pet store employee attempting to socialize shy cockatiels :(

velvie

Jul 16, 2022
Parrots
I do not personally own parrots, but interact frequently with them as a pet store employee :)
hi, everyone! i've been working at a pet store chain for about 8 months now and I LOVE bonding with our birds. it's terribly sad to see them go but the delight that comes with seeing new owners buying a nice big cage, plenty of toys, yummy treats, and donning an enthusiastic attitude is priceless. two of our three conures still scare a little easy (one more than the other) but the cockatiels are completely and totally unapproachable! we have three of them, with two housed in one enclosure and another has an enclosure to himself. :( whenever I open up the enclosure door, however gentle and quiet, they flock to the other side and climb to the top corner. we have had them for a few weeks now and despite attempts to make peace with them (leaving a few blueberries as a treat for example) and speaking softly they have hardly made any progress. i try to spend a little extra time with the door open even if I'm not making any active attempts to interact; i hope leaving the door ajar and standing back quietly may offer them an opportunity to come investigate. they are not very patient when it comes to being weighed and i only know this from word of mouth; I've never personally had to capture them. it kills me to see them afraid of people the way they are but i wonder too if that's just their nature before being adopted into a more permanent setting. how can i help warm them up to human interaction? is talking/singing to them effective? any and all advice is welcome! I'm very very new to cockatiels and birds as a whole, with my pet store experience being my only experience. ^^ thank you!!! <3

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Thank you for trying to help these guys!

Have you read this thread?

OP
V

velvie

Jul 16, 2022
Parrots
I do not personally own parrots, but interact frequently with them as a pet store employee :)
Thank you for trying to help these guys!

Have you read this thread?
hi! :) yes, i just finished up reading this wonderful thread!! i will absolutely keep this information in mind going forward! i think i need to be more patient and really zone in on their body language more. sometimes i think i expect too much progress from a handful of interactions but patience is so key ^^; thanks again for responding! <333

Most Reactions

Latest posts