widor

Aug 23, 2021
Media
Hungary
Parrots
2 Green Check Conures,2 linolated parakeets- RIP, 2 kakariki
Hello All,

I would like to hear other bird lovers opinion-
I am from middle Europe and thinking to rescue some of the birds from local bird shop. I know it is not the best solution as might encourage the shop to get even more bird to sell- but it is so much hurt to see these lovely ones kept in a small cage, one perch and nothing to do all day . Not sure if I have a word with the shop anything will change but will try for sure. Currently there are a karakiri and a Neophema (sorry do not know the right English name for it),some ring necks and of course at least 5-6 budgies. The ringnecks have quite a decent cage , so that is not a big issue there- but they are there since January-all 5 of them...on a poor sunflower diet with not healthy looking feathers.

So I will try and speak to the shop keeper to sell me at least the karakiri and a Neophema -than try to find a good home for them. I can only keep them temporaly so need to contact the local guys to help me.

Thoughts?

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I think thatā€™s very kind of you, but you will be putting yourself in a tough position.

Do you know if thereā€™s a governmental agency to which you can report the pet store?

@Rozalka

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
I think thatā€™s very kind of you, but you will be putting yourself in a tough position.

Do you know if thereā€™s a governmental agency to which you can report the pet store?

@Rozalka
I'm not sure why I'm tagged, I can't really help, I'm sorry. I can just say that "Neophema" is English is "grass parrot" or sometimes "grasskeet"

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Iā€™m sorry. I was guessing this person may be from Poland or somewhere close and thought you would know if thereā€™s an agency to report the store to. Or if that was likely to help.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
@Skarila had a similar situation once, and she's also from Hungary so maybe she'll know who you can report it to.

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
Iā€™m sorry. I was guessing this person may be from Poland or somewhere close and thought you would know if thereā€™s an agency to report the store to. Or if that was likely to help.
No, the OP is from Hungary.

Btw I just reminded that in the past we were PMing about petshops in our countries (Hungary and Poland), so I reread the conversation and the situation looks very similar... it's very sad but a single person can't really help because birds in bad conditions in petshops are treated as normal by non-bird people.

I don't know how it looks like in Hungary, here for few years we have a project(? not sure how to call it) which "takes care" of bad bird places.... but honestly I don't remind them working against petshops... I've seen how this project's creator is against them but I haven't seen any posts on the project site.
Maybe sadly such conditions are too common and most of birds bought there are kept in similar conditions, so no-bird people don't see the problem (I mean - maybe making this as a problem is very hard because it's normal).

If you buy the birds, then the pet shop will bring other birds etc. So I don't think it is a good idea... You can search if there is any project/organization in your country which is aware of how the right conditions should look like, I don't see any other solution... The only thing I do to not support petshops is just not visiting them at all, I buy everything from the trusted websites. Sadly we can't help all the birbs.

OP
widor

widor

Aug 23, 2021
Media
Hungary
Parrots
2 Green Check Conures,2 linolated parakeets- RIP, 2 kakariki
No, the OP is from Hungary.

Btw I just reminded that in the past we were PMing about petshops in our countries (Hungary and Poland), so I reread the conversation and the situation looks very similar... it's very sad but a single person can't really help because birds in bad conditions in petshops are treated as normal by non-bird people.

I don't know how it looks like in Hungary, here for few years we have a project(? not sure how to call it) which "takes care" of bad bird places.... but honestly I don't remind them working against petshops... I've seen how this project's creator is against them but I haven't seen any posts on the project site.
Maybe sadly such conditions are too common and most of birds bought there are kept in similar conditions, so no-bird people don't see the problem (I mean - maybe making this as a problem is very hard because it's normal).

If you buy the birds, then the pet shop will bring other birds etc. So I don't think it is a good idea... You can search if there is any project/organization in your country which is aware of how the right conditions should look like, I don't see any other solution... The only thing I do to not support petshops is just not visiting them at all, I buy everything from the trusted websites. Sadly we can't help all the birbs.
Hi Rozalka, thanks for your support, actually I do not buy anything from per shop either just my kids want to have a look on the animals sometimes....which make us all sad. You are right , we can not save all birds but feel you just need to try your best to help.
Do not know how about in Poland but in Hungary dogs, cats seem to be on the focus on the animal welfare system but how about the others?
Sure we have foundation here for parrot also and they do want changes but it is hard to change -just a bird. They suggested to report the shop -I do not know- even if they take it seriously and investigate-seems the owner is well known and respected member in town..I mean he might just get away with a notice and that is it.
Hard to find the right decision.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Far out idea but, maybe buy a few toys and some good parrot food and give it to the shop owner, embarrass him enough to start taking care of his stock.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Its so hard......
I " rescued " bought a behavior challenged quaker from a pet store. Treated well good diet. But screaming non stop terrified of hands. They were going to return her ......I just could not help myself I knew she was in for a rough life with the screaming...
The owber said they would never carry quakers again...now 2 year later another one has been there fir months...

We can't save them all, and for sure everyone sold will be replaced with another.. but sometimes our hearts can't help but connect with one.

Parrots are difficult pets so only get one because you want to share your life with them

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I know when I go back to my tiny hometown I donā€™t like the way they keep their birds at all.

When I was a kid I didnā€™t know any better, but now I know you can keep pet birds with more toys, better food, bigger and cleaner environments. I wasnā€™t very nice to my birds when I first was an adult but then I learned how to care for them better. My parents would say ā€œthey are just animals.ā€

My hometown is a small village and most people are only a couple generations from living in central and Eastern Europe, too. It seems like the small towns are just more slow to learn how to treat animals better.

Most Reactions

Latest posts