Parrot Offering Head Seemingly for Pet Before Lunging/Biting

pterry97

Aug 26, 2020
UK
Hi all,

Despite what the title reads, this hasn't happened to me. Bobby, the parrot I've received two nights ago though has an extensively aggressive history of attacking people. One of the common behaviours he would do would involve lowering his head towards the bars, seemingly in the impression of wanting his head scratched. But if anyone got close enough he would quickly turn around and bite their fingers. His previous owner said it often felt like he was luring them into the attack.

I have yet to even attempt to pet him since receiving him, though I have been hand feeding him some fruit and treats and he is surprisingly delicate about picking seeds out from between my fingers. He's very clearly aware of his bite control through what I have seen. Tonight, he approached me at the bars of the cage, and when I offered a treat, he instead bowed his head, seeming to do the offer for a head scratch. I of course ignored the behaviour, not willing to test it out just yet. After a pause he decided to take the offered treat instead.

So, to those who have had similar experiences, how do we read the invitation towards scratching a parrot's head? I don't want to rush into things and bring out his known previous behaviour, although he is already acting much different than his old owner has described of him so far. I would ultimately like to be able to give gentle wanted head scratches in the future, but how does one tell apart a genuine desire from their parrot vs the 'luring'-like behaviour he has shown in the past? What sort of precursor in this behaviour could warn me of a potential bite threat if I were to attempt in the future?

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
This is a tough one, my Quaker will do something similar.
If I ask if he wants a pet (Great thing to teach btw) and he says 'yes' I pet him and I'd say 85% of the time it ends well. His yes will be him fluffing up his head, bowing his head or reaching up his foot and scratching his head.
Him saying 'no' is shaking his head or walking away.
Then there's the times he acts as if he wants to be pet randomly and those are the times he's bluffing and luring me to try and bite.
I guess you're gonna have to learn what is luring and what is genuine.
I know it can be hard to establish asking actual questions with some birds but It's not very different from trick training, it will take a while and it may not work for your bird, I use the same method with stepping up.
You should check out Pamela Clarks blog, she has tons of fantastic information on permission based training and many other topics.

Hope this helps šŸ˜Š

OP
P

pterry97

Aug 26, 2020
UK
This is a tough one, my Quaker will do something similar.
If I ask if he wants a pet (Great thing to teach btw) and he says 'yes' I pet him and I'd say 85% of the time it ends well. His yes will be him fluffing up his head, bowing his head or reaching up his foot and scratching his head.
Him saying 'no' is shaking his head or walking away.
Then there's the times he acts as if he wants to be pet randomly and those are the times he's bluffing and luring me to try and bite.
I guess you're gonna have to learn what is luring and what is genuine.
I know it can be hard to establish asking actual questions with some birds but It's not very different from trick training, it will take a while and it may not work for your bird, I use the same method with stepping up.
You should check out Pamela Clarks blog, she has tons of fantastic information on permission based training and many other topics.

Hope this helps šŸ˜Š
I actually am a member in the Evidence Based Parrot Training Resources from Barbara Heidenreich facebook group and Pamela is a (somewhat) active member on there haha, her work is referenced a lot.

Unfortunately I can retract my original statement of not having gotten bitten, as he bit me this morning... Wasn't during a pet lure however, I offered him a treat and he grabbed my finger instead. Was a gentle bite with no damage but I consider it a warning nonetheless haha.

I'm still figuring out his moods - I'm realising now that he began the day rather heightened and agitated and it was the wrong time to attempt to do some small training with. Fortunately after a couple of hours he calmed down and we shared some blueberries together. Still learning him as the day goes on.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
Someone I know with a grey was talking recently about how their body language is so subtle but super consistent. She used the example of her grey bending his head down for scratches, and if his eyes were looking down at his feet, scratches scratches, but if his eyes were looking down at your feet, bitey bitey. If you didn't recognize that small difference in face posture/feathers/eye position, you'd get bitten at seemingly random times.

OP
P

pterry97

Aug 26, 2020
UK
Someone I know with a grey was talking recently about how their body language is so subtle but super consistent. She used the example of her grey bending his head down for scratches, and if his eyes were looking down at his feet, scratches scratches, but if his eyes were looking down at your feet, bitey bitey. If you didn't recognize that small difference in face posture/feathers/eye position, you'd get bitten at seemingly random times.
Iā€™ve been trying to read his behaviour but itā€™s still early days. Definitely canā€™t tell where heā€™s looking - he looks more out towards the sides than down at something, and the angle his head is held you donā€™t get a good idea where heā€™s focusing on. Still a bit too nervous to scratch his head, he tried the bowing thing again earlier today

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Yep still early days. With parrots, body language is all, so you will need to closely study his. Greys are very subtle unlike, say Amazons , who scream body language tip offs. PLus this grey obviously has had a rough time of it. I hope you stick it out with him.

PrimorandMoxi

May 29, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Max (23yo) Blue and Gold Macaw,
&
PRIMOR (8yo) Red Lored Amazon,
&
ABBA (33yo) Red Lored Amazon - RIP
My macaw is a trickster. Everything in his body language says scritch me, He'll lower his head, look at you, and even use his talon to seductively scratch his head slowly as if saying " ...I want you to, you know you want to ..."
Then he will nail you with a bite.
His body language is impossible to read.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
My CAG Bella is famous for her head scratching lure. In the cage she will bite me every time.
My Wife is the chosen one and only she is allowed to give scratches.
Out of the cage she uses the head scratching lure when she doesnā€™t want to be picked up.
She lowers her head in a blocking maneuver Much like wanting a scratch.

Basicly I donā€™t try to give scratches anymore.

ScottinSoCal

Sep 7, 2019
Ventura County, CA, USA
Parrots
Had a Blue Front Amazon. Now have an African Grey (CAG)
he bit me this morning... Wasn't during a pet lure however, I offered him a treat and he grabbed my finger instead. Was a gentle bite with no damage but I consider it a warning nonetheless haha.

Biting is tough, for a bird that's developed the habit, but yours may be just beaking you. A parrot's beak is sensitive, and they use it almost like a hand, to explore.

Scooter beaks my hand all the time - tasting it, exploring my fingers. She loves my fingernails. She also likes to have her beak rubbed. When we're sitting out in the sun, she'll put her beak between my fingers, so I can rub it and stroke it. When she's beaking my hand she isn't biting, she's showing me she trusts me, and I trust her.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I am guessing if your bird contacted your hand with her beak but didnā€™t hurt you, it wasnā€™t meant to hurt or to be a bite. My Quaker grabs my finger often, particularly when Iā€™m neglecting to pet him.

OP
P

pterry97

Aug 26, 2020
UK
Biting is tough, for a bird that's developed the habit, but yours may be just beaking you. A parrot's beak is sensitive, and they use it almost like a hand, to explore.

Scooter beaks my hand all the time - tasting it, exploring my fingers. She loves my fingernails. She also likes to have her beak rubbed. When we're sitting out in the sun, she'll put her beak between my fingers, so I can rub it and stroke it. When she's beaking my hand she isn't biting, she's showing me she trusts me, and I trust her.
He officially started beaking me about 3 days ago actually! I decided to attempt to pet his beak and he began rubbing against my fingers, turning around to nibble. It was much more tender than previous - before they were firm enough to leave a mark but no skin break. There's been a definite shift in behaviour since this post haha. He's calming down a lot I think, getting into his own routine. Though he still has his moments of course

Most Reactions

Latest posts