Parrot always slips on my hand

Supaoskd

Mar 20, 2022
Parrots
Apollo, around 3 months old
Male Eclectus Parrot
I have a male Eclectus parrot that knows how to step up but always slips and loses balance when he is on my hand. His primary and secondary flight feathers were clipped off before we got him. I'm no bird expert, but I assume he can't balance well on my hand because of the clipping. (He can stand steadily on perches.)

Some people say medium-sized parrots like my bird should perch on forearms, but some people prefer their birds to perch on their hands since the forearm allows the bird to have excess to their owners' shoulders. (I prefer him standing on my hand because the skin on my forearms is sensitive to his nails.)

I honestly don't know if he should step on my hand or forearm. Should I switch him to stepping on my forearm since I noticed his balance is better on it? Or should I train him to balance on my hand?

(My parrot is 7 months old not 3 and I don't know how to change the "About", sorry about that)

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The position regarding whether to have a Parrot step-on on one's forearm or hand depends much on whether you have control of your Parrot. That, knowing how to keep your Parrot from climbing up to the shoulder, which is commonly done by simply bending one's elbow creating a vertical climb, which most Parrots simply avoid.

Having issues regarding balance on your hand maybe an issue of whether your Parrot is stepping-up on the flat of your hand or on to your finger. Most Parrots find that stepping-on to your fingers allows them to rap their craws around the finger. Moving around requires you to balance your hand against your movement.

It takes a bit of time for your Parrot and you to understand each regarding movement. Remember that your Parrot has the ability to balance on a branch in the wind.

Hope that this helps!

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
(My parrot is 7 months old not 3 and I don't know how to change the "About", sorry about that)
Click your profile (in the upper right hand corner, by your notifications). Scroll down a teeny bit, and click "Account Details". Scroll down and change it!

Most Reactions

Latest posts