Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
Because I love parrots and learning about life history, I thought I may try to connect both - so I decided to try to draw parrots' history starting with one of the oldest vertebrates - Haikouichthys.

Notes: It may have many mistakes. I'm not an expert however I was working a bit with fossils and I know basics about the past. Of course any colors won't be right - we don't know how exactly these animals looked like.

The first drawings may be boring - at least the first drawn animal is very primitive. At the end I may try to draw some prehistoric parrots.

So, here's Haikouichthys - ~518 million years ago (Cambrian period)
haikouichthys.png

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Challenging subject, but a worthy task!

One of the things that may help is understanding that Birds evolved when the landmasses of the World were all connected. As a result, the common features of Birds, likely defined that early group. Whether the base group formed around the "Old World" birds or the "New World" Birds either group have vast similarities. Work with those and you will should be able to define an example Bird!

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Because I love parrots and learning about life history, I thought I may try to connect both - so I decided to try to draw parrots' history starting with one of the oldest vertebrates - Haikouichthys.

Notes: It may have many mistakes. I'm not an expert however I was working a bit with fossils and I know basics about the past. Of course any colors won't be right - we don't know how exactly these animals looked like.

The first drawings may be boring - at least the first drawn animal is very primitive. At the end I may try to draw some prehistoric parrots.

So, here's Haikouichthys - ~518 million years ago (Cambrian period)
View attachment 42206
Edit: Not actual. Already gave up.
Roz, I hope you don't give up, this would be very interesting! I love your drawing here.

I went to the Royal Tyrell many years ago. I had no idea at the time that I was looking at my future.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
any more drawings?

OP
Rozalka

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
OP
Rozalka

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Update: I came back to this idea! Probably I just needed to finish my previous "project"

But... I have a note:
It's unknown how true is this what I share here. The evolution I share is a bit out dated but we don't have enough data to be able use current data - the oldest known tetrapod traces are even older than Eusthenopteron, which was supposed to live before the first animals on land... But we don't know what was before and later, probably there were two such evolutions of leaving water - who knows when it was time for birds acestors?🤷
7d1e6197-cac1-4e25-97c0-00591a6945d7.png

Eusthenopteron - ~385 million years ago (Devonian period)
I did a quite big break time because I couldn't find anything between and I don't think it would be interesting - fish fish and fish
Originally I wanted to draw scales but it was talking so much time and it didn't look good ... Now it looks boring blue😝 (reminder: we don't know the colors)

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
When one looks at what was around and doing what any time over 1.5 million years ago the evidence gets really thin. So, personally, I would not be overly concerned as so little is really 'known.' Since the transition between water and land likely occurred across huge areas of the World and the vast number of tidal pools. That implies numerous species evolving /transitioning near or about the same time.

Ocean levels have transitioned vastly over the long history of Earth. Only 11,000 to 15,000 years ago, Earth began its current realm with ocean levels raising 300+ feet (100 meters) during that period and they still continue to raise to this day and into the future, at which point, history implies that the Earth will cool and water will begin to freeze more than melts each year.

So your choices in color are near endless and with some exceptions that is true on the physical side as well. With color, it will likely favor light colors as they tend to limit the effect of the Sun, which would more rapidly dry-out a darker color.

Have Fun With It!!

I once read a study that implied that Birds evolved from Turtles! The deeper I read into the documentation the more issues (time line) became apparent. Love your dedication to proper research!!

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
Timneh: Grady;
Senegal: Charlie;
Sun Conure: Peaches (deceased)
Senegal: Georgia
Peach-fronted Conure: Milton (foster)
Brown-throated Conure: Pumpkin (foster)
Senegal: Fletcher
Senegal: Ivy
Are you familiar with this book? (It had a few popular covers.)

1663521840879.png

1663521908994.png

1663521926938.png

Amazon U.S. product info:

OP
Rozalka

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
When one looks at what was around and doing what any time over 1.5 million years ago the evidence gets really thin. So, personally, I would not be overly concerned as so little is really 'known.' Since the transition between water and land likely occurred across huge areas of the World and the vast number of tidal pools. That implies numerous species evolving /transitioning near or about the same time.
I'm not so concerned - just in case I wanted to note that not everything is real because I think that some people "believe in everything" they see.
Are you familiar with this book? (It had a few popular covers.)

View attachment 44241

View attachment 44242
View attachment 44243

Amazon U.S. product info:
I have never heard of this book because I don't collect books about evolution ;)

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Yes, I have!! In fact, it is the foundation in my belief that Avians fly (are lifted, between wing strokes) on bubbles of air. The development of their wing bones and muscle support very specific movement that allows for that type of flight. Great understandings are based in use of solid knowledge.

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
I have never heard of this book because I don't collect books about evolution ;)
@Rozalka, I am more interested in the evolution of my faith; but, I make a lot of exceptions for birds. 🙂

OP
Rozalka

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
@Rozalka, I am more interested in the evolution of my faith; but, I make a lot of exceptions for birds. 🙂
I do a lot of exceptions too, but particularly for parrots. Somehow I'm not interested in collecting books, I always think that I can find more actual info on the Internet - for parrots sometimes I may do an exception but I'm really modest - the only book I'm thinking right now is about Pyrhurra conures but because it's kinda expensive for a Pole, I decided to buy it after finishing my uni work. Somehow I'm not interested in evolution enough to buy a book

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
Somehow I'm not interested in collecting books, I always think that I can find more actual info on the Internet - for parrots sometimes I may do an exception but I'm really modest - the only book I'm thinking right now is about Pyrhurra conures but because it's kinda expensive for a Pole, I decided to buy it after finishing my uni work. Somehow I'm not interested in evolution enough to buy a book
@Rozalka, I am not collecting books; I buy them to read them, even if not in their entirety. :]

The Internet can be great, but it typically lacks the cohesiveness, citations, and quality of a decent book.

I get a lot of books for just a couple or few US dollars, used in great condition.

OP
Rozalka

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
@Rozalka, I am not collecting books; I buy them to read them, even if not in their entirety. :]
I wrote a bit wrong - I sometimes read too, just never entirely. The main reason why I haven't bought yet the mentioned Pyrhurra book is because I'm afraid, it could distract me too much from the uni work, so I prefer wait and finish it.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Had not seen that video regarding Lovebird flight, thank you.
The only problem with that very short cut is it depicts one very specific 'type' of flight, which maybe better defined as 'observational' i.e. viewing the World around them. Thinking more like a Mumming bird's flight prior to sipping.

Sources for knowledge has become ever more difficult as PHD documents have little review and rarely represent a lengthy /profound effort /study. Exampled in the near yearly inquires that Parrot Forum receives. The Internet has become a near wasteland of poorly structured studies placed more for 'effect' (a news release) then an understanding or want for knowledge.

Once again, thank you for your devotion to knowledge, as it is heartwarming.

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
Had not seen that video regarding Lovebird flight, thank you.
The only problem with that very short cut is it depicts one very specific 'type' of flight, which maybe better defined as 'observational' i.e. viewing the World around them. Thinking more like a Mumming bird's flight prior to sipping.

Sources for knowledge has become ever more difficult as PHD documents have little review and rarely represent a lengthy /profound effort /study. Exampled in the near yearly inquires that Parrot Forum receives. The Internet has become a near wasteland of poorly structured studies placed more for 'effect' (a news release) then an understanding or want for knowledge.

Once again, thank you for your devotion to knowledge, as it is heartwarming.
The Standford research seems to be aimed at making better "flying robots", and it has been going on for years. I would love to find a cache of their related videos and findings.

Note the first video I shared was from 2015, and this is from 2013.

OP
Rozalka

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
backupPreview.png

Panderichtys ~ 380 mln years ago

Of course I don't think they had such patches 😝 I made them just to not make it boring orange

Most Reactions