Parrot Questions

Revenge

May 5, 2022
Parrots
Hooded parrot
Hey. i just wanted to ask about some stuff my parrot does and if its normal/how to fix. So my bird loves his cage when i put my hand in it he runs around then comes to it, sometimes he might mouth my finger repeatedly and then steps up but most of the time he just jumps on it, i was wondering if i should just leave him alone when he mouths at me (like is it a warning) my parrot hates it when i stick my finger through the bars he attacks it (doesnt bite like mouths it sorta thing) after 2 seconds of attacking it he leaves it alone intill i move it a little. (he doesnt do this if i open the cage door and put my hand in) i was just wondering why he does this. at night my bird loves to sleep on my shoulder and always argues when i put him in the cage. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoode...rrot breeds readily,in Australia in the 1980s.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
What kind of parrot do you have? Some species of parrot are very protective of their cage. Others are not as much.

If your parrot doesnโ€™t like you sticking your fingers through his cage bars, I think you should stop. It is his personal space, the only privacy he has, and you are teasing him. One of my parrots likes to be scratched through the cage bars. The other one hates me touching his cage and would bite me if I did that even though he loves me. We are getting along a lot better since Iโ€™ve started to ask him to come out of his cage and wait for him to step onto the door. He didnโ€™t like me reaching into his private home.

Iโ€™m glad your bird likes to be on your shoulder. If he is a smaller parrot, and he behaves well, thatโ€™s probably ok. But I would need to know some more about your bird before I can answer much about him.

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month ๐Ÿ†
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
What kind of parrot do you have? Some species of parrot are very protective of their cage. Others are not as much.
OP gave the link to Wikipedia about hooded parrots and wrote in their "parrots" profile section "Hooded parrot" - so likely it is the OP's species

From Wikipedia: "The hooded parrot breeds readily in captivity but it can be aggressive" so maybe it is one of more "cage protective" species

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I saw the Wikipedia article but I didnโ€™t see the profile.

I couldnโ€™t really assume anything from the linked Wikipedia article. They could have included it for other reasons. And I have never heard of a hooded parrot in captivity. Either way, we donโ€™t know much about the bird, and sticking your fingers into a birdโ€™s cage when the bird doesnโ€™t like it is mean.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
I saw the Wikipedia article but I didnโ€™t see the profile.

I couldnโ€™t really assume anything from the linked Wikipedia article. They could have included it for other reasons. And I have never heard of a hooded parrot in captivity. Either way, we donโ€™t know much about the bird, and sticking your fingers into a birdโ€™s cage when the bird doesnโ€™t like it is mean.
I agree. Sticking your fingers in your parrot's cage when you KNOW they don't like it is cruel. The cage is their home, and they deserve privacy and respect. Can we see a picture of the cage, please?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month ๐Ÿ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I know my amazon has 2 ways to mouth my finger. One is in play and it is a very light hold never approaching bite strength. The other way he holds my finger and literally pushes it away from him; if I ignore that the next thing is a leave me alone nip.

Most Reactions