Parrot non-profit org: what do you think?

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
I want to do something more than talk and write.

Here is what got me started: lots of posts recently about "what kind of parrot should I get" and "where can I get fertilized parrot eggs" etc. I conjecture people are going to google with these questions, and then hitting the resulting pages with questions until they get the answer they want. This might mean finding a scam site that claims to sell parrot eggs, or finding a helpful forum that gives real advice. Parrotforums is one of those helpful places. I thought, wouldn't it be nice if I could get some ad space, so when people Google those links they are sent to one of the Parrotforums pages? Then we would at least have a chance to get out in front of the pack with real information. I checked, and Google does have a non-profit Adwords category where non-profits can request grants to pay for such ads.

I know there are lots of non-profits out there already, and I've looked at a couple, but didn't find one that quite matched what I looked for. My husband and I do donate to a local rescue, but I would like to do something more. In particular:

1. Provide good info to people researching what kinds of parrots to acquire, to prevent birds being re-homed or mistreated. This could be anything from helpful info, costs, recommendations, general responsibilities - perhaps a landing page with static information, sticky links, and a search box.

2. Provide good info to people researching parrot health and behavior issues. Same as above, a triage approach - basic health information, how to tell if a parrot is sick, where to find an avian vet, what kind of things can be tried first if safe, emergency first aid, etc.

3. Educate people about ethical purchase options for young birds. Talk about what it means to be an ethical breeder, and how to find such a breeder. Talk about why it matters. Talk about purchasing a bird from a pet store - what kind of questions to ask, with an emphasis on insisting birds come from responsible breeders. Talk about weaning, hand raising....

4. Educate people about parrot rescues. Why do they exist? What do they do? Why do they charge a fee? How to tell a genuine rescue from a hoarder or scammer-flipper? Why are birds in rescues? What can you expect from a rescue bird? Why should you adopt instead of buy?

5. Educate people about the suffering of companion parrots. The horror stories of mistreatment, abuse, neglect. The pain caused by ordinary human life changes that affect parrots - children, moving, homelessness, loss of job, parrot behavior problems.

6. Raise funds for parrot rescues, support of the forum, outreach, education, rehabilitation, etc.

I envision a place where people who already have parrots can get the information and support they need to provide a good life for their birds, where people who are suitable potential parrot owners can get guidance to ensure a happy outcome for all, where people who aren't suitable for parrot ownership can be gently dissuaded and redirected (perhaps to help in other ways) and where people who shop at pet stores or are casually interested in parrots can find an easy way to help.

This is all pretty much what Parrotforums does already as far as the information part. The non-profit would be separate from Parrotforums. Such an organization is really just a way to arrange for advertising and education, and to give people a way to help. Kind of like an ASPCA except focused on parrot animals. I'm not thinking of making a big deal here. I've looked up the requirements to set such an org up in Indiana, where I live, and it involves choosing a name, registering the company as a business, recruiting three or so people to serve as a board, coming up with a mission statement and bylaws, along with some tax and reporting stuff. People from the forums could do these roles, and that would be good because it allows you guys to manage the message. I've looked a lots of parrot forums, and this one really does seem different. There's a sense of camaraderie and support and kindness combined with actual parrot knowledge, which is not as common as you might think.

I've wanted to do something to contribute to parrot welfare since Oliver died last year. If anyone here knows of a suitable non-profit already in existence that I could support instead - what is it? If it's a good idea to for a new one, who wants in? I'm good at tedious paperwork and figuring out regulations. All financial and accounting stuff will be fully transparent. There's plenty of ways to be involved. I'm really thinking simple, small, localized, and personal. Not a big national project with television ads. For now, I just want to get some Adwords placement to direct the searchers to Parrotforums, and maybe recruit some mods or supporters to put together a FAQ and list of top sticky threads.

What say ye, parrot people?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Well Ms. K, I'm am happy to be part of what you are considering.

My 'Not For Profit' background is with an American Legion, local Post and a local Exotic Bird Group. I was activity involved in updating both organizations SOP, which is very important in obtaining and maintaining their 'Not For Profit' 501 status with the IRS and also it is the foundation for getting and keeping your State Business Status. Both are the foundation from the paperwork side to bring those part of this project into reality. Regarding the Accounting side, I strongly recommend a Software like Quicken because of the easy of making it transparent and also easy to use even for non-accounting types.

The Internet is clearly the 'center piece' for this type of 'organization' to survive. It has become the center of Product Sales in the Exotic Parrot Market, Information central for everything Parrot and the source to finding Books, both electric and print.

Internet Spiders are now the drivers (diggers) of information sourcing on the Internet! Finding good sources on the internet today has more to do with the 'quality' of the 'Title' of the information than the quality of the information provided with that Title. Staying as part of the first few hits has everything to do with how common that Link is opened, which goes to the quality of the information. Having both is a must to assure the long term success!!!

FYI: I would strongly recommend that a very open and honest discussion with the Super Moderators begin very soon to determine to what level the Parrot Forums can /want to be involved with and/or what parts they may and may not want to be included. My recent research has found the presents of the Parrot Forum to be much greater than other Forums on the Internet. That, in my opinion has much to do with 'as you so well stated' the quality and interactions of the members of the Parrot Forums. It also implies that the 'Internet Spiders' are finding a great volume of quality information on the Parrot Forums.

Last edited:

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Well if you decide to go forward with this please count me in. I'm all in favor of correct info being as accessible as possible.

Are you envisioning someone writing all new articles or simply providing links to existing info? If you will just be providing links I already have several on my website that can be used if you want and I can fast track certain other topics.

I don't know how realistic your idea is, but if you are willing to put in the time to make it happen, I would love to help out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Kentuckienne

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Parrots
I assume any organization would be completely separate from Parrotforums. I happen to like the atmosphere of this board better than any other I've found, so I hope some of the more experienced members would participate by writing articles or link able threads. And I wrote a lot, but the scope is really simple: to improve the lives of parrots from birth to death. This includes the breeders, the babies, the parronts, and the rescue. In the beginning it would just be education and outreach...get some ads in search engines, prepare shareable materials, get a Facebook page, post on other org's pages and websites, in general simply raise awareness of the ramifications of parrot ownership. I don't want to recruit people to own parrots or encourage someone to start, just try to steer people in a good direction if they are already determined. Kind of like Planned Parrothood.

Wait, that one's taken. And on that website are gems like this advice to those contemplating getting a parrot. First, they say buy a young bird, don't take an older one. And this: "one advantage of the upkeep of a bird is that it may never need veterinary care*. Buying a healthy bird from a trusted breeder or pet shop who will give you a health warranty should assure you of sharing many years together without the expense of veterinary health maintenance since birds don't need vaccinations or routine checkups." Riiiight...

Last edited:

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
ARE YOU SERIOUS????????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BeatriceC

Feb 9, 2016
San Diego, CA
Parrots
Goofy (YNA), Oscar (Goffin 'too). Foster bird Betty (RLA). RIP Cookie, 1991-2016 ('tiel), Leo (Sengal), Charlotte (scarlet macaw). Grand-birds: Liam (budgie), Donovan (lovebird), RIP Angelo (budgie)
WHAT?!?!?!?!? That's insane. No vet care. Harrumph. I can't say what I think about those people in polite company.

On the topic of starting an outreach: I wish I could help. While I'm a housewife, I spend more than full time hours running an online peer support group for a certain mental health issue. It's literally the first thing I check when I wake up in the morning and the last thing I do at night, and I'm on my computer pretty close to all day every day keeping tabs on it. I simply don't have the time to devote to any other projects.

OP
Kentuckienne

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Parrots
You see why a counterbalance is needed. And BeatriceC, just by posting here as you do you make a huge difference in the world. I'm not expecting a miracle, just want to move the deplorable part of the spectrum a little bit more toward the light.

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
I think, if you can have the patience to see it through, your idea could (sorry for the pun) really fly.

Common sense, everyday, advice that doesn't pull any punches is refreshing. I love the idea...this is coming from a place where there is no help whatsoever. Parrotforums has been a great help, anything you put together would be a great addition.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Your idea is highly commendable, Karen. I can envision you creating a wonderful educational and welfare venue to focus benefit on the creatures we so love.

When you have the skeleton of an organization in mind, I would be happy to interface with the ParrotForums administrator to determine what if any links would be permissible.

Most Reactions

Latest posts