Parakeet rubbing off head feathers?

Cassrock80

Sep 26, 2021
Parrots
Parakeet - Bobby
I have a young 1-2 year old parakeet (female) named Poppy. About a week ago, she lost a small patch of head feathers. I didn't know how it happened, or what to do about it. So I left them to grow back, and did my best to observe her and see if anything else would happen.
Last night, while I was asleep, it happened again. But this time it's worse. She removed even more feathers and even drew blood. I say that she did it because she was in a separate cage from my other parakeet. I searched for anything sharp or hazardous that could've caused it, but I couldn't find anything. I also looked for signs of the feathers she removed or any blood. I didn't find anything. Wich isn't too surprising since the feathers are small and she didn't bleed much.
Basically, I don't know what happened.
I'm hoping someone here has dealt with similar issues or might have some advice on how to prevent this from happening in the future. So please let me know if you have any ideas!

Ps: I don't know if it's related. But this might be worth mentioning. About a month ago, my roommate shut off all the lights in the apartment before I could put them in the cages for bed. Poppy got spooked and tried to fly away. Not being able to see, she sadly scraped her head on the ceiling. The injury looked very similar to the one she has now.
Pps: I've made very sure that the birds are caged before lights out since that happened. My roommate and I learned a hard lesson and it hasn't been repeated. So no worries there. 20221208_094056.jpg

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I suspect it may be due to an injury. Perhaps she got a night fright and flew against a perch?

Keep an eye on her. If her condition escalates, then take her to an avian/exotic vet.

Most Reactions

Latest posts