May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
My female budgie, Picasso, has lost 10 grams in the past 3 weeks. She is lethargic, sleepy, and has some trouble flying. Her urine is green, so I'm worried she has a liver issue, and we're seeing a vet ASAP. I'm keeping the heat at about 75 degrees F. Anything else I can do/anything you think she may have?

Some of you may also know that she was sick before but 'she got better'. She did not. My dad decided that he could tell if she was sick from popping his head in my room for 0.5 seconds, and refused to take her to the vet. I was ashamed of him, I guess, so I didn't tell anyone on here.

OP
π•Ύπ–™π–”π–—π–’π–žπ•»π–Žπ–ˆπ–†
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house

Read that will PM you

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Cossie was breathing heavily for a bit today. Hoping we can see vet tomorrow.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
Oh gosh, I'm sorry, Stormy.

You know, re feeling ashamed or similar: sometimes in different stages in our lives we do have to compromise because of people we live with or rely on in some way. Or circumstances change and we can't provide the way we used to. I admire that you can identify your feelings and your discomfort. Your attentiveness to your pets is excellent, and even that alone gives your pets a better chance at fighting illnesses than somebody with the ability to pop to the vet at a moment's notice who doesn't know their pets at all.

I hope you get good information at the vet and that all of you will feel better very soon.

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Oh gosh, I'm sorry, Stormy.

You know, re feeling ashamed or similar: sometimes in different stages in our lives we do have to compromise because of people we live with or rely on in some way. Or circumstances change and we can't provide the way we used to. I admire that you can identify your feelings and your discomfort. Your attentiveness to your pets is excellent, and even that alone gives your pets a better chance at fighting illnesses than somebody with the ability to pop to the vet at a moment's notice who doesn't know their pets at all.

I hope you get good information at the vet and that all of you will feel better very soon.
Aww, thank you! I honestly can't wait until I'm 15/16 and can drive and get a job! That will help so much! Just 2/3 more years to go.

And living with people with PTSD who can't express emotion well has made me realize how lucky I am to be able to do that without fear.

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Vet day today! I'm just imagining all the things that could go wrong 😬.

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
So sorry Stormy. I hope both of you recover soon ❀️❀️
And hope the vet visit goes well…

Last edited:
OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Ok, so I was unsure of when the appt was, so I emailed my dad and here's his answer (PS at the time he refused to bring Cossie to the vet he didn't have much extra money, and didn't want to use my mother's.):

Yes Ollie. It's at 5:00 today so I'll pick [younger sister's name] up earlier then pick you up, and we'll head up there.

The D (apparently he is now calling himself 'The D' lol)

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Hi StormyPica,

I hope Picasso gets some help today.

I’m sorry your parents aren’t being as helpful as they might. It’s not your fault. When I was a kid I had similar things happen (like my mom decided my cat could eat cheap dog kibble, which it wouldn’t). I felt guilty for years about my poor cat and then I realized that they were the adults and they were in the end responsible. But they just didn’t understand. My parents gave my cat away eventually and it (really did) went on to have a long happy life on my aunt’s farm.

I had pet birds when I was a kid because I could myself pay for the birdseed and toys and treats. We lived between two National forests and I was very lonely with no one to play with. That is how I got interested in birds. (I now have most of a phd in avian pathobiology but had a bad advisor so I did not finish my dissertation.)

All you can do is your best. As I understand, your birds have good care and diet. You can take care of your birds as well as you are able, and get them vet care as your parents allow. Your birds still have a much better life than pet birds in many places or pet birds in countries where people don’t get good health care much less animals.

My parakeets did not get vet treatment when I was a child or teenager. My parents thought that taking an animal to the vet was foolishness and a waste of money. We know better now, but if you’re under 18 you still have to obey your parents. I hope Picasso’s vet visit is very helpful. Make sure the vet knows you have other birds so everyone gets treated if that’s necessary.

*Willow sends a virtual smooch to you and Picasso*

Attachments

• DBEDA780-D004-4FB0-BD68-45C6FFA6D195.jpeg
    DBEDA780-D004-4FB0-BD68-45C6FFA6D195.jpeg
    156.7 KB · Views: 55
OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
So...
Bad news, Picasso may have pneumonia, and she has antibiotics to help. PS I blurred all needles for anyone who’s afraid of them.
ACE63284-8AA6-4177-B265-98A98AB3B5A0.jpeg
FC91501F-5DC9-4E1A-84CE-E427A2F72952.jpeg

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
I am sorry to hear that Picasso is indeed sick But I’m glad she’s got medication/ antibiotics and has been checked out.

Happy birthday Picasso, and get better!!
Cossie says thanks! She’s still kinda freaked out, but she ate millet and stepped up at the vets!

Most Reactions