Pellets for budgies?

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Hi! I am really struggling here because there are not a lot of great pellets for budgies out there.

(I DO NOT HAVE A BUDGIE AT THE MOMENT, BUT I MAY BE GETTING ONE IN 28 DAYS)

So yeah, as mentioned above, I am struggling here. I will use ZuPreem to transition the budgie from seeds (if it does not have pellets in its diet) to pellets a month after getting it just so it has time to settle and become somewhat or mostly tame. Once it is off of zupreem, I will get it on different pellets and cannot figure out what brand to use and whatā€™d be best. Harrisonā€™s is too pricey for its weight so we will not use Harrisonā€™s.

Pellets Iā€™m thinking about:

Kaytee NutriSoft (not the highest on my list but it is something Iā€™m looking into)

Roudybush Crumbles (this one Iā€™m considering most)

Lafeberā€™s Budgie Pellets (this one I am not sure about because people are saying itā€™s either too hard or too big for their budgies)

Psittacus Microspheres (doesnā€™t taste all that good but would be small enough for a budgie)

No clue what to choose here but Iā€™m thinking roudybush tbh. Any input?

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Out of those 4 I would choose Lafebers probably. I use their nutriberries and senior nutriberries for my birds as a snack and they all love them.
I think as far as ingredients and quality goes Lafebers would be best.

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
A year or so ago, they changed the Roudybush recipe (I think they added alfalfa or something)? And then the appearance of the pellets changed a LOT, and my budgies suddenly would not touch it. They loved it before. I did keep trying to see if they'd still eat it, but no luck. Although I believe Roudybush is still just as good for the birds' health.

I agree with Zero that Lafebers might be your best bet. (I also love the Lafebers packaging)

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I have 6 budgies and the roudybush crumbles are popular, as are any "seed and pellet medley" and then millet, cauliflower and broccoli (they will munch down and those as a treat or staple). I just offer variety...I just mix them up usually as each bird probably has a favorite.

I would add this though as a sprinkle on top

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Hi! I am really struggling here because there are not a lot of great pellets for budgies out there.

(I DO NOT HAVE A BUDGIE AT THE MOMENT, BUT I MAY BE GETTING ONE IN 28 DAYS)

So yeah, as mentioned above, I am struggling here. I will use ZuPreem to transition the budgie from seeds (if it does not have pellets in its diet) to pellets a month after getting it just so it has time to settle and become somewhat or mostly tame. Once it is off of zupreem, I will get it on different pellets and cannot figure out what brand to use and whatā€™d be best. Harrisonā€™s is too pricey for its weight so we will not use Harrisonā€™s.

Pellets Iā€™m thinking about:

Kaytee NutriSoft (not the highest on my list but it is something Iā€™m looking into)

Roudybush Crumbles (this one Iā€™m considering most)

Lafeberā€™s Budgie Pellets (this one I am not sure about because people are saying itā€™s either too hard or too big for their budgies)

Psittacus Microspheres (doesnā€™t taste all that good but would be small enough for a budgie)

No clue what to choose here but Iā€™m thinking roudybush tbh. Any input?
I bought Kaytee Nutrisoft for budgies and cockatiels for Rocky in hopes she'd like them but they are way too large for a budgie and nowhere near as soft as I thought they'd be. I gave them to a friend with a GCC and stuck to the Harrison's granules because of their tiny size.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
I bought Kaytee Nutrisoft for budgies and cockatiels for Rocky in hopes she'd like them but they are way too large for a budgie and nowhere near as soft as I thought they'd be. I gave them to a friend with a GCC and stuck to the Harrison's granules because of their tiny size.
Well, that saves us some money! Thank you so much for that! Iā€™d rather be aware and stay away than find out the hard way. So sorry you spent 20+$ on pellets your bird couldnā€™t eat, because I understand how awful and annoying that feels.

Most Reactions

Latest posts