Planning on buying a large Parrot. Which of these would be the best?

Which Parrot should I get?

• African Grey

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Blue Throated Macaw

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Yellow-Dormant Camelot Macaw

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Cape Parrot

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Ruby Macaw

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Double Yellow-Headed Amazon

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Praenuntius

Jul 11, 2015
Hello! I have been doing research for the past few months on various types of Parrots and I'm having trouble deciding which one I'd like to buy.

I originally wanted an Eclectus, but I ruled that out after finding other species that I liked more.

Then I considered an Amazon Parrot. I was the most interested in Double Yellow-Heads but I kinda went against that. With it being in the "Hot 3" and it's reported "unpredictable behaviors" I decided against it. Unless the behavior stated in the articles I read were a bit... exaggerated. I'm unsure. I still love Amazons.

A Macaw :red: was always on the top of my list, but given how noisy these birds can be and the space required to keep the bird happy it may not be possible. I do have enough space for it, but to an extent. More concerned about the noise level and the possibility of being bitten by one. I'm completely aware of these birds typically being friendly, but the possibility still exists and it's rather frightening.

Right off the bat I was recommended an African Grey by my mother, friends, and various other sources. My mother had a Timneh African Grey (TAG) before and she loved it to death. Unfortunately she had to sell it due to her abusive husband at the time. They are well known for being great talkers, but I'm not too fond of them not liking cuddles and them not being a hands on bird. Some videos on YouTube show these birds being cuddled, pet, ect. ect., but the uncertainty of my future CAG (Congo African Grey) not being cuddly is a massive drawback.

I want a bird that I'd be able to take places. A bird that I can harness up and take to the park, take on walks, and overall take out with me frequently. I'd like a bird that can talk, but that's not my main priority. Cuddling of some sort is almost a must. I'd really love to have an affectionate bird. Greys can be trained to be so, but it's rather uncommon.

I'm mainly deciding between a DYHA (Double Yellow-headed amazon), a Scarlet Macaw, a Blue Throated Macaw (The rarity and looks of this bird make it very appealing to me), a Congo African Grey, a Cape Parrot, and a Yellow-Dormant Camelot Macaw.

I have lived with birds for most of my life and I am capable of supplying their needs and giving them the attention they need, and deserve. I've had Budgies (who hasn't?), lovebirds, ringnecks, and Monk Parakeets (Quakers) in the past and I'm able to tend to their needs. While all of these are rather basic birds, I believe I'm ready for the challenge and difficult, but rewarding task of taking care of a larger Parrot.

Thank you!

Last edited:
FYI can't read the colors especially the yellow.

Would help if you give details of your living arrangements, your home (space, companions), and your schedule.

FYI can't read the colors especially the yellow.

Would help if you give details of your living arrangements, your home (space, companions), and your schedule.

Time and space are of the essence. I have hours on end to spend time with my bird and space is not an issue. I can accommodate something as large as a Macaw.

Edit: Got rid of the colors

If I could only have one of my large parrots (everyone knows my fav parrot is my tame lovebird), I think I'd have to choose the African Grey. Their empathy and intelligence as a lifelong companion/peer are just a level above any other animal I've ever lived with. My Grey has floored us so many times with his absolutely spot-on, in context communication. He also is a one of the most affectionate birds I have. He will lay upside down in my arms like a baby and submit (demand) deep-feather massaging for as long as you'll do it. He also has never in his 14 years seriously bitten me, which I consider a plus. While Greys can be shy, they aren't always. Mine will go to just about anyone (and on the few he has refused, I just grant him that he may be a better judge of character than I am). So, I voted Grey. ;-)

I'm voting for the Blue Throated Macaw. It sounds like you want a macaw, considering your list of wants and the fact that you were drawn to this particular species. If you want cuddly, I would pass on the Amazon and congo grey. If by some chance you do get a grey, I would suggest a timneh.

What about a red fronted macaw? BTMs are great and would be my first choice but if you don't have any in state breeders you need an alternative since you can't buy across state lines. My understanding is that RFMs are comparable in personality to the BTM.

Last edited:
What about a red fronted macaw? BTMs are great and would be my first choice but if you don't have any in state breeders you need an alternative since you can't buy across state lines. My understanding is that RFMs are comparable in personality to the BTM.

There is a blue throated breeder that's 20 minutes away from my home. Red fronted macaws are nice nonetheless

There is a blue throated breeder that's 20 minutes away from my home. Red fronted macaws are nice nonetheless

LOL! That's pure luck ;)

It does sound like you ultimately want a large macaw. Since it sounds like you can accommodate one, IMO you should get the bird that you know in your heart that you REALLY want. Otherwise, no matter what you get, you know you will still want the macaw ;). There are tons of members here who are experienced with macaws to guide you along every step :).

I'll vote for the yellow dominant Camelot :).

I had to smile when you said "I've had budgies (who hasn't)"... I had parrots for many years before getting my first budgies lol.

It does sound like you ultimately want a large macaw. Since it sounds like you can accommodate one, IMO you should get the bird that you know in your heart that you REALLY want. Otherwise, no matter what you get, you know you will still want the macaw ;). There are tons of members here who are experienced with macaws to guide you along every step :).

I had to smile when you said "I've had budgies (who hasn't)"... I had parrots for many years before getting my first budgies lol.

Budgies are usually the first birds people purchase, due to their affordability and small size. I mean, they're $7 at my flea market :p

I'm now deciding between a Camelot or other type of hybrid macaw, a blue throated, a scarlet, or a Grey.

Hm......

Budgies are usually the first birds people purchase, due to their affordability and small size. I mean, they're $7 at my flea market :p

I'm now deciding between a Camelot or other type of hybrid macaw, a blue throated, a scarlet, or a Grey.

Hm......

First birds for me were exotic types of finches. I never had interest in budgies back then. In fact I'm just getting interested in them now, after keeping various parrots in the past plus my current flock. I just love the cute funny little guys.

Some of the hybrid macaws are stunning. The ones like Camelot with lots of yellow are extra gorgeous imo. Someone here who hasn't been on in a long time has a Camelina (Camelot and Catalina) who is VERY yellow and stunning looking. BTM and Scarlet are on top of my list for most beautifully colored parrots also.

Hm......

First birds for me were exotic types of finches. I never had interest in budgies back then. In fact I'm just getting interested in them now, after keeping various parrots in the past plus my current flock. I just love the cute funny little guys.

Some of the hybrid macaws are stunning. The ones like Camelot with lots of yellow are extra gorgeous imo. Someone here who hasn't been on in a long time has a Camelina (Camelot and Catalina) who is VERY yellow and stunning looking. BTM and Scarlet are on top of my list for most beautifully colored parrots also.

I love the ones with extra yellow. Beautiful birds.

Is $1,500-$1,700 good for a Blue Throated baby?

Is $1,500-$1,700 good for a Blue Throated baby?

For the person selling? Absolutely!

Okay, so not a great deal for the buyer (Me) There aren't very many on the market.

BTMs are typically priced in the mid $2000s. So I would expect to pay somewhere between $2000 and $3000, though I have seen higher but not lower for a baby from a reputable breeder.

What state are you located in? I know you said you had a breeder nearby, but where you get your baby can make a huge difference. Is this breeder abundance weaning? Fully fledging? What's the socialization program? All are pretty crucial steps for a breeder to be paying attention to and if you're going to pay BTM prices you should demand they put in the extra effort to set your baby up for success.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back