Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Hello everyone, I would like some advice, I won't be getting another bird for 5yrs.+ but I do want to decide what species to get when the time comes.
I've never owned a bird larger than a Quaker but I feel with my time researching and in that many yrs. I'll have more experience. I think I'd like to get a bird from a rescue center but more than likely I'll just end up seeing one on Craigslist or FaceBook that needs me šŸ˜… I've always loved Greys, but I know how sensitive (especially if they were raised poorly) they can be. I feel I can handle a cockatoo, I especially love the temperaments of Goffins, Bare-eyed, and Galahs. I'd also love to have a Pionus, I think the Bronze-winged are just gorgeous :love: But I have a problem with this plan, my Grandpa (not close to him or anything) has a Blue and gold macaw and an Orange wing amazon and oh, how their mistreated. They are both in waaaay too small of cages that are so dusty and dirty, drink from water bowls that look like they haven't been cleaned in ages, both eat only the F.m Browns parrot food and kaytee fortidiet both of which are dusty and moldy, the amazon only has two dowels and no toys, the macaw has a dowel and an ancient cement perch, and a wad of cotton string as a 'toy', both of their nails, the macaw especially, are so very long and they both look like they haven't had a bath in a decade. I'm not sure how long my grandpa has had them but I think it's over 10yrs. but before that other family members owned her (Rico) so I think she was likely from the wild. The thing is he expects me to take the macaw when I'm ready to. I don't think I can handle the macaw and I could never take the macaw and leave the poor amazon!I feel so conflicted, I mean technically they have food, water, heat, and shelter and he's my family, but he's pretty much an alcoholic and he doesn't listen to me, but I almost feel obligated to take the birds, but I know how much money it's going to cost to buy them new EVERYTHING and I would take them to vet which who knows how much that could be. As much as I want to take them one day, I also...don't, because of how hard I know it's going to be. Idk I just need some advice.
TIA :giggle:

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
I just want to chime in and say how great I think it is that you're planning ahead so open-mindedly and studiously. I'm glad you're with us!

Dozi

Apr 3, 2022
England
Parrots
Cockatiels:
- D'ion
- Bobbi
- Milo
- Chui
- Astro (Coming soon!)

Conures:
- Omei
I'd think most about what you want and expect from this bird. I usually like more interactive, but calm and cuddly pets. Some people prefer more energetic, playful pets. Some want the bird to be able to speak. Think about this in relation to the species- as well as any health issues you may have. Cockatiels are notoriously dusty, but other parrots are as well.

OP
zERo

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
I just want to chime in and say how great I think it is that you're planning ahead so open-mindedly and studiously. I'm glad you're with us!
Thank you! :giggle:

OP
zERo

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
I'd think most about what you want and expect from this bird. I usually like more interactive, but calm and cuddly pets. Some people prefer more energetic, playful pets. Some want the bird to be able to speak. Think about this in relation to the species- as well as any health issues you may have. Cockatiels are notoriously dusty, but other parrots are as well.
Sorry! Forgot to answer šŸ˜… As far as a birds personality, I like interactive as well, but I'd also like that if taught to forage and play alone they could do so happily. Talking isn't something I care about, I mean it's cool and all, but only one of my current birds, my QP, talks and when I was adopting him I didn't know that they were known for talking. Being cuddly isn't really important either, I do like if they want a head scritch because it's so cute! My GCC likes to cuddle on occasion and my QP likes a head scritch. Then I also love the relationship I have with my budgies which is completely hands off other than them stepping up to go back in their cage, they will pick at my clothes and glasses and stuff like that but they're happier with their flock than with me, which I'm okay with.

Henderbird

Apr 7, 2022
Canada
Parrots
Munchkin the Sun Conure!
Hello hello!
You definitely have the best intentions for the birds when it comes to this sort of situation and thatā€™s so admirable!
Seems like a tough position to be in though!
Even though you do have plenty of time to think this through, just remember that larger birds are really not easy (of course you know that) and require a lot of time from their humans (another thing you know!).
Where will you see yourself in 5 years? Do you plan to move out, go to college, etc?
Because thatā€™s another thing! With any parrot, especially the large sensitive guys, you would need to have a lot of time on your hands and have a lifestyle that fits their needs.
Doesnā€™t mean you have to work from home and be free as much as possible. Life happens!
But then again, I firmly believe in the ā€œwhere thereā€™s a will, thereā€™s a way!ā€ mentality. So consider your options carefully, and make sure to have a parrot who fits your lifestyle accordingly, whatever that lifestyle might be!
So answer? Depends because itā€™s an iffy situation!
If you truly believe (by that time) that you will be financially stable enough, and have a lifestyle in accordance to both birds needs, and the acquire the knowledge to deal with behaviors and possible issues with larger birds, then I say go for it! Preparedness is key.
However, if you feel that time comes and you donā€™t fit the criteria for owning a larger species just yet, I would maybe wait a little longer to continue forward!
And I read that you have birds of your own so the experience you have is a plus!
If all else fails, you can temporarily take in the birds when the time comes, and rehome the babies somewhere else! That is if you feel like you already have your hands full!
Because it just happens!

OP
zERo

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Hello hello!
You definitely have the best intentions for the birds when it comes to this sort of situation and thatā€™s so admirable!
Seems like a tough position to be in though!
Even though you do have plenty of time to think this through, just remember that larger birds are really not easy (of course you know that) and require a lot of time from their humans (another thing you know!).
Where will you see yourself in 5 years? Do you plan to move out, go to college, etc?
Because thatā€™s another thing! With any parrot, especially the large sensitive guys, you would need to have a lot of time on your hands and have a lifestyle that fits their needs.
Doesnā€™t mean you have to work from home and be free as much as possible. Life happens!
But then again, I firmly believe in the ā€œwhere thereā€™s a will, thereā€™s a way!ā€ mentality. So consider your options carefully, and make sure to have a parrot who fits your lifestyle accordingly, whatever that lifestyle might be!
So answer? Depends because itā€™s an iffy situation!
If you truly believe (by that time) that you will be financially stable enough, and have a lifestyle in accordance to both birds needs, and the acquire the knowledge to deal with behaviors and possible issues with larger birds, then I say go for it! Preparedness is key.
However, if you feel that time comes and you donā€™t fit the criteria for owning a larger species just yet, I would maybe wait a little longer to continue forward!
And I read that you have birds of your own so the experience you have is a plus!
If all else fails, you can temporarily take in the birds when the time comes, and rehome the babies somewhere else! That is if you feel like you already have your hands full!
Because it just happens!
Thanks for the reply :giggle: I won't be going to college, I'm graduated though, I plan to move out of my dads' house in probably 2-3yrs. but well see. Hopefully my income will be substantial enough, I'm pretty decided in what I want to do as a job. It will be from home mostly so that's a plus.

Most Reactions

Latest posts