Jul 20, 2022
United Kingdom
Parrots
Reo: Cockatiel
Kiki: pineapple conure
Woodstock: cockatiel
Herbie: patagonian conure
Hi everyone,
I’m new here all though have been reading posts on this site for a long time.
So as the title suggests i will be having a patagonian conure companion in about 3 weeks time! And I would love love love to hear peoples experiences with this particular type of bird, photos and videos welcome and everything I need to know plus as much about their personalities as possible.
I currently have two cockatiels and one green cheek conure. They are housed separately but free fly at home together all day and get along really well. Is it possible for Herbie our new patagonian to intergrate into the flock or will he have to remain in a separate room? Of course he/she will be housed separately.
Also how bitey are they? He is currently 9’weeks old and will be around 12-13 weeks old when we pick him/her up to bring home. What do I need to be prepared for apart from how noisy they can be?
Herbie the patagonian is my DREAM bird and I cannot believe I get to have one as a companion soon. I cannot stop thinking about him. Im currently allowed to visit once or twice a week for a quick cuddle with him. And it’s unbearable every time leaving without him/her. I’m in the UK and they are very rare here! Also google is failing me with searching for information on their character and how much to feed them etc as there seems to be such little info on them. My current birds are on harrisons pellets and veggie chop mix daily. But how much to feed a pattie?
These next few weeks wait are AGONY so please put me out of my misery with all the pattie info and pictures i need to get me through 😅🥰
Video is of todays visit having a little cuddle

Attachments

• C078F6DF-9026-4837-AE8B-E2D54999F2C4.jpeg
    C078F6DF-9026-4837-AE8B-E2D54999F2C4.jpeg
    308.7 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Oh, I am so excited to get to be the one to link this!

Rickeybird is a Patagonian, something of a celebrity here, and he’s an incredible 38 years old! He also eats Harrison’s. This thread has been around since 2016, and I daresay at half a million views it’s probably one of the most viewed threads on Parrot Forums!

I must confess, I’m not a true Rickeybird scholar, but I do recall that he LOVES peppers, so maybe make sure you’ve got those on hand for treats.

Also, judging from the photos of @GaleriaGila in that thread, I have to assume owning a Patagonian has some kind of Dorian Gray effect…

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Well we have a long time member here, Gail, who has a Patty. Search on the word RIckeybird. A note of caution, from what I know about Patagonian and have experienced first hand, they are lovely parrots, much given to cuddling and burrowing in shirts. The RIckeybird is an exception so dont take too much away from Gail's long running and very popular thread.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
Oh gosh, I also forgot to say - we’d love to see photos of your current flock & your future newest member! :love:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Welcome to the forum!
I also dream of having a Patty some day, they are such wonderful birds!
GaleriaGila is definitely the one to talk to about them, she has had the Rickeybird for 37 years now, if I remember correctly.

I'm so happy you joined us!

OP
Rkwh

Rkwh

Jul 20, 2022
United Kingdom
Parrots
Reo: Cockatiel
Kiki: pineapple conure
Woodstock: cockatiel
Herbie: patagonian conure
Oh gosh, I also forgot to say - we’d love to see photos of your current flock & your future newest member! :love:
I’ve just managed to post a picture on the original post, i’m still getting used to how to work this forum 🙈

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Hi everyone,
So as the title suggests i will be having a patagonian conure companion in about 3 weeks time! And I would love love love to hear peoples experiences with this particular type of bird, photos and videos welcome and everything I need to know plus as much about their personalities as possible.
I currently have two cockatiels and one green cheek conure. They are housed separately but free fly at home together all day and get along really well. Is it possible for Herbie our new patagonian to intergrate into the flock or will he have to remain in a separate room? Of course he/she will be housed separately.
Also how bitey are they? He is currently 9’weeks old and will be around 12-13 weeks old when we pick him/her up to bring home. What do I need to be prepared for apart from how noisy they can be?
Herbie the patagonian is my DREAM bird and I cannot believe I get to have one as a companion soon. I cannot stop thinking about him. Im currently allowed to visit once or twice a week for a quick cuddle with him. And it’s unbearable every time leaving without him/her. I’m in the UK and they are very rare here! Also google is failing me with searching for information on their character and how much to feed them etc as there seems to be such little info on them. My current birds are on harrisons pellets and veggie chop mix daily. But how much to feed a pattie?
These next few weeks wait are AGONY so please put me out of my misery with all the pattie info and pictures i need to get me through 😅🥰
Oh that baby is so precious!!!! I can't wait to watch your journey together:)

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
Oh my gosh, SO PRECIOUS. I hope GaleriaGila gets to see it! Not too many Patagonians around here I think besides the RB!

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Yes, indeed. Check out my signature for a bunch of references.
The quickie version... the Rb is 38 this year. I got him in college and retired a few years ago, so you can see we have been through EVERYTHING together. You'll find various opinions on them. Fortunately, his vet is a world-class authority on parrots and loves Patagonians. They used to be wildly popular in the 70s-80s, especially in UK... not so much anymore. At one time he had 20-39 in his practice, now just a couple. Who knows why...
Here's my best overview. Before sexual maturity at about 3-4, they are DARLINGS! After that, the genders show themselves. Females stay pretty sweet, males get more raucous, louder, sexually aggressive, territorial, more talkative. All that can be optimized with strict upbringing. UNFORTUNATELY, I am a big pathetic softie who has reinforced everything awful, pretty much raising a monster. WHOM I LOVE ENDLESSLY!
Please feel free to look at my info, especially the tutorial, and ask me any questions you like, anytime, forever.
WELCOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rickeybird, got anything to say?

9lhIlM0.jpg

Last edited:

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Hi everyone,
Oh @Rkwh, that baby is just gorgeous. And you don't need Google now that you have our @GaleriaGila and her Scrapbook and Tutorial, you will never want for one skerrick of knowledge with brilliant resources like those at your disposal here. I am SO looking forward to your bringing that precious baby home, and to meeting the rest of your flock too - WELCOME!!

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
I had to have a good cry, honestly, before posting more. Back in 1984, before the 'net, before avian vets, wayyyyyyyyyyyyy back, I brought a little chick like that home. I will never forget when his horn-colored beak started to turn dark grey. I thought it was dying off! The pet store guy was no help.
How that baby grew up and lived to this day, well, I don't know. Love and luck, I guess?
What a precious little parrot.
Thank you for sharing.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Your baby bird is awfully cute!

I have always heard that patty’s are sweethearts. I wonder if they live in the same locales as the cliff dwelling Quaker parakeet?

I would learn to check under any comforters or pillows before sitting down.

Most Reactions

Latest posts