parrot

kicker

Aug 23, 2010
Hi i want to buy a parrot and i dont know wish one to buy i dont want to buy one too expensive but i want one i can talk to what is the best parrot for me

thx pierre

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
Kicker .... I can't imagine you'll get many useful responses to this post. There's not NEARLY enough information here to even begin a discussion on what kind of parrot might be good for you - let alone whether a parrot would be at all. Anyone who offers a suggestion based just on this probably would not really be worth listening to.

Tell us a bit about yourself and why you are looking into getting a parrot. What do you want out of a relationship with a bird and what can/cant you put into it? What are you living arrangements, how much time do you have at home? etc.

I hate judge too quickly, but what is said of first impressions is quite true, and the seeming dismissive or nonchalant approach to this question is a bit disturbing.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
How old are you and do you have any experience with birds? Why do you want a bird? If it is for the sole purpose of a bird that talks then you should think twice about this. Birds are complex and need your devotion 100% of the time. Are you ready both physically and mentally for this commitment??

Cowtown

Aug 4, 2010
Media
Great State of Texas
Parrots
Abby 2 year old Female Eclectus & Solomon 12 year old Male CAG & Dickens 4 year old CAG.
How old are you and do you have any experience with birds? Why do you want a bird? If it is for the sole purpose of a bird that talks then you should think twice about this. Birds are complex and need your devotion 100% of the time. Are you ready both physically and mentally for this commitment??

Parrot, I have to agree with Spiritbird and Auggie.

I am 60 years old and this is my 1st Fid (Feathered Kid)... I did a ton of research on all species of parrots. They are not pets.. they are companions. They require the time attention and care of a child. it is a 24/7 commitment to be a guardian to a Fid. I suggest that you research Parrots in general and the 1st thing you will learn is that you do not own them they own you.
They are not like dogs or cats. You have to feed them not just throw some seed and water in a bowl everyday. Each species has special diet needs, if these are not met then the Fid will become ill and develop bad attitudes. Most people think that the Fid is mean or dumb.. most of the time it is due to diet and lack of attention/affection by the guardian.

Again... you need to ask yourself:
1. Why do I want a Parrot?
2. Can I devote the time and energy to care for a Parrot properly?
3. Can I afford the Parrot, cage, food, toys?

None of us are trying put you dreams of being a guardian to a Fid, we just want to make sure you have all the information required.

It is just like saying I want to join the Marines... cause their uniforms are cool looking... you had better research what all the Marines do before you sign on the dotted line.

Hope this helps.

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
Hi Pierre, welcome to the forum, take the time to let us know about yourself so that we might be able to advise you better..at this point trying to get an answer to your question is sort of like trying to catch fish without using bait.....;)

kauna72

Aug 24, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
Parrots
Green-Cheeked Conure
Rainbow Lorikeet
I'm new here myself, but not new to parrots. All I can say is that you've been given some of the best advice that you are ever going to hear from the above members. Do yourself a huge favor and listen to that advice.

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
I'm new here myself, but not new to parrots. All I can say is that you've been given some of the best advice that you are ever going to hear from the above members. Do yourself a huge favor and listen to that advice.

Its soooo nice when new members agree with us :09:, keep up the good work Dawn ;)....lol

Most Reactions