Parrots Under Blankets

FineFeatheredFids

Mar 9, 2021
Hellooo everyone!

Every night, my two year old sun conure and I have this routine where I curl up in bed or on the sofa and she lays on my chest and I pull the blanket up over her. Right now, she’s on my chest and her head is poking out of the blanket. My vet says I shouldn’t do this ever, period, no exceptions, because it is nesting behavior, buuuut he also believes in height dominance and says I should be the β€œalpha bird” which seems to be outdated bird psychology when I research. SO I thought I’d ask you guys for your thoughts. She only does this at night and has no nesting behavior during the day. She also doesn’t defend the space if one of my other birds is around. Unless they step on her. 🀣 If she isn’t sleepy enough, she wants nothing to do with getting under the covers.

To me, it doesn’t seem very β€œnesty,” but I’ve only had birds for a few years so I’m hardly an expert. Thank you for any advice or opinions you have!

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
I would say no. Even if it's not nesting behavior, you can accidentally fall asleep and roll onto her and crush her. I have seen it happen all too many times, where people say they never fall asleep with their bird, and the next minute the bird is dead.

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Yeah, I agree with StormyPica. She could get hurt and besides, it might well be nesting behavior.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I know that do not want to hear this, but it is not going to have a good ending. Also, show me when this type of activity exists in their Natural Setting. It doesn't!

Just because you want to does not make it correct. Time to be the Grown-up in the room and choose to be responsible. Your Parrot depends on your to assure its safety.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
I know that do not want to hear this, but it is not going to have a good ending. Also, show me when this type of activity exists in their Natural Setting. It doesn't!

Just because you want to does not make it correct. Time to be the Grown-up in the room and choose to be responsible. Your Parrot depends on your to assure its safety.
They never said that, Sailboat. They were just checking their vet's info.

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Kiwi - Green Cheek Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou & Liberty - Ringneck Doves)
Even if it isn't nesting behavior right now, dark confined spaces can increase hormones in birds and turn into nesting behavior. And as previously mentioned, she could be crushed.

You're completely correct in that there's no such thing as an alpha bird (if he ACTUALLY said "alpha" bird that's kind of hilarious to me) but in the case of avoiding blankets, I do think your vet has the right idea :'( it's unfortunate, because it sounds very very cute.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
100% with the other members. Its a dangerous thing to do. I think in 2021 we had 3 members accidently kill their parrots because of falling asleep and crushing them.

Most Reactions

Latest posts