Parrot-Safe Products

Mel

Mar 30, 2010
Media
Sydney Australia
Parrots
Eclectus - Shadow /
Sulfur Crested - Chicka
With all the recent discussions on PTFE/Teflon I thought it would be great to have a list of manufacturers and products that are safe to use around our Parrots. I'm waiting to hear back from a few companies reguarding hair dryers and will post them as soon as I hear back but if anyone has anything they can add to the list (not just teflon-free products) please feel free

OP
Mel

Mel

Mar 30, 2010
Media
Sydney Australia
Parrots
Eclectus - Shadow /
Sulfur Crested - Chicka
I recieved an email from Conair this morning, all of thier hairdryers are teflon free.

OP
Mel

Mel

Mar 30, 2010
Media
Sydney Australia
Parrots
Eclectus - Shadow /
Sulfur Crested - Chicka
THANK YOU PARROTQUEEN FOR THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION:

I pulled up some links to help some newbies out there who are looking into parrot owning, and those who already own a parrot and want to ensure the best and safest life for their bird.

The list of safe woods, to be used for perches or toys: Wood / Trees / Bushes Considered Safe for Birds

The list of safe spices: Aloe, Alfalfa, Ginger, Garlic (in moderation), Dandelion, Chamomile, and Cayenne.

The list of safe fruits:

Apples (cored), Papaya (birds love Papaya Seeds), Mango (pitted), Oranges (seeded), Cantaloupe (Cantaloupe seeds are thoroughly enjoyed by our flock), Melon, Star Fruit, Pineapple, Pomegranate, Berries (Strawberries, Raspberries, Blackberries, Blueberries, Gooseberries), Pears (cored), Peaches (pitted), Plums (pitted), Kiwi (peeled), Banana (peeled), Cherries (pitted), Cranberries, Grapefruit (seeded), Tangerines (seeded), Cactus Pear (peeled), Banana (peeled), Apricots (pitted).

List of safe vegetables:

Red Beets (peeled)- can be offered raw or steamed, Radishes, Turnips, Carrots, Cooked Sweet Potatoes, Radicchio, Endive, Mustard Greens, Beet & Turnip Greens, Dandelion Greens, Swiss Chard, Kale, Parsley, Basil, Cooked Red Potatoes, Peeled Squash (Acorn, Spaghetti, Butternut, Summer, Pumpkin, etc.) Can be offered raw or steamed. Note: the seeds are a big hit with parrots!), Green Beans, Tomato, Sweet Red & Green Peppers, Hot Peppers, Cauliflower, Broccoli, Broccoli Rabe, Turnip Greens, Snow Peas, Tofu, Fennel, Kohlrabi, Sugar Snap Peas, Artichokes - can be stuffed with pine nuts as a foraging toy, Corn (can be either cut in chunks or cut off the cob.

Fruit and vegetable lists were copied from www.greyfeathertoys.com/. www.birdsnways.com supplied the list of spices.

triordan

Sep 1, 2010
Maryland
Parrots
Remington~ GW Macaw
Ollie/Olivia~ CAG
mel~ did you ever hear back from any other hair dryer companies?

Abzeez

Apr 26, 2011
WI
Parrots
Bean the Blue Front Amazon, Chico the Ringneck, and Ida the African grey
I heard tomato is not good for parrots. To much acid.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
As they say everything in moderation : I’d rather not risk it when there are better foods out there.
Very interesting link below, worth reading into.

http://www.birdchannel.com/bird-diet-and-health/bird-nutrition/bird-tomatoes.aspx

Last edited:

pmonsivais

Jul 11, 2011
Parrots
Yellow Blue Macaw
1yr old. Name Rio
I have a yellow blue macaw. 1yr old name Rio. I am new to this. My question is why does he shake. Is there something wrong.? HELP

pmonsivais

Jul 11, 2011
Parrots
Yellow Blue Macaw
1yr old. Name Rio
:31:
I have a yellow blue macaw. 1yr old name Rio. I am new to this. My question is why does he shake. Is there something wrong.? HELP
HE EATS GOOD. He drinks water and I think maybe its mites or someking of bug. May I am doing something wrong. Maybe the fan or he is cold? I am worried. Another question How do I take him to the Vet if I have too. In what. I am confused.
P Monsivais

427HISS

Jan 23, 2012
Nebraska
Sure. A good recipe is to add 1/2 of a lemon, dash of salt, pinch of pepper and 1/4 stick of butter to your ceramic non-greased pan and cook your parrot on each side for 4 minutes on each side at 250 degrees. M'mmmm, good. ! :p :D

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
So far, there has not been any problems with these products, however, you might want to do as much research as you can on whatever product/brand you are considering because there is a wide difference in quality and several of the lower end brands are either losing their non-stick properties after only a few uses or they are defective from the get-go...the major problems seem to be cleaning used pots & pans after use.....

Julianna

Feb 4, 2013
Media
Olympia, WA
Parrots
Pippi, my white-bellied caique
Does anyone know if Revlon brand hairdryers are safe? I've had Pippi for about 2.5 months, but now that it's getting colder, I was thinking of blow-drying her after baths. I know some people do this, but I'm not sure my dryer is bird-safe. Any thoughts on blow-drying birds after baths or on Revlon products would be appreciated. Thanks!

Most Reactions

Latest posts