Parrots Are At Pet Stores Again 😁

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
I was at Petsmart today. They have birds again! At least here in Minnesota. For the longest time there were no birds, or they weren’t being displayed. Maybe because of COVID?

I really want the conure but I fear that a green cheek may be too small for my Jenday. Maybe others that have multiple different conures can leave feedback if you can mix them? I was just going to stick to a sun or Jenday as they are close in size.

299E2FF3-4023-45FE-BEBE-694556468C89.jpeg
DDE8528E-6576-4F40-9323-47BE6452B03E.jpeg
DBC1DF34-C942-46C5-85BB-278FA1C72110.jpeg
216FE5C5-1C0A-4036-873B-8A39C94E7201.jpeg
6248CC20-EB72-4EFD-989A-113A41106968.jpeg

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
oh way south, nvm thanks though!

Jul 25, 2022
Germany
Parrots
Lemon Pie & Kermit the Frog [red-crowned parakeets / Kakarikis]
Sadly, I can’t help you with your question about mixing different conure species but the little guy (or gal) they have looks super cute :giggle:.

As someone who’s not from the U.S.: Are those normal prices for pet birds or is your pet store unusually expensive?
Because to me - maybe apart form the budgies - those look like some damn expensive birds :oops:.

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
It is possible to keep them together but it's a risk - they may not accept themselves and then the bigger conure may be dangerous. We had a member who had both Pyrrhura and Aratinga conures and once time the bigger one attacked the smaller one and the owner had to go to the avian vet asap because of a bleeding toe.

Jexnell

Supporting Member
2x Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jul 28, 2019
Portland Oregon
Parrots
Phoenix - Sun conure
Sadly, I can’t help you with your question about mixing different conure species but the little guy (or gal) they have looks super cute :giggle:.

As someone who’s not from the U.S.: Are those normal prices for pet birds or is your pet store unusually expensive?
Because to me - maybe apart form the budgies - those look like some damn expensive birds :oops:.
Since Covid hit the prices of birds has skyrocketed. Pre Covid Parakeets were around $20, Green cheeks $350, Sun Conure $450, Cockatiels $150. Now everything is about double pre Covid prices.
I got my Sun Conure July 19 2019 for $450. I can't find one now for less than $1k.

OP
kme3388

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Yes, parrots in the U.S are very expensive. A macaw will easily go for over $5000. They unfortunately get rehomed too. I know bits and pieces about parrot coloration. I was informed that color mutations are worth a fortune here in the U.S.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
This year's cause was Bird Flu and it was a State by State band based on the number of Hot Spots (out-breaks) a specific State was experiencing. We are about center of the Spring and Fall Migrations and depending on whether the returning Birds are carrying active virus or if it had gone dormant over the Summer as seen in years past. will define if sales continue or are stopped for several months.

Last edited:

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
there is a Sun Conure at the Plymouth Petsmart. $899

Looks healthy, but I have to many birds.....

OP
kme3388

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
I was at the Rochester one yesterday. They had finches, a conure, and budgies. The cockatiels were sold out. They had a new section called the rare budgie section.

Briburd

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 25, 2021
Media
San Diego
Parrots
Mojito the green cheek conure
Pets stores definitely raise their prices a lot but I always say, at least hope, that it is a higher price at a pet store that will make Mommy or Daddy think twice before saying yes to little Jimmy tapping on the glass saying I want that one.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
Pets stores definitely raise their prices a lot but I always say, at least hope, that it is a higher price at a pet store that will make Mommy or Daddy think twice before saying yes to little Jimmy tapping on the glass saying I want that one.
Agreed. Buying a bird you are investing for thirty years or so.

bonitabird59

Apr 12, 2022
I won't say where I work or for which company as I do not represent them at all, however, I am a manager over the pet department.. and yeah. We got GCCs back and it makes me sick to my stomach because of the 1.) price point, they don't sell and the cages they're in are not great for long term 2.) these are very under-socialized birds. almost always terrified of humans and will be that way for the majority of their short lives (bad breeding).
covid definitely played a role in getting these guys back. :(

bonitabird59

Apr 12, 2022
I won't say where I work or for which company as I do not represent them at all, however, I am a manager over the pet department.. and yeah. We got GCCs back and it makes me sick to my stomach because of the 1.) price point, they don't sell and the cages they're in are not great for long term 2.) these are very under-socialized birds. almost always terrified of humans and will be that way for the majority of their short lives (bad breeding).
covid definitely played a role in getting these guys back. :(
The gcc in my profile picture is one that I got from work and he's been one of the toughest birds I've ever had

Most Reactions

Latest posts