Pellet Conversion Advice/Experiences?

BirdieDad

Feb 2, 2020
Many folks recommend Tops or Harrison's among others. Parrots can be extremely fussy, so the "best" pellet is the one your bird accepts. I'm a fan of Harrison's conversion techniques, should work regardless of brand: https://www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com/using-our-foods/large-bird-conversion/

In your opinion, how long does it take to convert your bird using the Harrison method? I have a Scarlet Macaw that still loves seeds and wondering if she will be grouchy or more of a handful during the conversion period. Thank you

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Re: B&G macaw pellets advice

Many folks recommend Tops or Harrison's among others. Parrots can be extremely fussy, so the "best" pellet is the one your bird accepts. I'm a fan of Harrison's conversion techniques, should work regardless of brand: https://www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com/using-our-foods/large-bird-conversion/

In your opinion, how long does it take to convert your bird using the Harrison method? I have a Scarlet Macaw that still loves seeds and wondering if she will be grouchy or more of a handful during the conversion period. Thank you

Overall took two weeks with a flock of 8 consisting of Goffins, a Citron, Amazon, and Grey. Went smoothly with no serious efforts at starvation, no behavioral problems. Keep in mind they also receive fresh veggies/fruits 4 to 5 days per week.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The term 'seed diet' has a vast number of meanings depending on whether one is feeding only peanuts and/or sunflower seed all the way to a healthy and wide cross-section of quality seeds, nuts, grains that are common in the natural range of your Parrot.

The greatest concern is that the Parrot does not out and out stop eating!
Follow the recommendation that Scott provided and all should go well.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts