Pellet brands?

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Zupreem isn't that good. The natural might be ok but the Fruitblend or any of their other flavors is NOT, and there are much better brands.
I personally feed mainly Harrison's, sometimes with a bit of Roudybush or Lafeber's. Top's is also good but birds are less likely to eat it, IMO.

OP
Mashed_Potato2021
Nov 21, 2021
Parrots
Peach faced Lovebird
Zupreem isn't that good. The natural might be ok but the Fruitblend or any of their other flavors is NOT, and there are much better brands.
I personally feed mainly Harrison's, sometimes with a bit of Roudybush or Lafeber's. Top's is also good but birds are less likely to eat it, IMO.
Thank you for telling me!

Birdgirl24

Dec 2, 2021
North Dakota
Parrots
I have 1 budgie, He is a male both. I have been looking into getting an Eclectus Parrot tho.
My budgie loves Harrison's and there's no sugar just veggies I personally feed him super fine but you have a lovebird so you could probably do the next size up in pellets

Inko-ai

Oct 11, 2021
Media
Albums
Parrots
Budgies - Sprite & Marshmallow
I feed my budgies Harrison's too. It's very healthy, and my budgies really like it.

Birdgirl24

Dec 2, 2021
North Dakota
Parrots
I have 1 budgie, He is a male both. I have been looking into getting an Eclectus Parrot tho.
But Harrison's smells terribly like veggies yuck but if Julius likes it and its healthy then i guess he can eat it.

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Lilla (senegal parrot)
But Harrison's smells terribly like veggies yuck but if Julius likes it and its healthy then i guess he can eat it.
I mean-does that really matter?
IMO birds and bird stuff smell amazing. All of it.

Inko-ai

Oct 11, 2021
Media
Albums
Parrots
Budgies - Sprite & Marshmallow
I don't think it smells that bad. It doesn't really have a strong smell at all.

Birdgirl24

Dec 2, 2021
North Dakota
Parrots
veggies smell gross I don't like em but its good for the budgies so they can it it.

Birdgirl24

Dec 2, 2021
North Dakota
Parrots
idk inko when I open a fresh bag of Harrison's i can smell it.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
difference of opinions I guess. The breeder I got BB the tiel from 6yrs ago raised him on Zupreem Fruity Blend, BB loves it but also gets Bird Street Bistro all natural/organic food. He'll only eat veggies/fruit bites from my plate.
Amy gets Roudybush maintainence pellets plus bistro and fresh veggies/fruit.

Jim

vljenewein

Dec 1, 2021
Fennville, MI
Parrots
Rocky & Adrian - Budgerigars
I got free sample (2) form Lafeber which is a well known and pretty decent pellet company. I tried it along with Roudybush Nibbles for our 2 new Budgerigars. They began eating the Roudybush and I could see the amount being eaten increase every day (weighing with milligram scale) but the Lafeber was always the same weight.
Even thought I take out the Roudybush feed at cage covering, weight and adjust the weight up, I leave the Lafeber in there all the time. Still has not gone down, even thought they do not get their regular feed until breakfast.

Roudybush seems like a decent enough feed, but the one thing I did find a bit odd was the inclusion of Ammonium Hydroxide, but it is near the bottom of the ingredient list. I am curious as to why even bother adding ammonia to a bird food?? I know from my chemistry that Ammonium hydroxide is considered a high pH substance, such as lye (Sodium Hydroxide) and perhaps they added it to counteract the Tartaric acid and Acetic acid that was also on the ingredient list.
Birds seem to enjoy eating it, and the "nibles" might work for Lovebirds, or use the next size up in size of granules. A plus is it is not that expensive.

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Lilla (senegal parrot)
To add on to what vljenewein said, what size you feed all depends on your bird as long as it's not too big. I have a senegal and while she'll eat the Harrison's Fine size (small-medium birds like conures and sennies) she has a preference for the smaller Super Fine size.

Most Reactions

Latest posts