Petey the cockatiel & Joey the conure.

nursouth

Mar 31, 2019
Alabama
Parrots
Cherryhead Conure and a Cockatiel.
Hi, I posted for the first time here a few weeks ago. I appreciate everyone's help with Joey my Cherryhead Conure, she was screaming, not social, she had lost interest in everything. NOW, Joey is back to herself. She plays, she will come to me again, she's talking again, she's Joey!
Petey the Cockatiel, we brought little Petey to live with us when my husbands mother died last summer. Petey was never given much attention, I would say no love. I know he was screamed at a lot by my mother in law and brother in law. They didn't want Petey to sing or even to jibber jabber. He was never worked with, he doesn't talk, bless his heart, he didn't look good when we got him. I'm guessing Petey is about 12-14 years old. He eats really good, he loves his food here. He has started playing most of the time now, he wouldn't play with toys when we got him. He had never had toys. I've helped him to like his baths now and he seems to love it. He sings now. He is so handsome, sweet, we love him so much! I hope we can hold Petey soon. How could all of you advise me on this one. Getting him to come out of his cage and let us touch him? Since he's this old and has never known this. Thank you all.

Attachments

• 20190426_160235.jpg
    20190426_160235.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 137

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
So glad to hear about your progress with Joey! Also, it sounds like you’ve made tremendous progress with Petey as well - you were just starting from a different point with him. I don’t know if you’ve read the thread on bonding and building trust? If not, it’s a good place to start with Petey. http://www.parrotforums.com/general-parrot-information/49144-tips-bonding-building-trust.html He’s older, but that doesn’t mean he’ll never let you touch him - but I would recommend just taking your time and moving at his comfort level. He may also be a bird that likes your company but prefers not to be handled. It sounds like he has a great life with you - and that you’ll love him no matter his preference is :).

OP
nursouth

nursouth

Mar 31, 2019
Alabama
Parrots
Hi, thank you for your post. I read the Tips for bonding//trust and it was very helpful. I need to get a clicker!

Casper223

Apr 27, 2019
Gulf Coast, Louisiana/Mississippi State Line S/E
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo "Zoey"
Good Afternoon Nursouth, It certainly reads like you've made tremendous progress with Joey, and she's starting to bloom again which is a good sign she's loved. Yet the bigger challenge lays ahead."Petey" after being basically abused for 12-14 years might be flowering in his eating habits and day to day activity. The other shoe drops when you consider how long it will take to reverse the damage if it can be reversed. Sounds like your on the right track, I would keep my expectations low, and savor in every trend of foreword progress Petey makes. These babies can sense love, and as long as Petey is shown love and attention, then Petey may surprise us all by a complete turnaround. Cockatiels are just so gentle, cute and a joy to have, and if treated right like every other bird will return the love by double. I wish you the best of luck with Petey, Love goes a long way!

OP
nursouth

nursouth

Mar 31, 2019
Alabama
Parrots
Thank you so much for your kind words and encouragement. We love to watch Petey play with his toys and listen to him sing little songs from his heart. Petey and Joey are both sweeties, my babies.:yellow1::green1::01:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Beautiful bird, since you mentioned getting a clicker: http://www.parrotforums.com/training/60435-clicker-target-training.html

If I may respectfully make a small suggestion; many of us remove the "clapper" from bells. While it makes a nice sound, many birds will pick at it, detach, and swallow small bits. Depending on brand and origin, might contain harmful heavy metals, ie lead, cadmium, etc. If you monitor and see he pays little attention, should be OK with your judgement.

OP
nursouth

nursouth

Mar 31, 2019
Alabama
Parrots
Thank you for that advice. I will check the clappers on his toys, remove them if needed and just watch my little chicken.:)

Most Reactions

Latest posts