May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
So, usually I will give Picasso cuddles before she goes to bed which she loves. I will kiss her on her back, roll her on her back, sometimes give scritches, while telling her what a good bird she is.

Tonight, however, she was enjoying cuddles as usual, but when I put her down on her playstand to go get her meds, she totally froze up. She flattened her feathers to her body, wouldn't step up or respond to kisses, my looking at her, anything. Just... frozen?

This continued for about 3 minutes, and she wouldn't step up the whole time. She only moved when I brought a dowel perch to her (to see if she'd step up onto it), but she still didn't step up, even with millet.

She only stepped up once I uncovered Stormy's cage, but has never had a problem with not seeing him before. She also didn't contact call or look in the direction of his cage the whole time she was frozen.

Why do you guys think she did that?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Salty does that all the time, in the middle of doing something. HE just stops and stares off at ...... who knows what. Maybe a minute or so. He just snaps out of it and continues with whatever.

OP
π•Ύπ–™π–”π–—π–’π–žπ•»π–Žπ–ˆπ–†
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Salty does that all the time, in the middle of doing something. HE just stops and stares off at ...... who knows what. Maybe a minute or so. He just snaps out of it and continues with whatever.
Hmm, interesting πŸ€”

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Just a possible idea.
Some animal’s can be more sensitive to what is around them.
There was a dog living in my father’s house that was able to see a ghost that was troubling us.
We normally could not see it but that dog would star into a corner and bark like mad.

My African Grey does the freeze often when looking out the bathroom window.

OP
π•Ύπ–™π–”π–—π–’π–žπ•»π–Žπ–ˆπ–†
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Just a possible idea.
Some animal’s can be more sensitive to what is around them.
There was a dog living in my father’s house that was able to see a ghost that was troubling us.
We normally could not see it but that dog would star into a corner and bark like mad.

My African Grey does the freeze often when looking out the bathroom window.
Yes, Picasso is a very sensitive budgie, and my windows sometimes have light mist on them that wont allow her to see all the way through.

Most Reactions