Parakeet vs. Roommate

Cassrock80

Sep 26, 2021
Parrots
Parakeet - Bobby
Hey guys! Got another training question for my budgies.
I've gotten some great advice for my man Bobby (blue) in the past. Since then I've brought in Pesto (yellow face) and he's almost totally hand tamed now. Things are going good overall, but as always, there's a little trouble in paradise. I share a +1000ft apartment with 1 roommate. We get along super well, and he's alright with the birds. But sadly, they can be a bit more of an irritation to him than anything. Bobby especially now that he's flying. Bobby will land on him while he's trying to work, clean, and play video games. I love the bird's curiosity. But my roommate doesn't enjoy the interuption to his daily life. He's not super upset about it. But I can tell it bothers him. So does anyone have any advice on how to get the birds off his back a little? Weather that means making me more of a "go too" or maybe something that would repel them from him a bit? Not sure if there's much to be done. But I'd be super excited if there was something I can do to make everyone's life a bit easier.

Thanks again!

Attachments

• IMG_20211202_204636.jpg
    IMG_20211202_204636.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_20220109_211935.jpg
    IMG_20220109_211935.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 60

Ria.345

Banned
Banned
Jun 23, 2021
New York City
Parrots
Sun Conure and Umbrella Cockatoo
Hmmm thatā€™s a tricky one. Usually we get the typical ā€œhow do I get my bird to bond to my ā€œinsert family member hereā€ ā€œ but this is new. Just like you mentioned, you should be the go to for your birds and offer seeds and treats if they and whenever they land on you so they would look forward to being on you more than anyone else. Thatā€™s the only thing I can think of for now. Birds are going to land on anybody if theyā€™re confident and decently socialized and because of their curiosity getting the best of them. You could also reward your bird when they land on somewhere thatā€™s not either of you or somewhere where u want them to land where itā€™s okay such as a play stand or cage. This is all just positive reinforcement when combined with desired behavior, and it even works with trying to keep a bird OFF of someone or something where they shouldnā€™t be. Some people may say to simply clip your birds wings but that can have some cons to it so itā€™s a personal choice for you. Clipping them is a 100 percent guaranteed way to keep your birds from flying onto your friend but itā€™s not the best way to deal with the situation just for convenience. I would just take the route where u would reward good behavior and when your bird lands somewhere else thatā€™s not him. It could be just as effective if done diligently and with enough patience. Good luck friend!

OP
Cassrock80

Cassrock80

Sep 26, 2021
Parrots
Parakeet - Bobby
Hmmm thatā€™s a tricky one. Usually we get the typical ā€œhow do I get my bird to bond to my ā€œinsert family member hereā€ ā€œ but this is new. Just like you mentioned, you should be the go to for your birds and offer seeds and treats if they and whenever they land on you so they would look forward to being on you more than anyone else. Thatā€™s the only thing I can think of for now. Birds are going to land on anybody if theyā€™re confident and decently socialized and because of their curiosity getting the best of them. You could also reward your bird when they land on somewhere thatā€™s not either of you or somewhere where u want them to land where itā€™s okay such as a play stand or cage. This is all just positive reinforcement when combined with desired behavior, and it even works with trying to keep a bird OFF of someone or something where they shouldnā€™t be. Some people may say to simply clip your birds wings but that can have some cons to it so itā€™s a personal choice for you. Clipping them is a 100 percent guaranteed way to keep your birds from flying onto your friend but itā€™s not the best way to deal with the situation just for convenience. I would just take the route where u would reward good behavior and when your bird lands somewhere else thatā€™s not him. It could be just as effective if done diligently and with enough patience. Good luck friend!
You're right. And I'm honestly glad they like people, since I have groups of friends over often. And I wouldn't want to clip their wings. So I'll try to do a better job of establishing play spaces for them. Hopefully that'll help. Thanks!

Skarila

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
2021 Parrot of the Year šŸ†
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
āœ»Csillam the rescued budgie
āœ»Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
āœ»Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
āœ»RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
āœ»RIP -Sunny the budgie
Oh man... Can I be your roommate? šŸ˜–

I find it so beautiful and adorable that your birds are curious and friendly. I wish my budgie is like that!
Though I could understand your roommate to an extent - I don't know how much disturbing the birds can be when they hang around, my little conure Pascal can be very distracting mostly because he wants to sit in my hand, preen me or just destroy my stuff. I found that having his favourite thing/toy helps a lot to keep him occupied and still letting me do my thing (like being on the computer). I litteraly shove it in his face, play for a minute with him and then he will continue playing alone next to me. Win/win situation for all! When he gets bored he will often just preen on my shoulder or on the table, or just snuggle up next to my hand where my mouse is. ...Or go and bother my partner instead while he's playing games.

I guess because we love the bird so much we have high tolerance, and we want to be bothered!

Sorry I don't have good advices for your birds to leave your roomie alone.

OP
Cassrock80

Cassrock80

Sep 26, 2021
Parrots
Parakeet - Bobby
Thanks, i agree. I'm definitely thankful for them personally. But just want to make sure they aren't an issue for my roomie. And that's awesome! I've wanted a conure for a while now, and those strategies are absolutely adorable. Thanks for the input! You've hit it on the nose, we do want to be bothered sometimes. Lol

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
You're right. And I'm honestly glad they like people, since I have groups of friends over often. And I wouldn't want to clip their wings. So I'll try to do a better job of establishing play spaces for them. Hopefully that'll help. Thanks!
How would you feel if your roommate started clapping his hands or something mildly alarming when the birds land on him? Thatā€™s what I would try first. I love birds but I donā€™t always want to wear them (or their poop).

Iā€™ve read that people who donā€™t like cats can discourage a cat from rubbing up on them by staring at it and making fidgety hand and body motions. I donā€™t know how well that really works. I wonder if your roommate consistently told your keets ā€œno!ā€ and clapped or moved to dislodge them that they would learn that landing on him is fruitless?

My experience is that my birds like to do what I am pleased with and donā€™t like to do what I make unpleasant. Like saying ā€œnoā€ and wobbling my hand or putting bird back in the cage if grooming changes to biting. They key is to give the aversive response each time the bird does the misbehavior so bird understands what you donā€™t like.

If your roommate is just silently annoyed with your birds then they will keep landing on him.

The other option is keeping them in your bedroom.

A good roommate is hard to find so let your roommate know you want them to be comfortable and that the advice youā€™ve gotten is ___________. Is he willing to try _________?

OP
Cassrock80

Cassrock80

Sep 26, 2021
Parrots
Parakeet - Bobby
How would you feel if your roommate started clapping his hands or something mildly alarming when the birds land on him? Thatā€™s what I would try first. I love birds but I donā€™t always want to wear them (or their poop).

Iā€™ve read that people who donā€™t like cats can discourage a cat from rubbing up on them by staring at it and making fidgety hand and body motions. I donā€™t know how well that really works. I wonder if your roommate consistently told your keets ā€œno!ā€ and clapped or moved to dislodge them that they would learn that landing on him is fruitless?

My experience is that my birds like to do what I am pleased with and donā€™t like to do what I make unpleasant. Like saying ā€œnoā€ and wobbling my hand or putting bird back in the cage if grooming changes to biting. They key is to give the aversive response each time the bird does the misbehavior so bird understands what you donā€™t like.

If your roommate is just silently annoyed with your birds then they will keep landing on him.

The other option is keeping them in your bedroom.

A good roommate is hard to find so let your roommate know you want them to be comfortable and that the advice youā€™ve gotten is ___________. Is he willing to try _________?
The clapping might be a decent idea. I appreciate your input. I've already talked to him about this stuff. And I've been having him either shake or gently push the bird away whenever it lands on him. But Bobby especially is very stubborn LOL. So he just lands somewhere, pauses, and then returns to my roommate anyway. We've been trying to be super consistent with it but like I said the bird is stubborn LOL.
Hopefully in time they'll just catch on to the fact that he specifically doesn't appreciate the attention. But who knows?
I've also thought about moving the birds to a different room. However my room gets pretty cold and has carpeted floors so it's probably not ideal. And when I have people over they like to have the birds around. So I don't see that changing quite yet.
Thanks for your input! Hopefully some persistence will pay off.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
The clapping might be a decent idea. I appreciate your input. I've already talked to him about this stuff. And I've been having him either shake or gently push the bird away whenever it lands on him. But Bobby especially is very stubborn LOL. So he just lands somewhere, pauses, and then returns to my roommate anyway. We've been trying to be super consistent with it but like I said the bird is stubborn LOL.
Hopefully in time they'll just catch on to the fact that he specifically doesn't appreciate the attention. But who knows?
I've also thought about moving the birds to a different room. However my room gets pretty cold and has carpeted floors so it's probably not ideal. And when I have people over they like to have the birds around. So I don't see that changing quite yet.
Thanks for your input! Hopefully some persistence will pay off.
I hope it works out! I had a roommate 20 years ago who I am still friends with. My Quaker remembered him 20 years after she last saw him. He was one of her favorite people. She barfed up a pea for him and he was really grossed out. But complimented.

Maybe your bird likes your roommate because heā€™s a nice person. If you get along, your bird can feel it. You are all one big flock.

I suppose if your roommate is doing some activity and really doesnā€™t want a bird on him, he could learn to put the bird back in the cage and lock the door? It sounds like your bird is friendly and this would give you another alternative. Good luck.

OP
Cassrock80

Cassrock80

Sep 26, 2021
Parrots
Parakeet - Bobby
I hope it works out! I had a roommate 20 years ago who I am still friends with. My Quaker remembered him 20 years after she last saw him. He was one of her favorite people. She barfed up a pea for him and he was really grossed out. But complimented.

Maybe your bird likes your roommate because heā€™s a nice person. If you get along, your bird can feel it. You are all one big flock.

I suppose if your roommate is doing some activity and really doesnā€™t want a bird on him, he could learn to put the bird back in the cage and lock the door? It sounds like your bird is friendly and this would give you another alternative. Good luck.
Grossed out... But complimented. šŸ¤£ Love that. And that's a good point. He does know how to put him away, so I might make that solution more available to him. Thanks for the response.

Most Reactions