Parrots wont breed

lvitali

May 6, 2021
i have greys amazons cockatiels lovebirds, but nobody breed. they in warm environment, pellet diet + fruit, uv lights. lovebirds and cockatiels make eggs but not hatch, amazons and greys go in nestboxes to play but no sex or eggs. any suggestion?

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
Hmm I have no experience buy from other posts I've read some just do not breed. Are you sure you have the opposite sex?

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Often its a complex issue. Some pairs need to be together for years before they start breeding. Age.
Chronic stress will prevent breeding , as in too small of cage, cages to close to other birds, noise level, lack of real sunlight, ...
Some need privacy. Need exercise
Some pairs don't like each other
Hidden health issues
Its really complex, it often isn't just throwing birds together and expecting breeding and eggs right away.

But since you have issues with all you pairs. Then your set up is probably not adequate. A guess would do be to many birds to close together, and not enough space for each pair. And you talk about uv lights, which may not meet needs or be proper time. Natural sunlight and time , access to out door Aviary

Last edited:
OP
L

lvitali

May 6, 2021
Often its a complex issue. Some pairs need to be together for years before they start breeding. Age.
Chronic stress will prevent breeding , as in too small of cage, cages to close to other birds, noise level, lack of real sunlight, ...
Some need privacy. Need exercise
Some pairs don't like each other
Hidden health issues
Its really complex, it often isn't just throwing birds together and expecting breeding and eggs right away.

But since you have issues with all you pairs. Then your set up is probably not adequate. A guess would do be to many birds to close together, and not enough space for each pair. And you talk about uv lights, which may not meet needs or be proper time. Natural sunlight and time , access to out door Aviary
one pair been together for 10 years, others maybe 3, very spacious aviaries, all indoors and heated, some UV light, maybe I need more, just switched to healthier diet that could be it

Birdgirl24

Dec 2, 2021
North Dakota
Parrots
I have 1 budgie, He is a male both. I have been looking into getting an Eclectus Parrot tho.
Do you have nesting boxes? And soft food sometimes soft moist food can stimulate the parents to lay eggs. Obviously this is only off reserch ive done but Good luck.

OP
L

lvitali

May 6, 2021
Do you have nesting boxes? And soft food sometimes soft moist food can stimulate the parents to lay eggs. Obviously this is only off reserch ive done but Good luck.

yes many nest boxes and they have fruit three times a day except cockatiels and lovebirds they wont eat it but greys and amazons do

Most Reactions

Latest posts