Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Hi, I hope some of you guys can give me some advice. I've been noticing Pippen's poop is bright green, and I'm not sure if it is diet related or because of an actual problem. She didn't have veg or fruit for the whole day or yesterday(guys, yesterday(and today) I was very busy. I went ice-skating with a friend(and fell a few times so I was in physical pain) and my family was very busy so only a few hours after coming back from ice-skating I was at a family member till 9pm) , so that possibility is crossed out. Diet-wise, she isn't on the best diet but I'm working on that(I need to buy some stuff, that's why), so it could be that, but on the other hand, bright green poop could mean liver/kidney issues. Do you think I should observe it for a while and wait for change, fix her diet and see if that helps, or just talk to my vet? Physically, I see nothing wrong with her. She is a bit more tired than usual but it's because she's been getting less sleep recently(only about 8-9 hours, a lot less than they need(but that's because I've started to go to bed later)). Other than that she's perfectly fine other than being a grumpy banana(most likely hormones lol plus she's molting). Any help will be appreciated.

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Don’t wait. Just talk to your vet. It’s better to be safe than sorry. After a vet visit you can see what you have to do from there.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
bright green poop in morning as first poop in common as they fast over night.

At other times can indicate a decrease in eating. Is there still same amount of fecal solids? Also seen with bacterial infection especially chlamydia. Next down is liver issues. And as mentioned can see with diet some.

Is the liquid ( urine) part of the poop bright green ?

Have you been weighing? For % body mass loss you take the number of grams lost abd divide by normal weight then x 100

Example: my GCC normal weight 74 grams. If she lost 5 grams

5÷74= 0.0675 x 100 = 6.7%
6.7% weight change is sick need vet . Anything over 3% as a decline over several days.

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
ok, I'll see what I can do. It seems better now but I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks a lot guys!

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Update: It's gone back to normal! Idk what just happened, I'll weigh her though

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Whoops, I can't weigh her.. Scale's broken! I need to order one for the birds and customize it with a perch.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
You can just use a cheap digital kitchen scale and set them on it. I'm all about keeping it simple. You can place on scale and hover hand sbove for quick weight.
20220125_112853.jpg

or you can zero out a sturdy dish with treats and let them sit on or in for a weight
20220125_113026.jpg

Or place a treat on scale then place bird on scale. I had planned to show examples so thanks for motivating me
20220125_113803.jpg
20220125_113804.jpg

Last edited:
OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
ok, thanks. My scale said pipp's 10gram but THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE(she feels a LOT heavier than that, and doesn't look starved at all)! Snowy weighs 40gram last time I weighed her, and pipp's a lot heavier than her. I'll ask my mom if we can go buy a scale soon. I think a perch would still be easier to weigh the budgies since they are not that tame(except for snowy)

Most Reactions

Latest posts