Parrot who testified in murder trial

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Yes, this was all the talk back then as this occurred about 30+ miles North of us. To my memory, she was convicted of killer her husband. I do not recall whether the Parrot testified or not.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Reminds me of years ago, when drunk, I hit a pig in the road. Didn't stop but was smart enough to skedaddle home ASAP. Next morning a State trooper showed up at my door. Said "Mr M, we know you hit an animal last nite over on ****** road." I said "How did you find out?".

He said "The pig squealed on you".

WhiteFlight

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 20, 2020
Dallas, Texas
Parrots
Meisha: Umbrella Cockatoo | Female | 03/09/1989 Hatch Date
PARROT is headed to the stand in murder trial: Prosecutors refuse to rule out calling bird who yells 'don't shoot' after seeing his owner 'killing her husband.'

Your post reminds me of tragic event that occurred after the unfolding of the millennium:

Police Say Pet Helped Solve Murder
Dallas Morning News | 9/04/2002 | Tim Wyatt
Posted on 9/5/2002, 6.14.04 PM by sinkspur

Detective: Bird collected DNA while fighting off owner's killers

The 18-inch white-crested cockatoo couldn't save Mr. Butler, but police say Bird helped solve his brutal Christmas Eve slaying. "Bird" loved Kevin Butler so much that he died trying to fend off his owner's killers. DNA found on the bloody beak of the dead cockatoo provided the key evidence to put a suspect at the murder scene of Mr. Butler, 48, in Pleasant Grove, a Dallas police detective testified Tuesday at an examining trial.

A day before a Dallas grand jury decides whether Johnny Serna, 22, and Daniel Torres, 30, should be tried for capital murder, Detective Brent Mauldin told a judge that Bird "came to his owner's rescue by diving and pecking at Torres" during a violent struggle in Mr. Butler's living room.

"The bird attacked him, and he stabbed at him with a fork," Detective Mauldin testified.

The bird flew to the kitchen but carried a sample of the killer's blood, he said.

"So he forked the bird?" prosecutor George West asked.

"Yes," Detective Mauldin answered.

DNA found on the bloody beak of Bird, a white-crested cockatoo, provided the key evidence in the murder case. Police took the bodies of Mr. Butler and Bird to the Dallas County medical examiner's office. Tests found that Mr. Butler had been bound, beaten and stabbed multiple times. The cockatoo was missing a leg and died from a stab wound to the back.

Mr. Serna and Mr. Torres denied any involvement in the crime until test results came back in July with a DNA match of evidence collected from Bird's beak and a sample taken from Mr. Torres months earlier.

Faced with the evidence, the detective testified, Mr. Serna confessed that his half brother slashed Mr. Butler's throat while he searched the house for valuables. Police said the slaying was the result of a long-running feud between Mr. Serna and Mr. Butler because Mr. Serna had altered a check Mr. Butler gave him to pay for an aboveground pool liner.

Mr. Serna is being held in the Dallas County Jail in lieu of $1 million bail; Mr. Torres is being held in lieu of $750,000 bail.

Mr. Butler's body was discovered in his living room by a friend who went to his house after Mr. Butler failed to show up for Christmas dinner. His truck and a videocassette recorder were stolen, along with about $1,200 in cash, according to police reports. Mr. Butler's truck was found a few days later.

Detective Mauldin told Judge Jim Pruitt that an analysis on more forensic evidence collected from Mr. Butler's truck had not been completed. Mr. Serna's DNA samples did not match any of the samples collected, nor were his fingerprints found in Mr. Butler's home in the 3300 block of Etta Drive, near Scyene Road and Prairie Creek Road.

Mr. Serna and Mr. Torres live in the block behind Mr. Butler's house.

Mr. Butler got the cockatoo from a friend two years ago and named him after former NBA great Larry Bird, Mr. West said. Tests on the bird did not determine his age.

Cockatoos are large members of the parrot family known for being intelligent, affectionate and having boisterous personalities.

Mr. West said the bond between Mr. Butler and Bird was obvious.

"Bird died valiantly," Mr. West said. "There were feathers scattered through the house, and he put up a fight, no doubt about that.

"Kevin's family and co-workers have told me that you just didn't mess with Kevin while that bird was around."

SOURCE

WhiteFlight

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 20, 2020
Dallas, Texas
Parrots
Meisha: Umbrella Cockatoo | Female | 03/09/1989 Hatch Date
Bird, "came to his owner's rescue by diving and pecking at Torres," Detective Mauldin.

The action is reflected in layman's terms. Long ago we took in young orphaned air worthy blue jay named Jay Jay. Had an impressive personality. With that, he welded a respectable talent of using his beak as a deterrent weapon. He could peck at a rapid pace that could make you coil.

With umbrellas, pecking does not apply. Bird, proper noun, would have gouged the assailant with rage in the process of collecting DNA samples. Possibly left scars.

Most Reactions