Parrot Scam ....?

RedheadsRock

Sep 16, 2021
Parrots
None
I figured I'd post this here because I want to vent. I've been looking for a parrot for under $3-3.5K and I really like the Pionus family or a Hahn's macaw. However, both these parrots seem to easily go over 4K. So when I seen a Pionus out of state for 3K I was thrilled! I spoke to the person 3 times both via phone and email. I asked them through email if Paypal goods and services was accepted, and they said yes. I then called them on phone following day for further information and wanted confirmation that they would accept Paypal goods and services. But on the phone they said no, they prefer friends and family or otherwise I'd have to pay the Paypal fee (3% or so) if I choose to go through goods and services. So I agreed and asked them to send me an invoice. When I received the invoice this morning, the seller told me - "Only problem is that I want this done PAYPAL friends and family as I just found out that if you do it the other way then I do not get the money for 10 days as PAYPAL holds it for some reason and I have 6 other people behind you begging me for this bird and will pay me any way I like". After reading their email I decided it's best if I don't go through with the sale since I do not feel comfortable sending over 3K to another state through FRIENDS AND FAMILY Paypal. In addition, this is a seller whos been selling for YEARS, so you would think they would accept goods and services and allow the buyer to feel confident in their purchase.

If anyone cares, I might share the name of the shop if there's interest in knowing.

What do you guys think? Did I make the right call? Were they bogus?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Does PAYPAL offer the same restitution of claims for the Friends and Family option? That would be the telling point on this transaction and the insistence of using that option.

I understand your reluctance, I always use the regular business transaction, as I frequently buy stuff from Europe sight unseen and based only on a Ebay or other ad.

OP
R

RedheadsRock

Sep 16, 2021
Parrots
None
Does PAYPAL offer the same restitution of claims for the Friends and Family option? That would be the telling point on this transaction and the insistence of using that option.

I understand your reluctance, I always use the regular business transaction, as I frequently buy stuff from Europe sight unseen and based only on a Ebay or other ad.
If you select friends and family through PayPal then the transaction is non-refundable but if you select goods and services then you have payment/buyer protection and PayPal will reimburse you if something goes wrong.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
If you select friends and family through PayPal then the transaction is non-refundable but if you select goods and services then you have payment/buyer protection and PayPal will reimburse you if something goes wrong.
Yeah I would be hesitant then using that friends and family option. This is a business transaction - you need that added protection. Too many parrot scammers out there to not have it.

Most Reactions