Parrot diet(updated)

Miamax10

Mar 23, 2022
Parrots
Phoenix ELECTUS parrot
Hi about lettuce I thought alexandrine parrot can’t have lettuce 🥬 does that includes all parrots

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Hi about lettuce I thought alexandrine parrot can’t have lettuce 🥬 does that includes all parrots
Other parrots can eat lettuce, only in small quantities. Iceberg lettuce is safe for most birds, but it doesn't contain any essential nutrients and has a lot of water..

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
2 female budgies i have a green named tofu she is 1 years old(she turned one years old in April) and i have a blue budgie named sky she is the younger one she is younger then tofu by a few days
Other parrots can eat lettuce, only in small quantities. Iceberg lettuce is safe for most birds, but it doesn't contain any essential nutrients and has a lot of water.
well lettuce is good for birds that don't drink water they could just eat lettuce and at the same time eat a vegetable and drink water
that's if they don't like lettuce or vegetables

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
well lettuce is good for birds that don't drink water they could just eat lettuce and at the same time eat a vegetable and drink water
that's if they don't like lettuce or vegetables
All companion birds drink water if they are healthy. If they are ill, iceberg lettuce is helpful at getting hydration into them. While iceberg lettuce is considered a vegetable, Pipp is correct that it has no nutrients.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I hadnt ever heard if that. Always willing to learn new things , do you have a reference or link?

I feed romaine its great and has vitamin A

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
2 female budgies i have a green named tofu she is 1 years old(she turned one years old in April) and i have a blue budgie named sky she is the younger one she is younger then tofu by a few days
All companion birds drink water if they are healthy. If they are ill, iceberg lettuce is helpful at getting hydration into them. While iceberg lettuce is considered a vegetable, Pipp is correct that it has no nutrients.
i always fed my birds lettuce thinking its has a lot of nutrients i guess i was wrong all this time

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
i always fed my birds lettuce thinking its has a lot of nutrients i guess i was wrong all this time
Different types of lettuce have more nutrients so you're not totally wrong. Iceberg lettuce is one that has more crunch than nutrition :)

Miamax10

Mar 23, 2022
Parrots
Phoenix ELECTUS parrot
Hi i think it just with alexanderine parrot it also includes raw beans

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220328-181457_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220328-181457_Samsung Internet.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 77
OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I did some research and it appears that some foods (like lettuce) are unsafe for alexandrines because it can cause bloating.

Most Reactions