"Perch" then "step up"?

Transylvania

Feb 7, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
0.1 Senegal parrot "Ripley"
While observing avian zookeepers when they're getting birds out of their cages, I've noticed that they'll tell the bird to "perch" (so the bird calmly stands on a perch right next to the door) before they open the door and have it "step up" on their hand. Is this a common training technique among aviculture hobbyists as well? Every training guide I've come across online skips the "perch" step. Do you think it's unnecessary?

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Big Bird _ Blue & Gold Macaw
I actually use a perch on the cage door for taking BB out and putting him back in the cage. I started doing it because well I was a coward to stick my arm in the cage with that BIG beak lol. I never used the term perch. I would actually say here and tap the perch with my finger. Nights when i need him to go in early this is the easiest way. He knows the end result will be a treat and that is the only thing I do use a special treat for.

Maybe not be necessary but it sure makes life easier at times.

Oh and Once or twice I made the WEE sound when closing door with him on that perch. That is a given now. When door swings i hear WEEE from him lol

OP
Transylvania

Transylvania

Feb 7, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
0.1 Senegal parrot "Ripley"
Omg that's adorable haha. I'm just trying to figure out how many commands I would need, because for example I would want the bird to be able to:

• "Step up" when removing it from cage (+ maybe "perch" beforehand, to a specific perch within the hab?)
  • "Perch" by flying to a designated pooping perch (or instead, perhaps, "go potty" as a specific command to go to and poop at that perch?)
  • "Perch" to ANY perch you point to
  • "Go to your cage" to get it to go back in its cage on its own (or is "perch" good enough for that purpose?)
It would be nice to teach "perch" as a general command associated with a pointed finger so you could get the bird to climb or fly to basically any perch in a room. I'm just trying to figure out how best to simplify all this, because if it's confusing for me then it'd probably be confusing for the birb lol.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts