a chance to be taught a few manners, such as biting hard is not OK!! This kind of behaviour would see them rapidly ostracised from their flock if it took place in the wild, and no small, vulnerable prey animal wants that!

It does sound like he is becoming very comfortable in your presence, but just needs to learn a few ground rules. When a bite occurs you should carefully remove him from you lip, or whatever else he is biting, and pop him down somewhere neutral and safe. I would avoid the floor for a budgie as they are just too small and fragile and it could lead to serious injury. It may also cause your budgie to think that the floor is a safe spot for him to land and this is not a habit you want him to get into, for safety's sake. Say the word "no" very sternly, give him a dirty look and turn your back on him for a minute or two. If he persists in biting, you can even leave the room if it is safe to do so - being very careful that he doesn't follow or get himself caught in a door if he tries to follow you. Budgies are flock creatures by nature and if his goal is to want your company, and I believe that it is, then he should soon work out that biting is not the way to get him the company and attention that he seeks.

OP
Cassrock80

Cassrock80

Sep 26, 2021
Parrots
Parakeet - Bobby
Unfortunately, many young birds are removed from their parents before they have a chance to be taught a few manners, such as biting hard is not OK!! This kind of behaviour would see them rapidly ostracised from their flock if it took place in the wild, and no small, vulnerable prey animal wants that!

It does sound like he is becoming very comfortable in your presence, but just needs to learn a few ground rules. When a bite occurs you should carefully remove him from you lip, or whatever else he is biting, and pop him down somewhere neutral and safe. I would avoid the floor for a budgie as they are just too small and fragile and it could lead to serious injury. It may also cause your budgie to think that the floor is a safe spot for him to land and this is not a habit you want him to get into, for safety's sake. Say the word "no" very sternly, give him a dirty look and turn your back on him for a minute or two. If he persists in biting, you can even leave the room if it is safe to do so - being very careful that he doesn't follow or get himself caught in a door if he tries to follow you. Budgies are flock creatures by nature and if his goal is to want your company, and I believe that it is, then he should soon work out that biting is not the way to get him the company and attention that he seeks.
I love the inclusion of giving him a dirty look lol.
My one worry is that he has gotten used to following me around the house. So if I put him down he'll probably come back pretty quick.

OP
Cassrock80

Cassrock80

Sep 26, 2021
Parrots
Parakeet - Bobby
if she bites put her on the floor or on a back of a chair and ignore dont even look at him
try avoiding puttinga bird on a shoulder if he doesnt understand that biting isnt ok
Simple enough.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
I love the inclusion of giving him a dirty look lol.
My one worry is that he has gotten used to following me around the house. So if I put him down he'll probably come back pretty quick.
It's ok if he does, just keep reinforcing the stern "no" and repeating your actions until he gets it. Try not to give him any more of a reaction than that, even though it hurts! Consistency is key, and anyone who interacts with him will need to stick to the routine. At this stage Bobby is testing out your limits so if anyone reacts to a hard bite in a different way he'll think he can keep getting away with it. Think of him as a naughty toddler, because they pretty much are :)

Good luck!

OP
Cassrock80

Cassrock80

Sep 26, 2021
Parrots
Parakeet - Bobby
It's ok if he does, just keep reinforcing the stern "no" and repeating your actions until he gets it. Try not to give him any more of a reaction than that, even though it hurts! Consistency is key, and anyone who interacts with him will need to stick to the routine. At this stage Bobby is testing out your limits so if anyone reacts to a hard bite in a different way he'll think he can keep getting away with it. Think of him as a naughty toddler, because they pretty much are :)

Good luck!
Sounds good. Thanks!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts