Parrot chewed through a phone charger

ShimmerSenegal

Sep 21, 2022
Slovakia
Parrots
Male Senegal parrot Shimmer
Female Senegal parrot Adeena
Hello,
I made a mistake of leaving my senegal parrot unattended for a few minutes and didn't try to hide phone charger, which he started to chew while I was gone. My concern is mainly the possibility of him eating some of the thin wires under plastic. I tried to search for answers and found one vet to answer the exact same problem- the answer was that it's possible, but unlikely that the parrot in question actually ate any of the wire. I found pieces of it on the floor, but just in case, what are the symptoms I should look for if he ate any? He seems to act normal so far, it happened maybe hour ago and his poop is normal, he didn't vomit or anything like that.
Thank you for answers in advance

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I agree with the vet.
I have had some of my birds chew up wire up to a near disaster of my YNA chewing the vacuum cord while it was plugged in.
I would keep an eye on his behavior and take him in if something is abnormal.

OP
ShimmerSenegal

ShimmerSenegal

Sep 21, 2022
Slovakia
Parrots
I agree with the vet.
I have had some of my birds chew up wire up to a near disaster of my YNA chewing the vacuum cord while it was plugged in.
I would keep an eye on his behavior and take him in if something is abnormal.
Thank you! I just needed some reasurance as a first time parrot owner, this is not the first time I googled the worst case scenarios and he turned out to be completely okay 😅 But I will watch his behaviour for sure, can't risk anything

JamesC

Sep 3, 2011
Knoxville, TN
Parrots
Blue Crown Conures: Tootsie and Rosco.
Senegal Parrot: Sidney.

Feathers of the past:
Budgies: Sunshine, Digit, Kiwi, and Yahto.
Senegal Parrot: Kelly.
"Fly free, little ones. Love and miss you."
My Senegal has now damaged or destroyed 3 laptop power cables and he hasn't had any health issues. He is such a fast little bugger. Each time it happened so fast that I could hardly believe that he managed to do each in one "attack". I've learned my lesson about having to keep an eye on him every moment he is out long ago but he still managed to do it none the less.

OP
ShimmerSenegal

ShimmerSenegal

Sep 21, 2022
Slovakia
Parrots
My Senegal has now damaged or destroyed 3 laptop power cables and he hasn't had any health issues. He is such a fast little bugger. Each time it happened so fast that I could hardly believe that he managed to do each in one "attack". I've learned my lesson about having to keep an eye on him every moment he is out long ago but he still managed to do it none the less.
Yeeess, my senegal is still basically a baby, but he destroys everything that gets too close to his beak. He's thankfully okay, it's been 24 hours since he chewed through it and still no sign of problems, happy, playful and hungry all the time as usual ☺ At least I know to pay more attention around potentially dangerous things

Most Reactions

Latest posts