Parrotlet Passed Away - I don’t know what happened.

littleparrotlets

Sep 23, 2019
United States
Parrots
Female American Blue Parrotlet.
Male Turquoise Peid Parrotlet.
Male Black Headed Caique.
Last night my bird was egg bound again. She was almost two and had become a chronic egg layer. The last time she was laying eggs, they had to put her under to remove it because the egg was too big. This time the same but they tried to give her a pain medication instead first but my girl wasn’t able to be still so they had to put her under, and I don’t really know what happened but she’s gone.

I miss her so much and am heart broken. I also have another parrotlet who wants to lay eggs a lot, and I try everything to keep her from doing it, but now I’m terrified that if she gets egg bound, that this will happen, and I’m so scared. She does get the injections to help her, but I know it isn’t guaranteed to work. I can’t imagine losing her too, and I just don’t know what to do. I’m so sad and terrified.

Also both of the birds were really close, and I don’t know how she will be when she realizes that she’s not coming back. :/

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
I’m sorry for the loss of your little girl, all the more heartbreaking since she was only young. I’ve only had one experience with the hormonal implants with a broody cockatiel some years ago, unfortunately she passed after a massive epileptic seizure just under a year later so we didn’t get to see how they work long term. I do now however have a lorikeet hen who is a mad keen egg-layer inside or outside her regular breeding season and I’m CONSTANTLY on the lookout for signs that she may have another on the way. I don’t need to tell you what a worry it is! For starters just make sure your hen doesn’t have access to anything that even remotely resembles a nesting site, no hiding down your shirt or burrowing behind cushions on your couch, certainly nothing nesty in her cage and only pet or scratch her on the head and neck.

I wish you all the best in dealing with your remaining birdie, she will undoubtedly be wondering what has happened to her friend and will miss her terribly, as will you. Sending feathered hugs to both of you!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
My deepest condolences for the loss of your parrotlet. I am so sorry, may her beautiful memories provide comfort.

Let us hope the injections work for your other female. As LaManuka suggests, removing all possible sources of stimulus is helpful.

OP
L

littleparrotlets

Sep 23, 2019
United States
Parrots
I’m sorry for the loss of your little girl, all the more heartbreaking since she was only young. I’ve only had one experience with the hormonal implants with a broody cockatiel some years ago, unfortunately she passed after a massive epileptic seizure just under a year later so we didn’t get to see how they work long term. I do now however have a lorikeet hen who is a mad keen egg-layer inside or outside her regular breeding season and I’m CONSTANTLY on the lookout for signs that she may have another on the way. I don’t need to tell you what a worry it is! For starters just make sure your hen doesn’t have access to anything that even remotely resembles a nesting site, no hiding down your shirt or burrowing behind cushions on your couch, certainly nothing nesty in her cage and only pet or scratch her on the head and neck.

I wish you all the best in dealing with your remaining birdie, she will undoubtedly be wondering what has happened to her friend and will miss her terribly, as will you. Sending feathered hugs to both of you!

Thank you. I’m so sorry for your loss as well. Thank you for the advice. I already was able to get my other bird a checkup along with her second Lupron injection exactly on her two week mark at her regular office, so I think that will be helpful. My birds tended to feed off each other’s hormones, and I’m doing everything I can to keep her from being hormonal. Hopefully the doctor will be able to put me at some ease as well.

OP
L

littleparrotlets

Sep 23, 2019
United States
Parrots
My deepest condolences for the loss of your parrotlet. I am so sorry, may her beautiful memories provide comfort.

Let us hope the injections work for your other female. As LaManuka suggests, removing all possible sources of stimulus is helpful.

Thank you. Yes, me too. I think my other two birds fed off each other’s hormones before. I was able to get an appointment which is the exact two week mark of her last injection. Her regular vet isn’t available but I was able to still get her to see another doctor. They asked if I wanted an exam too, and I thought it would be a safer bet to have her examined to see if the first one has helped. I think it has, but I really want to avoid her egg laying as best as I can. And I’m hoping maybe the vet could give me some possible clarity as to what could have happened last night with the one who passed. They said they were going to ask for her records.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Such sad news. So sorry! You have my sympathies, we know how much this hurts, and how much our birds mean to us. I never know what to say... Just want you to know we care.

OP
L

littleparrotlets

Sep 23, 2019
United States
Parrots
Very Sorry to read this. What was her name?

Thank you. I named her after both of my grandmothers who unfortunately passed away, so I am hoping she is with them now.

OP
L

littleparrotlets

Sep 23, 2019
United States
Parrots
Such sad news. So sorry! You have my sympathies, we know how much this hurts, and how much our birds mean to us. I never know what to say... Just want you to know we care.

Thank you so much.

Most Reactions