Parrot-safe air purifier

Tiel

Jan 7, 2021
Parrots
Haku (male normal grey cockatiel)
Hendrix (female yellow-faced lutino cockatiel)
Hello guys!

It's getting cold in Germany these days and I honestly don't want to open the window as much anymore, especially now that I'm dealing with a potentially infected bird. I've now decided that it's really worth to invest in an air purifier, but I'm a student on a budget and I was wondering wether this specific air purifier is bird safe. It's ozone free but I don't know if there's anything else to consider:

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07BY3H53B/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_R05-Fb0J94W52

(Also I'm sorry for posting so many threads about everything, I'm new and there are so many questions to ask)

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
For a decent purifier, you want the square footage to be larger than the room you intend to use it in--this is important (they always seem to cover a larger area than they do, as a result of air flow etc). Also, check to see if it says anything about ionizing or "sanitizing"---- If the ozone, ion or "santitize" can be turned off, you should be okay. I haven't looked at your link, but I would spend a couple hundred minimum for a decent one, or you will end up spending more in filters long-term. Make sure it is a true hepa filter, and preferably one that filters out the smallest microns, like VOCs and smoke. Mind you, this does not mean you can use non-safe products in the home (which I'm sure you already knew).

I started off for a few years with one that was good in terms of reviews, but expensive in terms of filters and not nearly as effective when it comes to small particles (plus, it was for a very small space and even though my space was small, it was inadequate). If I could go back, I'd get a better one up-front and just get on a payment plan.

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
If you can get an Alenair (https://alen.com/) or rabbit https://www.rabbitair.com/, those are very good. I also have 2 hathaspace, but I'm not the biggest fan of them...not bad, just not nearly as good as the others. Always run a new product outdoors for a few hours if possible-- this could be in a shed, under a porch or on a balcony-- you want to let the factory fumes off-gas. I never thought I would be able to afford a decent purifier, but within 1 minute, I was approved for a $48 plan which I just paid off. I am not a student, but I too am on a budget.

I looked at what you posted and I couldn't get much info on it-- it also has no reviews that I can see.

Hint-- you cannot often get on a payment plan through Amazon, so even though it may save you some money short-term, if you are on a budget, try shopping on the company site if you are trying to get something more expensive. I use Amazon constantly, and that was something I also learned.

Last edited:
OP
Tiel

Tiel

Jan 7, 2021
Parrots
If you can get an Alenair (https://alen.com/) or rabbit https://www.rabbitair.com/, those are very good. I also have 2 hathaspace, but I'm not the biggest fan of them...not bad, just not nearly as good as the others. Always run a new product outdoors for a few hours if possible-- this could be in a shed, under a porch or on a balcony-- you want to let the factory fumes off-gas. I never thought I would be able to afford a decent purifier, but within 1 minute, I was approved for a $48 plan which I just paid off. I am not a student, but I too am on a budget.

I looked at what you posted and I couldn't get much info on it-- it also has no reviews that I can see.

Hey thank you so much for providing me with all this insight!! I don't know why you can't access the link, might be because it's German Amazon? I'm going to copy paste and attach a picture with a screenshot of details.

Partu Air Purifier with High Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) Filter 3-Stage Filtration with 99.97% Filtration Performance, Perfect for Allergy Sufferers, Smokers and also for House Dust Mite Allergy, 100% Ozone-free

Last edited:
OP
Tiel

Tiel

Jan 7, 2021
Parrots
I was approved for a $48 plan which I just paid off. I am not a student, but I too am on a budget.

Wait you can buy from these companies with an installment plan? :eek: that's awesome!

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
What is the square footage recommendation?

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
I was approved for a $48 plan which I just paid off. I am not a student said:
Wait you can buy from these companies with an installment plan? :eek: that's awesome!

yeah- at least, I was able to. I bought from Alen---I think Rabbit also offers one, but don't quote me on that. On Alen, I was asked a few questions and approval was practically instant-- I swear I don't work for them either lol!!! The total purchase I made would have been around $600-700, and I COULD NOT do that, but with the payment plan, it was simple for me.

OP
Tiel

Tiel

Jan 7, 2021
Parrots
I was approved for a $48 plan which I just paid off. I am not a student said:

yeah- at least, I was able to. I bought from Alen---I think Rabbit also offers one, but don't quote me on that. On Alen, I was asked a few questions and approval was practically instant-- I swear I don't work for them either lol!!! The total purchase I made would have been around $600-700, and I COULD NOT do that, but with the payment plan, it was simple for me.

Wow the more you know. Definitely going to look into this now. An air purifier is usually something you buy once so I might as well invest in a good one on the long run. Currently I have so many things on my wishlist that I wasn't aware was that important. Like a UV light and soooooo many toys, now that my baby Haku is sick the vet bills have also been piling up. It's honestly very exhausting, it probably would've been easier without Corona. But anyway thank you for your insider info on air purifiers!!!

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Rabbit is probably the most popular for birds, but when I couldn't afford that a few years back, I went with Alen (after lots of research).

Be careful with a UV light, as those can also produce ozone (but I get the wish-list lol! me too!)

I also get the vet bills- I totally do. I am very happy with my purifier though, and honestly, it could be a placebo or coincidence, but my parrot has been sick much less in the past year or 2 since I got an upgrade to the purifier. I am not saying you won't still have vet bills etc (YOU WILL :( ) BUT, mine has gotten a lot fewer upper respiratory issues even though I was super careful before getting the new purifier.

Last edited:
OP
Tiel

Tiel

Jan 7, 2021
Parrots
Rabbit is probably the most popular for birds, but when I couldn't afford that a few years back, I went with Alen (after lots of research).

Be careful with a UV light, as those can also produce ozone (but I get the wish-list lol! me too!)

I also get the vet bills- I totally do. I am very happy with my purifier though, and honestly, it could be a placebo or coincidence, but my parrot has been sick much less in the past year or 2 since I got an upgrade to the purifier. I am not saying you won't still have vet bills etc (YOU WILL :( ) BUT, mine has gotten a lot fewer upper respiratory issues even though I was super careful before getting the new purifier.

Jesus, why is everything out there dangerous to our best friends :confused: I was looking at UV lights advertised to birds but now I'm going to be even more careful.

What you said could be totally true, part of the reason why I feel like buying all this stuff right now is because I want to act preventative. I hate to see my baby sick, it scares me a lot :(

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots

Jesus, why is everything out there dangerous to our best friends :confused: I was looking at UV lights advertised to birds but now I'm going to be even more careful.

What you said could be totally true, part of the reason why I feel like buying all this stuff right now is because I want to act preventative. I hate to see my baby sick, it scares me a lot :(

I wanted a UV light too and decided against it because of what I read about ozone, but do your own too, just in case I'm wrong.

I know the feeling though!!!

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
It looks like this unit does have an ionizer and I can’t seem to find if that function can be turned off or not? If it can, this seems like a decent air purifier. Can you get a Honeywell air purifier where you live? That’s what I’ve used for years and they’re reasonably priced.

Most Reactions