Playing under cage paper ๐Ÿคฆ๐Ÿปโ€โ™€๏ธ

CosiGirl

Apr 2, 2022
Parrots
Budgie
Over the course of the last month, Cozy has taken to shredding her cage paper and going underneath it. Iโ€™ve been trying to get her more exercise, some new toys, etc to try to keep her away from it, but after sheโ€™s had her fill of the new stuff she goes right back to her cage paper project. Unfortunately, my cage doesnโ€™t have a bottom grate. Any tips on how to get her to stop? Iโ€™ve attached a pic for fun because she does look adorable when she does it but I know itโ€™s not good for hormonal reasons and the potential ingestion of the paper.
DB8180E4-8223-49CE-B499-BFDDF6AB6F9D.jpeg

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Over the course of the last month, Cozy has taken to shredding her cage paper and going underneath it. Iโ€™ve been trying to get her more exercise, some new toys, etc to try to keep her away from it, but after sheโ€™s had her fill of the new stuff she goes right back to her cage paper project. Unfortunately, my cage doesnโ€™t have a bottom grate. Any tips on how to get her to stop? Iโ€™ve attached a pic for fun because she does look adorable when she does it but I know itโ€™s not good for hormonal reasons and the potential ingestion of the paper.
View attachment 41197
Ok, sorry for the "haha" emoji, but it's so funny how these guys do the weirdest things. Jeff used to go INTO THE TRAY despite there being a grate(only if outside the cage) just to get some seeds.

OP
CosiGirl

CosiGirl

Apr 2, 2022
Parrots
Budgie
Ok, sorry for the "haha" emoji, but it's so funny how these guys do the weirdest things. Jeff used to go INTO THE TRAY despite there being a grate(only if outside the cage) just to get some seeds.
Hahaha, I know itโ€™s funny. When she does it, she gets so focused, we call it, โ€œworking on her projectโ€. I canโ€™t, it cracks me up ๐Ÿ˜‚

But seriously, any tips on how to get her to stop or a safe way to keep the paper down so she canโ€™t lift it up? My husband was like, โ€œput some medium sized paper weights in thereโ€. What do we think? ๐Ÿค”

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Hahaha, I know itโ€™s funny. When she does it, she gets so focused, we call it, โ€œworking on her projectโ€. I canโ€™t, it cracks me up ๐Ÿ˜‚

But seriously, any tips on how to get her to stop or a safe way to keep the paper down so she canโ€™t lift it up? My husband was like, โ€œput some medium sized paper weights in thereโ€. What do we think? ๐Ÿค”
Maybe you can add some rocks down there to weigh it down.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
View attachment 41197
Picasso does this too! Female budgies tend to be slightly more chewy and cuddly (in my experience), so maybe that's why? Cossie certainly doesn't get nesty when she does it!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I have made a cage grate using hardware cloth. It is wire mesh that has squares of 1/4 inch. It comes on a big roll. You can go to a hardware store and have them cut you off a piece, then cut it exactly to size with a heavy scissors or tin snips. You might need your mom or dad to do it for you.

One way to make the hardware cloth grate more sturdy is to leave it a couple of squares too big and then bend the edges under to stiffen them. You can flatten the edges with a pliers or a hammer.

This has worked for me when I needed to keep my bird from chewing up her cage paper. You donโ€™t want her to make a nest and lay eggs. Thatโ€™s dangerous for the bird.

Last edited:
OP
CosiGirl

CosiGirl

Apr 2, 2022
Parrots
Budgie
OP
CosiGirl

CosiGirl

Apr 2, 2022
Parrots
Budgie
I have made a cage grate using hardware cloth. It is wire mesh that has squares of 1/4 inch. It comes on a big roll. You can go to a hardware store and have them cut you off a piece, then cut it exactly to size with a heavy scissors or tin snips. You might need your mom or dad to do it for you.

This has worked for me when I needed to keep my bird from chewing up her cage paper. You donโ€™t want her to make a nest and lay eggs. Thatโ€™s dangerous for the bird.
Thatโ€™s a great idea too, thanks!

Most Reactions

Latest posts