Pasta in Chop for Eclectus?

LoveOfallAnimals

Jul 17, 2022
Texas
Parrots
Eclectus - Female - Tequila
Red-Lored Amazon - Male - Tito
Albino Indian Ringneck - Female - Tia
Honestly, the more I read the more confused I become. My vet recommended several different chop recipes, but most of them seem to be adding in pasta. I came across a couple of articles that state that eclectus parrots should not have pasta. Do you add pasta to your chop or should I leave it out of those recipes? I have placed a call into his office, but in the meantime I thought I would hear what other eclectus parents are doing.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Oh the joys of the internet, eh? Everyone’s an expert.

A bit of pasta is fine, so long as it’s made without added vitamins/minerals, and without unbleached all purpose flower (find lentil pasta, or chickpea pasta). Encouraged, even, because it can absorb some moisture to improve the quality of the chop.

The problem is that most pasta are empty carb calories that have been enriched. Pasta made with lentil flour or chickpea flour (among others) are different.

OP
LoveOfallAnimals

LoveOfallAnimals

Jul 17, 2022
Texas
Parrots
Eclectus - Female - Tequila
Red-Lored Amazon - Male - Tito
Albino Indian Ringneck - Female - Tia
Oh the joys of the internet, eh? Everyone’s an expert.

A bit of pasta is fine, so long as it’s made without added vitamins/minerals, and without unbleached all purpose flower (find lentil pasta, or chickpea pasta). Encouraged, even, because it can absorb some moisture to improve the quality of the chop.

The problem is that most pasta are empty carb calories that have been enriched. Pasta made with lentil flour or chickpea flour (among others) are different.
Thank you! I thought I was prepared for bringing an eclectus home, but here I am worrying about everything. I can at least say almost anything I do according to my vet is an improvement over the breeder who believes Roudybush is a complete diet and no need to feed anything else.

Most Reactions