Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Do parrots experience emotions, similar to our own? I think yes definately, at least some of them. Salty is 100% capable of feeling annoyance, and retribution, friendship and hatred. Love at first sight? Just read about so many members on here that have had a parrot instantly know that this person is THEIRS. And forgiveness, that too. Salty will get highly incessed if I am home for a day and do not spend enough time with him, to the point of administering purposeful determined bites, only to be forgiven the next day if I apologize and make up with him. I think he feels contrite and remorse for having been such a shit to me the day before, too. Dogs have emotions too, I think, but they are different, whether by nature or the result of 1000's of years of domestication by man. Never owned cats so I cant say much there. Horses - I've has a few and they seem more food driven than any sort of emotional attachment. Of course this all could be simple anthromorphizing on our part, man is more then capable of lying to itself on many levels.

What do you think on this?

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
Emotions are mediated by chemicals released by the limbic system, and thatā€™s a very primitive system. Humans have higher levels of cognition and emotional nuance and awareness layered on top of the most primitive stuff, but we still have all the primitive stuff. Humans still experience the fight or flight response. Itā€™s a gradient, nto a cliff.

Dr. Pepperberg related a story about Alexā€¦it was the end of the day, and someone came by. I donā€™t remember the exact details, if it was a reporter or fellow researcher or friendā€¦but she asked Alex the color of something and he didnā€™t feel like working, so he kept giving the wrong answer. Pepperberg decided he wasnā€™t going to cooperate, so she put him into his sleep cage and the two humans left the room to get dinner. Out in the hall, they collapsed in laughter because they could hear Alex yelling ā€œIā€™m sorry! Come back! Green! Green!ā€

I think when we see animals showing surprise, they are surprised. Animals acting angry are probably angry. We sometimes misinterpret things, and donā€™t get the emotions right. Maybe some reactions are more hard-wired and instinctive, but they are real.

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
Certainly parrots have and express emotions. They can express them very effectively too, with actions, sounds, body language and bites. Parrots will show that they're happy, sad, scared, annoyed, angry, frustrated and more.

I've never owned horses, but I've followed horse racing for much of my life. I've seen examples of horses expressing emotions, including anger and fear. I've also seen evidence that, like parrots, horses can have a sense of humor.

Some people claim that what we may think of as emotions in animals is nothing more than our attempting to give them human attributes, but I'm sure that isn't so and the emotions are real.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Emotions are mediated by chemicals released by the limbic system, and thatā€™s a very primitive system. Humans have higher levels of cognition and emotional nuance and awareness layered on top of the most primitive stuff, but we still have all the primitive stuff. Humans still experience the fight or flight response. Itā€™s a gradient, nto a cliff.

Dr. Pepperberg related a story about Alexā€¦it was the end of the day, and someone came by. I donā€™t remember the exact details, if it was a reporter or fellow researcher or friendā€¦but she asked Alex the color of something and he didnā€™t feel like working, so he kept giving the wrong answer. Pepperberg decided he wasnā€™t going to cooperate, so she put him into his sleep cage and the two humans left the room to get dinner. Out in the hall, they collapsed in laughter because they could hear Alex yelling ā€œIā€™m sorry! Come back! Green! Green!ā€

I think when we see animals showing surprise, they are surprised. Animals acting angry are probably angry. We sometimes misinterpret things, and donā€™t get the emotions right. Maybe some reactions are more hard-wired and instinctive, but they are real.
What precious experiences. Thank you for sharing. I have an idea that the smarter the bird, one of two things is true... either they experience more emotions more fully... OR... they express them (especially when words are involved) more clearly. Alex was a genius among birds. Greys are so dang smart. My little Patagonian knucklehead is not very intelligent, but he definitely can show a few of his most characteristic emotions. When left alone (and not napping!!), he screams NO NO NO NO GAIL GAIL GAIL NO NO. When I go into his room, he settles, fluffs his feathers, sidles up to the cage door in his best suck-up waddle and practically coos OH GAIL OH GAIL GAIL GAIL. There is something going on between those beady little eyeballs. Like... anger? need? attachment/love?

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
No doubt that parrots have emotions.
My Amazons wear there heart on there sleeve.
My African Grey is harder to read.
she shows her joy/happiness to my wife.
The rest of the family she just sort of tolerates.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I am sure parrots have emotions. Iā€™m not so clear about chickens and turkeys, but when I worked with them in school I always tried to be very calm and kind. Sometimes my chicks would fall asleep in my hand after I took a blood sample.

All birds deserve good treatment.

I think itā€™s like having aliens living on our planet. Very similar to us but with a different style brain.

My parrots have often told me ā€œgood good bird!ā€ after a nice long scritch or massage, and occasionally ā€œBAD Bird!ā€ Or ā€œNo!ā€ once when I was teasing Lucy.

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
In the past I thought that parrots don't really have emotions - only the basic ones like being scared which help them surviving in the wild. I think I read somewhere this not smart info... Currently I don't think so.

Parrots have emotions too but to understand them, first you need to learn their language - both body and verbal one.
I still remember this how I was removing Romek's body after he passed away - Rozalka seeing him being removed made a sound I call as "Bourke crying/being sad". This meant just one thing - she felt sadness because of his death.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
When I showed Lucyā€™s body to Oscar, he refused to come out or interact at all. I didnā€™t realize he loved her that much because he picked on her. But he must have. He just quit everything then. Awful.

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
Do parrots experience emotions, similar to our own? I think yes definately, at least some of them. Salty is 100% capable of feeling annoyance, and retribution, friendship and hatred. Love at first sight? Just read about so many members on here that have had a parrot instantly know that this person is THEIRS. And forgiveness, that too. Salty will get highly incessed if I am home for a day and do not spend enough time with him, to the point of administering purposeful determined bites, only to be forgiven the next day if I apologize and make up with him. I think he feels contrite and remorse for having been such a shit to me the day before, too. Dogs have emotions too, I think, but they are different, whether by nature or the result of 1000's of years of domestication by man. Never owned cats so I cant say much there. Horses - I've has a few and they seem more food driven than any sort of emotional attachment. Of course this all could be simple anthromorphizing on our part, man is more then capable of lying to itself on many levels.

I have had a deep bond with all these a animals you have listed and I can say without a doubt they all are capable of emotions similar to ours.

RockyNRob

Sep 16, 2018

all creatures have emotions Some have a much higher understanding of things than you realize.

Most Reactions

Latest posts