Pin feathers falling apart??

trainmctrainface

Jun 11, 2020
Hello all, my rosella (5 years old) started what appeared to be a really heavy molt about 4-5 weeks ago. It seemed very unusual that he was losing so many feathers, so I sent pics to my vet. Because the situation didn't get any better, it actually got a lot worse (multiple bald patches over his belly and back), we visited the vet a few days ago, we did tests for viruses and next week we're doing thyroid check as well.

Meanwhile, I tried doing some research by myself, because when the vet tried to pull out a pin feather, the whole shaft just kind of fell apart. I've never seen anything like that, the pin feather just broke off really easily and kind of crumbled. Parts of it came out with almost no resistance at all.

So when I look for similar symptoms, I can't find anything that seems similar. I can see some new feathers coming in in his bald patches, but they don't seem to actually be growing and they're really brittle, same as what I described above. Does anyone have any idea what this could be?

We did tests for PBFD (still waiting for the results, but it seems very unlikely - I have him for 5 years, got him when he was only 4 months old, and he never showed any other symptoms), polyoma, herpes, etc.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Is the Vet an Avian Medical Professional, like a Certified Avian Vet (CAV)?

Pictures are very helpful as depending of the age of the developing feather, there is a point in which the feather covering simply flakes-off.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I'm sorry you and your baby are going through this. A prayer that it isn't the dreaded PBFD...its good you got the test.. I hope you get good news..

OP
T

trainmctrainface

Jun 11, 2020
Is the Vet an Avian Medical Professional, like a Certified Avian Vet (CAV)?

Pictures are very helpful as depending of the age of the developing feather, there is a point in which the feather covering simply flakes-off.

I'm from a Central European country where this classification (CAV) doesn't really exist - but it's an exotic vet, really good with birds, and the best option I have.

Honestly I've no idea how to attach a picture here, but in the bald patches, I see a few pinnies coming in, never developing beyond that first little barb - it just doesn't grow, and when vet tried pulling those little pins out, they just fell apart. It's like the whole thing is just really brittle.

It's now 3rd day since vet visit and first treatment, it appears there are more barbs coming through, I guess time will tell. I was just curious if anyone had that same experience with their bird.

EDIT: I just want to add that his head seems fine (no bald patches there), but he doesn't seem to be plucking, there is no stress marks on any of his fallen-out feathers. He is vocal as usual, sings a lot, eats normal, poops normal. The only behavioral change I noticed is that he preens a bit more than normal (I'm guessing he's itchy), wants more baths and is more aggresive towards his fave toy which he attacks a lot more. He doesn't want to be handled as much, but he never did inside cage and I never forced it, but he comes out more rarely and is fine with handling and asking for treats when he does come out.

Last edited:

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Hi hun sincerely hoping and prayers that it isn't PBFD too. If you have other birds then separating them will be sensible precaution. Have there been any stresses lately that could have set this off?

OP
T

trainmctrainface

Jun 11, 2020
Hi hun sincerely hoping and prayers that it isn't PBFD too. If you have other birds then separating them will be sensible precaution. Have there been any stresses lately that could have set this off?

It's not!! Got the results on friday, he's tested negative for all the viruses!

Well, yes, the main stress are his two new sisters I've adopted in june and july. He's been a single bird for the whole time before that. He gets along okay with my BHC, but there are certain issues with the IRN that came to us a month later. This IRN gal is the oldest of the flock, 10 years old (at first the previous owner told me she's younger, that's what the store told her), and before she came to us, she spent most of her time in a tiny cage (seriously, 50x40cm for an IRN???), with mostly seed diet and a horrible lack of flight skill and manners. She doesn't even know how to take food from hand and it took me almost 5 months to get there with her, that's how skittish and hand-scared she was. I mentioned her in a previous post about cage issues as well.

Well, IRN is quite possessive of her personal space, so she likes to lunge at my rosella boy and BHC if they get too close. BHC girl doesn't tolerate it, she'd attack back if she had the chance (and we did have an incident like that before), but my poor timid guy is not a fighter, he runs from her. But she really likes to hang out on his cage. During this, she doesn't actively attack him, but whenever they're so close together, I must be there as well because I will not risk anything happening.

So, to sum up, nothing too serious, but I can see how these two little ladies can be a big stress factor for the poor little guy, but it still doesn't explain the bad state of his follicles which seem unable to grow a feather. There has been no improvement since the first post, he actually lost a few more of his belly feathers. I've started supplementing his diet with a bit more protein, coconut oil and vitamin A, as per vet's advice.

The weird thing is, his head is completely okay. No bald patches and pinnies look completely normal. If this doesn't improve soon, I'll ask my vet to put a cone of shame on him during the next visit in a few days.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
That's good!!!!
A cone will hugely stress him, in my experience stress = illness. So to help please reduce his stress whatever you think the cause. I feel it could be dietary re his feathers (in light of nothing forthcoming from the vet) so please pull up some info and go through checking you meet all the dietary needs. FYI Karmen Budai has just released some good publications on Amazon.

Most Reactions

Latest posts