Pineapple conure passing

Rioluv

Dec 30, 2022
Parrots
Conures
Hello everyone!

Iā€™m new here and I just needed to rant. Iā€™m currently mourning the death of my conure Petunia. She passed away this afternoon unexpectedly. But I just canā€™t wrap my head around her death. This morning I woke up to two happy conures. They were all fine. Around 2ish my father comes home and wonders
to their cage to take them out to roam. And he find my baby laying on the floor lifeless. He starts sobbing intensely and I come running down from my room. Iā€™m currently a medical student and I started to do compressions on her and checking for a heartbeat. She had a faint heart beat and was still warm and breathing. Next thing you know Iā€™m driving to the only open pet hospital in town as the roads are closed due to weather conditions. They couldnā€™t do ANYTHING SINCE THEY ONLY WORK ON DOGS AND CATS. I just cried and cried in the lobby. As time went by she was chirping very quietly . And next thing you know she started to open her eyes and move her beak. I knew it wasnā€™t good but prayed maybe itā€™s a miracle sheā€™s coming back. But it was just a surge of energyā€¦ I felt like she was telling me it was going to be okay. As this surge lasted a couple of minutes she took her last breath in my hands. I felt like a failure to her. I couldnā€™t do anything. I couldnā€™t look at my other baby boy rio because Iā€™m just so hurt right now.

I have a couple of questions if yā€™all donā€™t mind answering.

Will my conure rio be effected deeply because of her death. They were bonded for a couple of months and what should I do?!

Should I be grieving this hardā€¦

Should I get another bird for rio?!

Please anything will help thank you

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Hello everyone!

Iā€™m new here and I just needed to rant. Iā€™m currently mourning the death of my conure Petunia. She passed away this afternoon unexpectedly. But I just canā€™t wrap my head around her death. This morning I woke up to two happy conures. They were all fine. Around 2ish my father comes home and wonders
to their cage to take them out to roam. And he find my baby laying on the floor lifeless. He starts sobbing intensely and I come running down from my room. Iā€™m currently a medical student and I started to do compressions on her and checking for a heartbeat. She had a faint heart beat and was still warm and breathing. Next thing you know Iā€™m driving to the only open pet hospital in town as the roads are closed due to weather conditions. They couldnā€™t do ANYTHING SINCE THEY ONLY WORK ON DOGS AND CATS. I just cried and cried in the lobby. As time went by she was chirping very quietly . And next thing you know she started to open her eyes and move her beak. I knew it wasnā€™t good but prayed maybe itā€™s a miracle sheā€™s coming back. But it was just a surge of energyā€¦ I felt like she was telling me it was going to be okay. As this surge lasted a couple of minutes she took her last breath in my hands. I felt like a failure to her. I couldnā€™t do anything. I couldnā€™t look at my other baby boy rio because Iā€™m just so hurt right now.

I have a couple of questions if yā€™all donā€™t mind answering.

Will my conure rio be effected deeply because of her death. They were bonded for a couple of months and what should I do?!

Should I be grieving this hardā€¦

Should I get another bird for rio?!

Please anything will help thank you
Oh @Rioluv, welcome to the Forums, but I am very sorry for the awful circumstances that brought you here. What you went through with Petunia is so difficult to bear because we love them so much, so yes, to answer your question, it's natural that you should be grieving her this hard. I'm glad you found us because this is a community who understands just how much this kind of loss hurts, goodness knows I do as I've had my heart broken a few times. But you most certainly did not fail her! On the contrary, you did everything you could to try to save her - sometimes all of our efforts are in vain because it simply is their time, as hard as that is for us to accept or understand. And I do think your intuition that Petunia was telling you in her final moments that it was ok is correct. The bond that you shared with her means that she was able to communicate these things to you, that she knew you had done all you could and that you loved her. She would not want you to blame yourself, she loved you too and was thanking you for everything you had done for her. Everyone here understands how deeply those unspoken bonds run.

Both you and Rio will miss Petunia enormously and will grieve for her and this is only natural - your emotions will be very raw for a while and the dynamic between you and Rio may be different as you process what happened and become accustomed to Petunia's absence. If you are meant to get another bird at some stage I believe it will happen when it is meant to. For some it happens within days or weeks, for others it takes quite a bit longer, but you will know in your heart when the time is right. Take time to mourn for Petunia though, it's evident through your writing how much you loved her and what a cherished little soul she was, and always will be, and I am deeply sorry for your loss.

Godspeed to the Rainbow Bridge, sweetest little Petunia, until we all meet again šŸ™šŸŒˆ

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
It is important to show Rio the body, so he will have closure too. Very sorry this happened to her. I think we all have had a dear parrot just ....... go. I know I have. It hurts like hell. At least you were there to the end, and were able to give comfort right to the last. Take time to heal before jumping on a new parrot.

OP
R

Rioluv

Dec 30, 2022
Parrots
Conures
It is important to show Rio the body, so he will have closure too. Very sorry this happened to her. I think we all have had a dear parrot just ....... go. I know I have. It hurts like hell. At least you were there to the end, and were able to give comfort right to the last. Take time to heal before jumping on a new parrot.
Thank you for writing back . Before we buried her last night I did show Rio her body but he just was scared of her. But he was for sure looking at her. I will be taking some time to just be with Rio and heal together. This community is beautiful. Thank you for the support

OP
R

Rioluv

Dec 30, 2022
Parrots
Conures
Oh @Rioluv, welcome to the Forums, but I am very sorry for the awful circumstances that brought you here. What you went through with Petunia is so difficult to bear because we love them so much, so yes, to answer your question, it's natural that you should be grieving her this hard. I'm glad you found us because this is a community who understands just how much this kind of loss hurts, goodness knows I do as I've had my heart broken a few times. But you most certainly did not fail her! On the contrary, you did everything you could to try to save her - sometimes all of our efforts are in vain because it simply is their time, as hard as that is for us to accept or understand. And I do think your intuition that Petunia was telling you in her final moments that it was ok is correct. The bond that you shared with her means that she was able to communicate these things to you, that she knew you had done all you could and that you loved her. She would not want you to blame yourself, she loved you too and was thanking you for everything you had done for her. Everyone here understands how deeply those unspoken bonds run.

Both you and Rio will miss Petunia enormously and will grieve for her and this is only natural - your emotions will be very raw for a while and the dynamic between you and Rio may be different as you process what happened and become accustomed to Petunia's absence. If you are meant to get another bird at some stage I believe it will happen when it is meant to. For some it happens within days or weeks, for others it takes quite a bit longer, but you will know in your heart when the time is right. Take time to mourn for Petunia though, it's evident through your writing how much you loved her and what a cherished little soul she was, and always will be, and I am deeply sorry for your loss.

Godspeed to the Rainbow Bridge, sweetest little Petunia, until we all meet again šŸ™šŸŒˆ
Thank you so much. You have no idea how much comfort I got. My family has been reaching out but I feel like they donā€™t understand what Iā€™m going through. These birds arnt just Pets to replace but they are more than that. Thabk you for the advic

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I'm so sorry for your loss of your beloved Petunia. It is so difficult when they pass so quickly. You went above and beyond in trying to save her, and I agree with LaManuka that she was letting you know that it was going to be okay...it was her last gift to you.

I had a bonded pair of conure friends, and when one passed, the other grieved for months. It's been 4 years and he still calls for him sometimes.
Both you and Rio should take as long as you need to grieve to before adding a new bird.
My conure who was left, Jax, became very close to me after Phoe's passing. It was like he knew that we were both hurting, and we shared that together.

I'm so glad you joined us, we do understand what a terrible pain losing them brings.
My heart hurts for you, and I'm sending prayers of comfort for you and Rio.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I am sorry for your loss.

My greencheek conure was very upset when my Quaker (Lucy) died. He quit coming out of his cage at all. So I would expect your remaining bird to be upset. I hope you are close enough that you can comfort each other.

Can you take Rio in for a checkup? If you have any concerns for his health I would do that.

Most Reactions

Latest posts