Parrot nail clipping

May 17, 2020
If a parrot nail it cut and it hits the quick does this happen straight away or not. Like does the blood come out straight away.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Why not just have your Avian Medical Professional handle it! That way if an error occurs, they have the equipment and knowledge to provide proper medical care?

OP
S
May 17, 2020
I live in a village and there are no parrot vets here everyone clips it by themselves. Sorry for not being clear.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
So, what happens when a Parrot becomes ill!?!?

Clearing one want to clip prior to the quick. If the nail is very long, it requires tiny clips slowing working the trim point back.

First timers commonly cut far too much!

OP
S
May 17, 2020
Most people use herbal medicines or if they know what's wrong they may get antibiotics. Lots of smaller birds do get I'll and die. I try my best to prevent cross contamination and keep thier environment clean to make sure they dont get I'll. There are not any real vets and they only treat animals like cats and dogs and farm animals.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Some larger Animal Vets (Farm Vets) have some knowledge of Farm birds and can provide more help that and cat /dog vet.

Check out this Thread: Penny is sick, I've been holding back making a thread
See: Active Topics

Last edited:

WhiteFlight

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Aug 20, 2020
Dallas, Texas
Parrots
Meisha: Umbrella Cockatoo | Female | 03/09/1989 Hatch Date
Sunny, it's been a while since I've experienced it, but I'm recalling the leak is noticeable rather quickly. Side note, a friend long ago trimmed his parakeet's nails too much and it bled out, died. But not before bitting him one last time.

You might try a performing a search for instructions on how execute the task. I use a fingernail file and Dremel tool. I am at an advantage as Meisha is receptive:

Meisha-AT-T-Manicure.gif

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
From my experience, it is pretty abrupt (like, sudden bleeding, usually right after the cut) but I do not know if that is always the case...If you dremel, be very careful with their tongues and make sure you block their nares from the dust.

I do not do my own, as dremels can be very risky if done improperly and filing is also stressful for them. I take Noodles to the vet when she needs either done.

Ira7

Banned
Banned
Feb 9, 2020
Coral Springs, FL
Parrots
YNA
A regular vetā€™s aid...under the vetā€™s oversight...cut off two twos on one of my lovebirds about 20 years ago. And Iā€™m talking the whole toes. The bird flinched at the last minute, the aid didnā€™t have a good grip...so bye bye toes.

The vet told me to rush to a CAV he knew of (this was before I knew of any CAVs in the area), and the CAV saved the bird before it bled out.

WhiteFlight

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Aug 20, 2020
Dallas, Texas
Parrots
Meisha: Umbrella Cockatoo | Female | 03/09/1989 Hatch Date
Sunny,

Noodles made a good point, know you limits and your ability to control the safety.

I've been around birds most of my life. I never considered having a veterinarian trim nails. Since Meisha goes to work with me, she is physically on me ā€“ a lot. For me the wait is impractical. We perform it as needed. In Meisha's first visit, the vet retracted his offering out of concern for negative impact it could have on the positive established process. It is likely less stressful on her with us performing the task than a stranger.

You reflected that a veterinarian isn't a viable option in your situation. With clipping it's a hit or miss. I recommend exploring the fingernail file option. With Meisha she approached us up front wanting a manicure, holding her talon out.

You might consider sitting with your bird and file your own nails. Fake it if you needed to draw out your illustration of the procedure. Gauge your birds response for any observation. Start with simple movement across the birds nail without clasping it, to start the familiarity. Talk to the bird in a pleasant tone. If it is possible, start with a long toe, clasping the toe with your index finger and thumb where the nail starts. Gently file to round off. Release as when the bird pulls back. Continue talking the the bird calmly. Tap the toe and look into the eyes to resume. The build on it. Consider returning to filing your own nails for a break in the process.

Most Reactions

Latest posts