Parrot Dribbling

natty86

Aug 15, 2007
Brisbane & Toowoomba/ Australia
Parrots
Alexandrine Parrot- ****
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone can help. Yesterday i saw my Alexandrine dribbling. Today i saw him do it twice and his beak is hot.
Does anyone know what is happening.

Thanks Natty

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Hi and Welcome to PF,

Is it dribbling or has he just had a drink?

Is he panting in anyway?

Is everything else normal?

I have felt all of my fids beak and they have at times been hot (or I should say warm)

If it continues, or you are worried I would take him to your avian vet, or even phone them, just to put your mind at rest.

OP
natty86

natty86

Aug 15, 2007
Brisbane & Toowoomba/ Australia
Parrots
Alexandrine Parrot- ****
Thanks,

No he hasnt just had a drink- i was thinking that he may be trying to feed me, however i always jump to conclusions- just like any mother would. His behaviour is normal, no panting. Just that irritating grinding they do with their beak- i wish i could find a way to stop that!

Thanks again! I will try to post pics of him, he is adorable

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Oh yeah can't wait to see some pics, :D If ya can find a way to stop the beak grinding let me know will ya, My lot love doing it and they usually all do it when they are all in their cages in the evening :eek:

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Yeah it is but boy is it ever annoying, specially when they insist on doing it in your ear. :D

Keupi

Aug 16, 2007
Connecticut
Parrots
Keupi - a Senegal.
Yeah it is but boy is it ever annoying, specially when they insist on doing it in your ear. :D

Just this weekend, Keupi combined the beak grinding with the tongue-wiggling. Essentially, he grinded in your ear and when you looked at him, he wagged his tongue at you. My father and brother decided to teach him to 'sound' the razzberry.

At least they gave up trying to teach him to 'fart' when he stretches his wings!! (For now!!)

pheobus

Jun 14, 2007
Media
At least they gave up trying to teach him to 'fart' when he stretches his wings!!

:18::18::18::18::35::35: very clever!

By grinding you mean rubbing upper and down parts of their beaks?All my fids do that when they have eaten good and perch up or relax or take a nap.I also thought that they are happy when they do this...

Keupi

Aug 16, 2007
Connecticut
Parrots
Keupi - a Senegal.
:18::18::18::18::35::35: very clever!

By grinding you mean rubbing upper and down parts of their beaks?All my fids do that when they have eaten good and perch up or relax or take a nap.I also thought that they are happy when they do this...

They are happy when they do this... however some show their happiness on the loud side. It can be a bit like nails on the chalkboard.

Yes, my father and brother do like trying to teach Keupi new sounds. It's funny to watch - Mom's trying to teach him to whistle Twinkle Twinkle Little Star and Dad (and bro when he's around) are trying to teach him to 'fart' and 'the razberry.'

What's funnier is that Keupi instead picked up the kitchen timer and the telephone ring. Make humans run... fid entertainment!!

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Twinkle Twinkle Little Star

Bucc loves to sing that song, in his very gentle voice.

Winkle winkle little starrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
How you arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre :D
Little starrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Thats his favourite bits and thats what we hear all the time. Except when I'm singing (or wailing) it with him then he'll do it all. :D

Minzer84

Mar 14, 2007
Massachusetts
Parrots
Iggy- YCA
Iggy loves to sing "The ants go marching one by one HURRAH HURRAH...the ants go marching one by one HURRAH HURRAH..." It goes on and on and any time I sing ANYTHING ELSE, there always ends up being a couple of Hurrahs thrown in :rolleyes: :D

Christy

Mar 28, 2007
New Hampshire, USA
Parrots
Hamlet the Sun Conure and Mac the green cheek conure
Hamlet and Mac don't sing anything yet, although Tex is trying to get them to learn "Take me out to the Ball game" It sounds like Bucc and Iggy can be pretty funny.

How is the dribbling parrot? Do you think it was just showing love? Thats what it sounds like. Hope its working out!

Flyte

Jun 18, 2007
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw, Madison;
Yellow Naped Amazon, Rocky;
Timneh African Grey, Tyler
Yes, Hopefully your bird is doing better?

Tyler makes raspberries quite often. He does it to my mom whenever she says ANYTHING to him. He's really quite rude to her.
He's learning the words to that song 'on top of spaghetti all covered with cheese' I supplement the word 'meatball' with his name. (.. I lost my poor Tyler when somebody sneezed)
He sings the first and last words with me, all the Tyler parts, and some of the other words. It's pretty cute. It does NOT, however, make up for him laughing at my little niece this afternoon when she fell down and then telling her to shut-up when she cried.

Keupi

Aug 16, 2007
Connecticut
Parrots
Keupi - a Senegal.
Yes, Hopefully your bird is doing better?

Tyler makes raspberries quite often. He does it to my mom whenever she says ANYTHING to him. He's really quite rude to her.
He's learning the words to that song 'on top of spaghetti all covered with cheese' I supplement the word 'meatball' with his name. (.. I lost my poor Tyler when somebody sneezed)
He sings the first and last words with me, all the Tyler parts, and some of the other words. It's pretty cute. It does NOT, however, make up for him laughing at my little niece this afternoon when she fell down and then telling her to shut-up when she cried.

Cripes - this is stand-up gold.

Though I'm with you regarding the 'manners' of the shut-up when she cried, I also pay homage to you for not laughing hysterically.

Between the razzberries, the singing, and the 'tude with your niece, I'm sorry, but there's a picture in my head and it's really comical.

Flyte

Jun 18, 2007
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw, Madison;
Yellow Naped Amazon, Rocky;
Timneh African Grey, Tyler
It was extremely difficult not to laugh.. the ONLY good thing about frequent abdominal surgeries is that you learn to control your laughter.. lol. (ow!)

Most Reactions

Latest posts