Pet store bag of in shell peanuts vs grocery store? Can Macaws and Cockatoos eat them?

mdjmsmith2

Dec 14, 2021
Hello, I have a cockatoo and a Macawโ€ฆ we got Peanut in shell treats from PetSmart. My birds love them.. question: why canโ€™t I just get them from my local grocery store? They are more expensive at the pet store, but is there a reason to get them there and pay the higher cost??

I appreciate all adviceโ€ฆ

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Hello, I have a cockatoo and a Macawโ€ฆ we got Peanut in shell treats from PetSmart. My birds love them.. question: why canโ€™t I just get them from my local grocery store? They are more expensive at the pet store, but is there a reason to get them there and pay the higher cost??

I appreciate all adviceโ€ฆ
I don't reccomend getting peanuts with shell still on, especially animal grade. There are too many risks, such as fungal/mould growth. Animal grade peanuts aren't good.

Human grade ones, as you said, are expensive. Why? It is because they are kept in better conditions and only the best is chosen for human consumption. Which means it's a lot better for your bird than animal grade peanuts.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month ๐Ÿ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Peanuts in general are not great for parrots. Aside from harboring mold inside the shells ( yes even human grade ones), peanuts are high in fats. And like us, fatty foods can become a problem if given in large, constant quantities. Parrots can be almost addicted to them. If you must, I would use shelled peanuts, broken into halves or quarters, and use them for treats and training.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Peanuts in general are not great for parrots. Aside from harboring mold inside the shells ( yes even human grade ones), peanuts are high in fats. And like us, fatty foods can become a problem if given in large, constant quantities. Parrots can be almost addicted to them. If you must, I would use shelled peanuts, broken into halves or quarters, and use them for treats and training.
Peanuts should only be treats IMO. Other nuts are fine as a small part of their diet, but not peanuts.(They aren't even a nut.. they're a legume.)

OP
M

mdjmsmith2

Dec 14, 2021
Thank you all for your repliesโ€ฆ I use Zupreem seed mixture and noticed that whole shell peanuts were included. Then I noticed you could get a bag of them at the pet store but also noticed the price tag! Hence the questionโ€ฆ I have decided to use them for treats only outside of their seed mixture. Yes itโ€™s extra fat but itโ€™s also very messy! It was an easy decision, so thank you for reaching out to help me.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
Thank you all for your repliesโ€ฆ I use Zupreem seed mixture and noticed that whole shell peanuts were included. Then I noticed you could get a bag of them at the pet store but also noticed the price tag! Hence the questionโ€ฆ I have decided to use them for treats only outside of their seed mixture. Yes itโ€™s extra fat but itโ€™s also very messy! It was an easy decision, so thank you for reaching out to help me.
They should have chop too, not just seed.

Most Reactions