Parrotlets

LynneB

Mar 11, 2021
Can anyone please help me with my Parrotlets. I have 8 pair and I introduced them to their new cages about 6 weeks ago. The cages are outside (almost subtropical here), and I have heating underneath the nest boxes for winter. One pair has started laying but the other seven pair are still clinging to the cage wire of a night. I can't seem to get them to get off the wire even when it's raining. They roost in the upper front corners of the cage and hang on until morning.

The cages are suspended, 60cm high x 90cm long x 70cm wide, half covered on top for shelter, and nest boxes are at the rear, under cover.

Very frustrating because I spent a lot of money to get the cages/nestboxes just right for Parrotlets. Daytime is okay, a bit skittish at times but they are getting used to my putting in food, my walking past, cleaning, etc. Quite settled during the day, it's the nights that bother me with their clinging to the wire.

Please, if anyone can help I would love to hear from you. Thanks

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Hi. Do you have experience with breeding other species of parrots? You might attach some pictures of the cages and the set up you have, it will help the members better respond to your questions.

Noahs_Birds

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 24, 2019
Toowoomba/Highfields, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Yellow Sided GCC's, Rosa Bourkes Parrots, Full Red Fronted Turqoisine Parrots, Quaker Parrots 'Scomo PM' 'Jenny PM's wife', PLUS: Rare Finches, Doves and Quail
They will get used to the cage setup soon enough. When I got my first few pairs of Turqoisine Parrots 7 years ago they spent about and month and a half doing the exact same thing. There is no problem with them doing that, the only worry is that any predatory birds or rodents getting at them through the wire when they are hanging there is the issue. Might be worthwhile to hang a bit of fruit netting over the front if the cages just in case

OP
L

LynneB

Mar 11, 2021
Wrench 13. I have had birds (all types), since I was about 20. I'm now 70, and I have had hundreds over the years and thousands of chicks. And believe it or not, I still get the occassional thing that stumps me.

Noahs_Birds. Thank you. I have struck this problem before but not to the current extent. Just seems that they should be a bit more settled of a night than they are. Guess time will tell. Their cage is vermin proof so nothing can get in (6mm wire), but possums and cats could jump on the top I suppose.

I only have Quakers and Parrotlets these days. I find I like the smaller parrots, and I only like the big ones when they belong to someone else. :green:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Hi. We wish you success with your clutch of parrotlets. You certainly have the experience with breeding and raising parrot chicks ! Please let us know how the situation develops with your parrotlets and remain an active member with ParrotForums, we always welcome input on breeding parrots from experienced breeders.

Most Reactions

Latest posts