"Peeling" Pin Feathers

ctwo

May 16, 2019
Parrots
Mango the Indian Ringneck and Peach the Cockatiel; Kiwi found a new home
M Mango is having an amazing molt this year. He is more demanding of pets, but it's almost like petting a cactus. (see early balding here: http://www.parrotforums.com/indian-ringnecks/90296-bald-spot.html)

A coworker said that she plucks her love bird's pin feathers - really she meant pulls off the feather casing/sheath. Is that a thing to do? My guy is usually good until you rub him wrong, and then you'll get bit.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Opening keratin feather sheaths is a privilege granted exclusively by Mango! Some parrots skittish, others enjoy free grooming session. You'll quickly find the answer, but ensure feather is completely developed with no visible blood from base outwards. I gently rub thumbnail using index finger as brace for feather.

OP
ctwo

ctwo

May 16, 2019
Parrots
Mango the Indian Ringneck and Peach the Cockatiel; Kiwi found a new home
Yeah, it's not happening. Bites aren't really bites; he'll snap his open beak on me though.

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
I gently rub thumbnail using index finger as brace for feather.

This is EXactly how I help my Sunny with her pins.

I was just noticing today, sometimes if she hasn't gotten my help soon enough with a pin that's out of her own reach, sometimes a keratin sheath can kinda slide off all-in-one-piece. I assume that must be what your coworker meant. But usually my Sunny asks for assistance Way Before that point, and if I tried to Pull on one --- oooh my, i cannot even describe how she would react! I am sure the birdie-bad-language would hafta be censored! Or the human bad language thereafter!

Most Reactions

Latest posts