perch safe wood?

rioandmango!

Apr 16, 2022
Parrots
two budgies
hello, my neighbor has a pear tree (many tree identifier apps have told me that it is a pear tree, or callery pear) he allows me to take branches and im wondering if i can make it a play ground or perch for my two parakeets!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Yes! A pear tree is nontoxic. I think fruit trees are in general not toxic for parrots.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I have long stayed clear of Fruit Tree Wood as the majority have been sprayed several times each year to safeguard their fruit from bugs. I have never had them tested, so its more just a cause that cleaning should to be aggressive.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I wash the dirt off, soak in a mild bleach solution, soak and rinse in water, and let dry. Then I bake in the oven at 225 F if the branch fits until it’s really dry.

Probably you wouldn’t need to bake the branch if it’s cleaned thoroughly, or you could wash in soap and water and then bake and not bleach…. Depends what you are able to do. But the important thing is to remove dirt which could include other bird poop and germs. Baking kills the bugs and makes the wood dry fast, that’s why I do it.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
hello! thanks, also how do i sterilize the wood?

Wood burns at temperatures require for sterilization.

After removing the bark, the combination of a Hot wash using Dawn Original and a scrub brush with fresh drinking water to remove the wash water is completed by allowing it to fully dry in Bright Sun light turning often.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I know this has been answered but I want to make sure I'm getting this right - fruit tree wood is safe for parrots to chew if it's not sprayed with pesticides? I keep finding lists of "not safe" fruit trees without further explanation. I have trees in my yard that would make fantastic perches if so, and a living room wall that would like to become a parrot jungle gym, haha.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I think this is true. And I found a list at parrot junction confirming that fruit wood is safe for birds.

Most Reactions

Latest posts