Patio aviary

Transylvania

Feb 7, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
0.1 Senegal parrot "Ripley"
I'm moving to a 1st-floor apartment that's got a really big patio, and I would love to convert it into a little aviary for my future parrot. I live in San Antonio, so it gets really hot, but luckily my patio faces south, so there will be no direct sunlight. I think this would be a really cool option to have. For example, say I plan on having a get-together with some friends one night to watch a movie. Well, the bird will need some uninterrupted sleep, so all I'd do is move it outside before sundown, close the blinds, and voila! It would also be very enriching for the bird to get to see and hear the wild birds and the neighbors walking their dogs.

So what I'd do is have a rolling cage to easily move the bird inside and outside, and when I'm there to supervise, I'll allow the bird free roam of the patio.

Things I'll need:

• Thin-mesh wire screen (steel?)
  • 1 (or 2?) electric fans
  • Bird bath (how deep? fountain with running water?)
  • Bowl of ice as enrichment when it's hot
  • Watering hose to connect to kitchen sink for easy cleanup
Do I have all my bases covered? Anything I haven't taken into account? Is a patio/balcony aviary a common practice among parrot owners?

Last edited:

Pheonix

Apr 24, 2016
Bangkok, Thailand
Parrots
None yet :)
This is a great thread as I am in the exact thinking as you. I am also in the process of researching a balcony aviary. Are you going to make it yourself? Please keep putting info and what you are doing on here please. So excited to see how yours turns out. May I put pictures on your thread of ideas I have seen and liked?

Pheonix

Apr 24, 2016
Bangkok, Thailand
Parrots
None yet :)
Where were you thinking of putting the fans? Im in Thailand so its hot here but was banking on the water feature being there for cooling off. What kind of design you going for? I drew an idea and was pondering where to put doors for easy access. Im thinking that the difficult thing would be getting to parts of the cage because my balcony isnt big enough for a walk in aviary. I am a bit worried that my parrot might climb up the cage and over the back where I cant reach them.

Piasa

Jan 12, 2016
USA Nomad
Parrots
Beau 20 year old male Green Cheek || Jimmy Bullet 17 year old female white cap pionus parrot
Sounds like a great project! I want to make one too someday :)

Look for stainless steel mesh, aluminum might also be okay. Galvanized steel can cause metal poisoning if they chew it. Wash the mesh with white vinegar before the birds use it for the first time - this also gets rid of metal and other particles from manufacture.

If you do a fountain, make sure the hose and connections are for drinking water.

You can also put in some edible or birdsafe potted trees/plants - use unfertilized organic soil in case the birds get in it.

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Big Bird _ Blue & Gold Macaw
Sounds like a great project! I want to make one too someday :)

Look for stainless steel mesh, aluminum might also be okay. Galvanized steel can cause metal poisoning if they chew it. Wash the mesh with white vinegar before the birds use it for the first time - this also gets rid of metal and other particles from manufacture.

If you do a fountain, make sure the hose and connections are for drinking water.

You can also put in some edible or birdsafe potted trees/plants - use unfertilized organic soil in case the birds get in it.

Great Idea. I am actually looking into that for Inside. Caution with the Edible if you get a Macaw. I bought a Spider Plant knowing it was safe for him. Hung it near his cage. It last all of 10 minutes. Looked like a hedge clipper had been thru it :(

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Caution on home made aviaries, someone just posted that a critter had broken into their home made aviary and their birds all escaped. If you have raccoons, foxes , weasels , stoats or other predators in your area, I would seriously question a home made aviary.
Me, I got all of the above except stoats, and I would not trust anything but bars. Not mesh anything.

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Big Bird _ Blue & Gold Macaw
Caution on home made aviaries, someone just posted that a critter had broken into their home made aviary and their birds all escaped. If you have raccoons, foxes , weasels , stoats or other predators in your area, I would seriously question a home made aviary.
Me, I got all of the above except stoats, and I would not trust anything but bars. Not mesh anything.

Very good Point ! I found a Possum on the deck a few weeks back. I had put some of BB's Scraps out there for the birds .

OP
Transylvania

Transylvania

Feb 7, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
0.1 Senegal parrot "Ripley"
Unfortunately, I had to nix the idea anyway. Apartment complex doesn't allow patio screens.

Brittany741

Feb 9, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Parrots
SI Eclectus (Ruby) - 11 / Eclectus (Wrangler) - 7 / Eclectus (Pinto) - 6 /
Red Sided Eclectus (Oliver) - 4 mos. /
White Bellied Caique (Dan) - 2 /
Foster Congo African Grey (Molly) - 6
Bummer 😟

Even a cage to roll in and out would be a great option and you could roll it into your bedroom if you have people over late.

We have a screened in porch and we are going to be replacing the screen with stainless mesh and then installing a grate over it. This will prevent varmints from coming in and the screen will protect against insects. It also gets hot here in Atlanta but it's way more humid. We have a ceiling fan already on the porch but it's a safety issue so we may replace it with the retro caged kind with two sides.

Dec 23, 2013
Ivans outdoor Avairy

Attachments

• DSCF0003.jpg
    DSCF0003.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 2,212
  • DSCF0005.jpg
    DSCF0005.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 1,161

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
That is sooo cool, and look well constructed too. LOL, make me one, knock it down and ship it how much?

Most Reactions