parrots and visitors

Catherine_

Nov 7, 2012
Far North Coast of NSW, Australia
Parrots
Sam; Alexandrina
Hi I was just wondering how other people's parrots interacted with visitors. My Alexandrine Sam is obsessed with visitors especially new people he doesn't know. He'll fly straight on to the persons shoulder and will talk non stop he want be aggressive he just really seems to like meeting people. Sometimes when the people are ready to leave it is almost impossible for me to get him off their shoulder and into his cage so the visitors can leave. I had to throw a tea-towel on him once. It can be very funny at times. This week Sam and myself was cleaning the kitchen and I didn't know that my partner had let in two solar panel salesmen. (Last quarter our bill was $1100.00 so now investing the money for solar power). Anyway Sam heard them in the living room and flew straight to them and on one of their shoulders. It scared them half to death as they had never had that happen before. When they got over the initial shock they found it quite funny. So just wondering if other people's parrots are obssessed with visitors.

Ash

Nov 20, 2011
Hamilton, New Zealand
My Alexandrine Yuki does : )
She is pretty much the same, but she is currently clipped so she can't really fly. But she will glide/walk to strangers. :p
Im 100% sure she would go home with them :p

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
Codie is not very keen on visitors:( He gets very agitated!! I think alot of it is jealousy as I am not paying attention to him.

LoveMyParrots

Dec 29, 2012
Media
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Ozzie - alexandrine parakeet
Maybe it's an Alexandrine thing. They certainly aren't a shy bird lol.

If that is an alexandrine thing, then Ozzie would be different from the others! Ozzie doesn't really like strangers, he sometimes gets scared and runs to me, and then climb up my shoulder (which I normally won't let him to be up my shoulder). If the stranger where going to pick him up, he would hind under my hair. Lol. But one thing I have notices, is that he has NEVER bite a stranger! If he gets scared, he would run to me or hind in his cage.

It might be because he is still young and isn't that used to strangers. And that's one of the reason I'm harness training him, so I could be able to safely bring him out to show him the outside world. :)

ConureCrazy

Jun 13, 2012
Media
California
Parrots
Senegal: Oliver ~~
Yellow-Sided GCC's: Bella and Zora ~~
R.I.P Tweeters the Cockatiel<3
Bella and Zora couldn't care less, but Oliver screams nonstop. :(

BradGC

Jul 31, 2012
Gold Coast, Australia
Parrots
Alexandrine parakeet
Monty loves new people, he prefers men but now likes both the same.
If someone isn't very interested in him or picking him up, he tends to sense it and also stays away from them.

Most Reactions