Parrot problem with legs

VParrot

Mar 13, 2017
An indian ringneck parrot lives around my house he is very friendly and comes upon calling it had a problem with his legs since it came now today the problem seems to be increased as it can't walk and uses his beak to move around on the floor. It's legs don't seem to work or is something Else the matter with it? Please any suggestions?

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Please rush him to a qualified avian vet immediately!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
V

VParrot

Mar 13, 2017
I've called the helpline for animals but the parrot isn't a pet and is gone for now the people at the organisation told me to call them when he comes back. It doesn't let anyone touch him otherwise I would have taken him myself.

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
Some people use poison to kill rodents, and then raptors and other birds eat the dead rodents and are poisoned in turn. Birds can also eat poison bait put out for slugs and other pests. Large raptors are killed by lead poisoning from eating animals killed by hunters using lead shot. If the parrot is poisoned you might not see it again, but if you can catch it you might be able to keep it in a "hospital cage" and help it recover if the animal society won't take it. Chances are, if it was sick, a predator already got it...hopefully that bird didn't become sick.

A bald eagle died on our neighbor's place this spring, and it seemed to have been shot or poisoned, but we weren't able to catch the sick bird or locate the body.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Just to add to Kentuckienne's post about poisons to wildlife.

It has become known that folk are putting anti-freeze in ornamental water features to keep them ice free. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, do not do this it is highly toxic to wildlife. Who will be happy when you go outside and all you can hear is traffic? No bird song?

I am sorry to hear about this poor parrot, hard although it is that the cycle of life in the wild. Just hope it isn't or does not suffer.

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Parrots
Just to add to Kentuckienne's post about poisons to wildlife.

It has become known that folk are putting anti-freeze in ornamental water features to keep them ice free. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, do not do this it is highly toxic to wildlife. Who will be happy when you go outside and all you can hear is traffic? No bird song?

I am sorry to hear about this poor parrot, hard although it is that the cycle of life in the wild. Just hope it isn't or does not suffer.

Wwhat? Seriously? Antifreeze? Please, make it stop!

OP
V

VParrot

Mar 13, 2017
The parrot is here just for a week I fed him some walnuts and stuff so it started coming everyday. The whole neighbourhood feeds him so he stays here only. But yesterday it didn't come and also today it came in the morning but didn't come after a called the animal society. And about that problem I don't think it was poisoned as it had a little problem with one of his legs a week ago too but today he was using his beak to move his body around. Also it isn't legal to cage most of the birds in my country including this one.

Attachments

• IMG_20170308_163122_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170308_163122_HDR.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 228
OP
V

VParrot

Mar 13, 2017
Anything I can give him to releave his pain maybe? Although I'm not sure if he's in pain at all.

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Aw, sorry to see this of a wild bird. There probably isn't much you can do for this bird, without physically taking it to a qualified Avian Vet for care. It may be past the point of helping it, if it is using its beak to move its body. it could've had an injury when it was younger that it never fully recovered from, which, being a wild bird, is the most likely scenario. If it were me I would continue to feed it. You could possibly catch it in a net and then call animal control, but they may just euthanize it...

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
The bird is either injured or extremely ill. If there is nothing you can legally do to get him to a vet there are actually things you can feed him which may help him recover. Probably isn't enough, but may help.

Blueberries are a natural pain reliever for birds.

Cinnamon, cayenne, and ginger in/on the food can help combat Any bacterial and yeast infections.

Cranberries can help flood the kidneys of toxins.

Corn, banana, and other starchy and sugary fruits and veggies (not processed foods!) can help provide energy needed for healing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Many times folks accidentally poison wild animals, and it slowly builds up, along with the symptoms! My dad was very big into feeding wild birds all winter long, so much so, he bought seed in 100 lb bags! One morning he found a dead bird in the yard, couple days later he found 2 more. He blamed it on a new stray cat they started taking care of! Couple days later, he walked out into a nightmare of dead, dying, crippled birds all over the yard! Cause? He, without thinking was storing the seed in an empty chlorine barrel! As the levels built up, it became deadly for the poor birds! This took a couple months to build up to this level! Further down into the barrel, higher the concentration! To say the least, he was devastated!

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Many times folks accidentally poison wild animals, and it slowly builds up, along with the symptoms! My dad was very big into feeding wild birds all winter long, so much so, he bought seed in 100 lb bags! One morning he found a dead bird in the yard, couple days later he found 2 more. He blamed it on a new stray cat they started taking care of! Couple days later, he walked out into a nightmare of dead, dying, crippled birds all over the yard! Cause? He, without thinking was storing the seed in an empty chlorine barrel! As the levels built up, it became deadly for the poor birds! This took a couple months to build up to this level! Further down into the barrel, higher the concentration! To say the least, he was devastated!

OMG David! Your poor Dad! I could almost feel his heart break knowing later,that it was his actions that caused these poor things to die,and he had no idea it was his fault. The poor guy..and birds! :02:

Jim

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Parrots
OMG David! Your poor Dad! I could almost feel his heart break knowing later,that it was his actions that caused these poor things to die,and he had no idea it was his fault. The poor guy..and birds! :02:
Jim
It really was! Like something straight out of a Hitchcock film! Literally dozens of dead and dying birds.
My dad also got put into the hospital over the same Chlorine barrels! Day after day of bending into the barrel to scoop the granules attacked his lungs and he was coughing blood!

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Jim
It really was! Like something straight out of a Hitchcock film! Literally dozens of dead and dying birds.
My dad also got put into the hospital over the same Chlorine barrels! Day after day of bending into the barrel to scoop the granules attacked his lungs and he was coughing blood!

OMG that is awful.

OP
V

VParrot

Mar 13, 2017
Here's one more photo. For some more insight.

Attachments

• IMG_20170316_152444_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170316_152444_HDR.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 160

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Parrots

When did this happen? Back in 2012, Scott (maker of Miracle-Gro) was found guilty of, and fined for putting insecticide in bird seed that was toxic to birds. They use at least on banned substance and falsified records. The poison was meant to keep bugs from eating the seed during storage, but it killed birds as well.
https://www.scientificamerican.com/podcast/episode/bird-seed-poisons-wild-birds-12-09-16/

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Parrots
……………As the levels built up, it became deadly for the poor birds!

When did this happen? Back in 2012, Scott (maker of Miracle-Gro) was found guilty of, and fined for putting insecticide in bird seed that was toxic to birds. They use at least on banned substance and falsified records. The poison was meant to keep bugs from eating the seed during storage, but it killed birds as well.
https://www.scientificamerican.com/podcast/episode/bird-seed-poisons-wild-birds-12-09-16/

This was many years back, 40ish!

Most Reactions

Latest posts